- advertisement -

My oldest has now been officially diagnosed :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kunkfam, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

My daughter has been drinking more than normal and I have noticed extra moodiness as well. We did meter checks last night and with great sadness we saw those terrible words HIGH. I have been in touch with my sons endo and she started novolog and lantus last night. Needless to say I am exhausted and didn't sleep. Any prayers and words of advice for this second time around would be appreciated!

2. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I'm really sorry. I have that fear for my boys and I really can't imagine the sinking crushing sensation. Knowing all that it really means in some ways it must be worse the second time around. I'm so sorry. How is she taking it?

3. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I definitely felt my heart and stomach sink. She cried and was scared. Sadly not so worried about the disease it's self but worried about being different and friends treating her different. She is a freshman and high school can be rough enough.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

sorry about the dx. I was wondering how second dx work. Do they go to the hospital too, or does the endo already figure you know what to do and just tells you how much insulin to give your child.

5. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

Our endo just told me how much insulin to give and I am taking her to be seen today. I have to say I under did what she said initially out of fear of lows last night. I have a feeling because she wasn't as sick as my little guy she will be sensitive for a while so I wanted to play it safe.

6. Wren

Wren Approved members

I'm sorry.

This is so trivial in the scheme of things, but we received a catalog from Lauren's Hope last week with a lot a nice medical ID jewelry. My tween likes stuff like that.

My daughter also likes Diabetic Danica. You can find her videos on YouTube, and at least one is on friends, and there are some on answering people's questions, some D-related parodies of popular songs, and other topics teen girls would relate to. Danica is a college student who was diagnosed at age 11.

7. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

I am so sorry to read this. I wish you all the best the second time around. I keep wondering whether my younger son will ever be "out of the woods" in terms of escaping diagnosis. Sounds like the answer is no. Good luck to you and your daughter.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm so sorry this happened. It is a fear for all of us with more than one child. Freshman in HS? What a tough age. I truly hope that her friends are extra supportive and treat her no differently than before.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'm sorry Veronica. I hope her appointment goes well today. It's such a challenging age to get the dx, and probably will be very different than your son's initial diagnosis.

good luck!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So sorry to hear. It was crushing to have my second one diagnosed. Hugs

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

The second diagnosis is harder for sure, because you know how difficult it is. I am sorry, hopefully she won't have to be admitted.

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Something similar happened to us - we had our youngest diagnosed young, then got a surprise diagnosis years later of our oldest. Our son has struggled so much more, just because of his age :( He's in middle school and that 'fitting in' and 'feeling normal' is an additional problem. It was hard, too, because we had years of experience...but absolutely no experience with puberty, tween emotions, middle school nurses, etc. And it was so hard because he knew what was happening and knew what to expect because he'd watched his sister live that life for so many years.

I'm sorry you have the second diagnosis to adjust to. We had so many comments like, "At least you know what to do!" and "Oh, you probably expected it, huh?" that I felt like support was harder to find, when he actually needed more support than my daughter ever did.

I hope you and your daughter can meet with the doctor soon and that you can help her make a plan. For my son, getting on a pump asap was a huge help, if that's something you think your daughter would want to consider. And the Dexcom makes day to day management so much easier because I don't have to 'nag' for info at the end of the school day. Good luck!

13. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I am so thankful to have this group to come to! It's seems that everyone thinks it should be easier this time and it's a whole new set of emotions except people here! :( She is handling everything pretty good(probably better than me). I faxed paper work to dexcom today. She asked about the pod like her brother but the endo said that she possibly would honeymoon soon and to just ride it out for a few weeks and then we could see what we thought then. I guess this is just another chapter in our book of life. Thanks again for all of the kind words!

14. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Gah. So so so sorry! Remember to breathe. And sleep. And cry!

15. suej

suej Approved members

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I also fear for my older son and not sure how I would manage if he also got diabetes. I wish you strength and hope that things go as well as they can.

16. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear that. Our youngest was dx two months after our our oldest and it was just as heartbreaking. More so because my oldest daughter was hysterical over it. She didn't react like that to her own dx.

Having two makes you really appreciate the fact that you can get pump/meter/cgms in different colors. Less chance of mix up. We also use different colored paper when we hand log. (Which I sometimes do when the numbers are wacky because it's easier on my brain then downloaded info from the pump/remote. I seem to spot trends better that way. lol)

(((Hugs)))

17. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

So sorry to hear that - always a big fear. I pray she does well and God gives you strength you need to face each day. One day at a time, amd hugs to you and your family.

18. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and prayers! I have definitely needed them. It has been a long week. I kind forgot how much MDI was a pain for us. We upped her lantus by one unit and now we are having drops and lows at night but she seems to need that amount during the day. She cheers at her high school so it may just be lows from that. Ugh!! Not fun stuff!