- advertisement -

My neighbor a vent

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

can I just say two words:
    Bark Collar?

Ugh, they put their dog out at 530 and the dog barks constantly. I can't believe the dog is actually able to have a bark after going on for so long.
    People have hinted to them that this is a problem, but they don't see an issue.

Their idea of training is putting in an electric fence and letting the dog run against it a few times at the highest setting. Oh and they tie the dog to the snow blower because they like watching him eat the snow that comes flying out. One day, that's going to be a disaster.

I wish Fisher Cats ate dogs:eek: or at least clueless owners.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Oh and they tie the dog to the snow blower because they like watching him eat the snow that comes flying out. One day, that's going to be a disaster.

Call Animal Services, this is clearly abuse.

3. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Call your local animal control or police and ask about barking laws. I would keep a log of times and dates and how it affects your life (waking up kids, or yourself) and you can even video tape it as evidence for the police. You need to show that it's not just a dog barking every once in a while, but out of control.

Are they away while the dog is barking and not there to hear it? If so, I would show them the video tape. If they are reasonable, then they should do something about it.

Good luck - I understand how annoying that can be.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We have similar issues with the neighbors behind us, they have a very small dog out 24/7. We looked up city ordinances online and we got them on a noise violation. They got a warning then slapped with a fine. This has kept them quiet for awhile. We did call the cops on them several times and it did nothing. It got to the point where no one in this house could sleep.
    We had snow this year in the valley and their solution was a heat lamp!

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Did you want the bark collar for the dog or the owners????:eek:

6. madde

madde Approved members

Do they spend a lot of time with dog off of the leash? Dogs will often bark uncontrollably if they aren't getting enough attention/excercise. I think it is extremely rude of your neighbor to allow their dog to behave this way when they live so close to someone else. I would definitely do as others have suggested. You have a right to peace & quiet in your own home.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  7. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Sounds like our neighbors behind us. They have 2 beagles that bark non-stop. After my next-door neighbor and I both had confrontations with them (the guy actually threatened us both). We called the cops about 4 times with no result. It was obvious they didn't care if their dogs barked. So, we ended up buying this machine that discourages barking off the internet. It puts out a high pitch whistle every time the dog barks. We mounted it on my kids' playset so it points into the neighbors' yard. They don't know we have it. It took about 2 weeks, but the dogs have been much better lately. Good luck. We even considered moving to get away from them!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, it does. It's a herding dog, so it needs lots of exercise, which it doesn't get. They have two kids with medical issues, one extreme. This was not the best match for the family. Something with less energy and power would have been better. They went by looks purely, not by compatibility.

And I would love to get her a bark collar:)

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Most states have laws about this kind of thing, either the dog barking during quiet hours which are usually 10PM-8AM I believe or excessive barking. I would give the dog warden and anonymous call and complain about it. That poor animal:( I dont know why some people insist on getting pets they cant care for properly

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

we have neighbors like that.

they have one of those terriers-got one after that movie? my dog spot?
    that was at least 10 yrs ago.

the dog has finally gotten better or maybe idk what has turned the tide.

We used to be nice to them, last time my husband called them up the owner of the dog said "well my dogs got to have a life"
    great its 11pm and your dog has been barking forever.

If you animal control can't help-our is useless- then call the cops on them. we have stopped dealing directly with them. havn't had to call cops on them in many years, but for a while we had to.
    believe me a couple of cop calls will stop this or at least slow it down some

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Ugh, we could have the same neighbors. My neighbor's dog also barks nonstop. Hate that. Then the two of them scream at each other all evening. My parents have a very yippy dog. They were considering getting rid of it because it yipped so much. Then they got a bark collar. He got zapped like twice before realizing that he couldn't bark and he'd be fine. He rarely wears the collar now. I know some people think it's cruel, but it starts low and works it's way up in settings. He knows he can't bark. It's no different from a hidden fence.

I've thought about going over and slipping a collar on my neighbor's dog. Would be the best $30 spent- making property values go up in my neighborhood!

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We have a herding dog. If we left it outside all day without any company, it would bark once every three seconds for 12 hours straight. Every day. I hate it when people pick pets that are high maintenance and then don't step up. The pound is full of, like, four breeds of dog that people keep getting because it sounds cool and then dumping because they are actually more work than they wanted to spend. :(

I think you have every right to call the police, etc., just a quick caution. We had a neighbor who put his dog out, the dog would come over to our yard all the time and chase bikes, he didn't have a fence. We nicely called him every time and made him come pick up his dog, thinking this would push him into getting a fence. Instead, he had the dog put to sleep because "it wouldn't learn to stay in the yard." I don't consider this my fault at all, but I suspect I'd have found a different way to deal with it if I'd known he was this much of a rotten guy. Just a thought, sometimes people who are bad to dogs are, well, bad to dogs. :mad::(