- advertisement -

My semi brainstorm for a dog idea

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Jul 17, 2012.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I know the topic of diabetic alert dogs is a hot button issue. But the other night I had this aha moment.

What if a dog could be trained to respond to a CGM alarm? I know the biggest fear people have is that they'll sleep through an alarm. I'm thinking it would be really easy to train even the family mutt to go get a parent if a CGM alarms.

Dogs and kids are naturally hanging out and often the family dog sleeps with the kids anyway. It should be easy to do. Every time the CGM alarms, the dog goes to a parent and gets a treat.

Maybe even the dog could be trained to get glucose gel or something for adults who are living alone.

So this wouldn't be a "diabetic alert dog" trained to smell lows or highs, just a dog who responds to an alarm and makes sure someone takes action. It wouldn't cost thousands of dollars, most likely just a bag of treats.

If a dog can run to the door when he hears the doorbell, certainly, he can be trained to respond to a CGM alarm. Just a thought for those of you who already have a dog an a CGM,

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've had the same thought- maybe if I made my alarm go off every time I fed the dog (by going to the alarms section and moving pressing the down and then the up key), then anytime the dog heard the alarm he'd think "meal time" and maybe even bug me to feed him, right?
    But I've never had any pet other than a goldfish, so for now I'm only thinking future thoughts.
    I have a really characteristic night time low smell- if I wake up having been under about 50 for more than about an hour, I'll have a very specific smell. And if I can smell it, a dog could too. So I think I could train a dog with that smell too. At least, I hope I could.

I've been thinking, every since I read that there's an iPhone ap that'll go off when your alarm does, about just getting an iPhone- it's gotta be cheaper than a dog. http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2012/06/dexcom_and_earthquakes.html

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I don't see anything wrong with training a dog to lick your face when it hears a CGM alarm. Seems like a cheaper option for sure.

"Juice box, boy ... juice box".

4. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I think this is a great idea. The trick is getting the dog to "alert" every time, not just when he feels like it. If I were going to do this, I would consult a good dog trainer and do it right.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how about one of those little barrels filled with juice,

You know like in the cartoons, with the sait bernard and the barrel of whiskey or whatever for the person freezing to death.

6. steph

steph Approved members

i like this idea too. but i wonder why they dont just make the cgm alarms louder. it seems like a common complaint of not waking up to them. they should be like a fire alarm. i need an alarm clock that's like a fire alarm. i sleep through my night time alarm to check my DD more often than i'd like.

7. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have the app on my iphone for the ISeismometer, which is a really loud alarm that is meant for earthquake that I read about here. Normally we use the Sonic boom, but I actually downloaded it just in case she forgets it again when we go away. My son recently started using the Dexcom since his Navigator finally bit the dust and I thought it would be good for him also. Too bad he just got a new job and had to turn his Iphone in for a blackberry. He says he doesn't need the extra alarm anyway, somehow the vibration wakes him up and he doesn't usually have problems at night anyway.

9. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Two things come to mind.I think most people who want a DAD want one because they don't have a dog, don't want a dog or can't have a dog (allergies). Secondly, I have heard that the MiniMed CGM alarm is not loud enough (may have been an earlier version and the newer ones have louder alarms??). With the DexCom, I think people put them on a glass near them to hear it at night.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

Putting the Dexcom in coins or in a glass usually means I wake up to find that I've been "out of range" for most or all of the night. It is not a good enough solution.
    Also, although it's louder that way, it's really not enough louder.

The minimed alarms didn't wake me up consistently, although they did so more often than Dexcom (Dexcom hasn't woken me up since the first week I had one). But minimed now has a 3000 dollar extra device that has alarms that are lots louder. It doesn't work with any of the older models or the Guardian.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I think these are great ideas. It's not worth buying a dog just to bark at your alarm but if you have a dog you should be able to train it to do this. This is the basis of clicker training and it takes about 5 minutes. You click and give a treat, click give a treat, etc. After 10 times when you click your dog comes running for a treat. it's step ONE of clicker training. You can do this with your alarm easily. And dog's have exceptional hearing, not just smellers, so they would be quite adept at this. I think you can train a cat to do this. Or even a bird.

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

is one of them named yoda? my dog yoda is exceptionally stupid. :D his only redeeming quality is his cuteness factor.

you must not have any cats, you dont train them to do anything, they train you. I have 5, and must say, Im a well trained human. :D

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

I have a friend with a service cat. There are cats with the right personalities. My friend's service cat is a social signal cat (for autism related issues), and is certified for the state of New York; the cat responds to some large number of commands and also doesn't get aggressive if somebody gets too close or whatever.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

I was visiting my mother and my son slept with me in the bed and I put his Dexcom in a little glass bowl on the nightstand and, man, that woke me up. I now have a ziplock bag taped to the side of his bunk bed with medium sized sea shells in it and lay the Dexcom on the shells - that makes it much easier to hear with the monitor.

15. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Agreed!! Great idea and can be easily taught as well!!

16. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We have a cat that will fiercely rub on Jared when he is low. We noticed he did this about 3 years ago and at first we thought it was a coincidence but no that cat knows when he. Is low and ithink heis trying get our attention. We call it a cat scan:D

17. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We recently became "dog-free" about a year ago. As much as we miss our dog, it's nice to have our yard back and not having to rush home to let the dog out, etc. Lately however, I have been trying to convince DH that we need a new puppy to train it to sense DD's lows (lol, my excuse for getting another dog). DH put his foot down and said NOOOO!

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Did your previous dog pass away ?:(

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

but if it where a "D" dog then it would not be alone and at home right?

I so want a "D" dog but, I am in in school and do not ave the time to train, right now at least.

maybe that is a good thing, because my dd is only 7, I would much rather introduce a "D" dog that will assits her off to college.

it would be much more acceptable to have a doggie check in on her in the middle of the night than mommy.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Aren?t you hopeful the technology will be better in 10-11 years time?
    It just strikes me as ironic that with the advent of DAD?s and now that it is 2012 some people make diabetes out to be more disabling that it was in the past. Ironically, from reading some threads some posters make it seem like diabetes is currently more disabling than it has been over the 11 years I have had D