- advertisement -

My Seven-Year Old Does Not Need a Bra, Thank You Very Much

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's just crazy...and, yes, the padded bras for pre-teens just totally set me over the edge. even now I take my teenager shopping and I think "why do you need a pink and green polkadotted bra? who exactly is going to see this?

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well coming from a mom that just bought her 5 year old dd a sports bra type of tank top, I know very well what is in the girls section now adays.

BUT, my dd wears her pump in the tank tops and needed a good supportative top for the PUMP not the boobs, or lack thereof.

So the pump has a bra. Not my 5 year old.

4. tresmom

tresmom Approved members

My dd just turned 9 and wears a bigger bra size than me. She needed one around 7. She is also wearing a size 16 in children's clothing though and very, very tall for her age. Some 7 year olds do need bras. I don't know what's up with girls hitting puberty so much earlier now. I have a couple neices that also need bras now. (That being said I had a hard time finding one for her that wasn't padded. She certainly doesn't need anything drawing attention to the fact that she needs a bra already. She hates wearing a bra, but when my nephew asked my sister why does Chrissy have boobs I knew we had to do something?)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

there's a girl around that age in my family who needs a little extra coverage there. Not sure if it's cause she's in the chunky stage (she always gets a bit heavy then stretches out) or if it's early puberty.
    what she was describing is a little extra material in a tank top, not victoria's secret!

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I needed a bra when I was around that age. I was always really skinny, but bigger on the top:eek:
    My niece is 11 years old, about 5'2 and she has been wearing a bra since that age, although not a padded bra or anything.
    Anyway, I don't consider a cammisole with a built in bra a real bra...it doesn't do anything for anyone...sorry:eek::rolleyes:

7. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

To me I agree.. But there are also 2 sides to every thing..

1st I am a mom that refuses to buy my dd, short shorts.. YOU know the ones im talking about... At our house she gets bermuda shorts... PERIOD. My hubby and i both believe that to many companies are trying to age our kids way to fast. There is NO reason what so ever that some of the kids to be wearing the stuff they do.. BUT on the same hand there are some kids that do hit puberty early or older girls that are just small that do need some things... I have a DD that started hitting puberty (per endo) at age 8. She is now 9 and has need a bra. I have been looking and have been completely appalled at what i found.. SERIOUSLY padded bras for little girls that are just starting to bud. No that is not ok. AGAIN this is my family opinion. And i noticed they are no longer called training bra's either.. They were called something else.. ( i cant remember to be honest) ... For us when they need it, they need it.. BUT it wont be over the top, padded or any thing like that. I can also tell you my dd is in the 3rd grade and is not the 1st one to have to wear one. there are at least 4 other girls that wear them now and they need it.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

OK - as someone put there are two sides to every story....my dd is in middle school now but when she started out, we found lots of cute non-padded bras for her to wear (try justice). However, as she got older (you will notice this in swimsuits too) the larger the size, more of the bras came with padding or at the very least inserts...she soon realized that padding was a good thing because at first she didn't want anything to do with it but bought a swimsuit with a small amount of padding. T-shirts from old navy and aero, etc. are cut smaller (even if you do buy a larger size than you need) and the material is thinner so the padding let's other "things" not be shown if you catch my meaning same with swimsuit tops. She won't wear any other type of bra now. We do try to avoid the really padded ones but she likes them and not for the purpose to appear larger than she is.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  9. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Years ago (probably 2000) we were at a wal mart in El Paso TX (Ceilo Vista Mall if memory serves), looking thru the toddler section for my then 4 yr old daughter something to wear. We came across a 3T teddy. I'm talking, bone framed corset, lace, the whole nine yards - teddy. No surprise that the majority of the crime that find in El Paso are sex crimes against children.

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I thought shopping for a bra for myself sucked!
    I had to get my daughter, 8 at the time, she is now 9 , a bra.
    A light padding I can understand so nothing shows thru, but more padding and an underwire! It is very hard to find clothes that meet the dress code as is, the shorts and skirts are to short, shirts to tight.I want her to be dressed like she is 9, not looking like she is going out clubbing:eek:

11. chammond

chammond Approved members

So glad I have little boys!:D My sympathies are with you. Of course, I will probably have to shop for a cup:eek:

12. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I could not have said it better my self!!!

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

not to derail, but have you seen the prom dresses this year? totally backless, cut down to the butt. It's ..horrifying.

or..they're princessy ball gowns. one or the other. lol.

14. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

I buy my ten year old the little half undershirts with the elastic at the bottom for an extra layer. She doesn't need anything else and they are appropriate.

I've already decided that my daughter will go dress shopping with her dad, stepdad, uncles and papa and if they all decide she can wear it to prom, well then she can have it. :eek: