- advertisement -

My Kid hates me cause we called 911

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That sounds scary, sorry you had to go through that. I think you did ABSOLUTELY the right thing. I also think a 13 does not need to be writing banners like that. But that's just me. Glad everything worked out, hopefully he will learn from it....And just remember, there are plenty of other things he will be hating you for in the near future....:D

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Yes, it really does suck.

What a frightening experience. So sorry you all had to go through this.

4. Mike&Dans.Mom

Danny spent too many years keeping things locked up inside, and it was making him very depressed. We spent some months at therapy and we found that if he is able to express his feelings on paper he gets them out and then goes on. He is allowed to write whatever he feels - but this one is not going on the fridge!

5. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

So sorry you had to go through that, I think you did the right thing if he was out of control. Talk to him into changing his banner to ""diabetes f***ing sucks":cwds:

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Understand......

Perfect!

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Diabetes sucks and so does being a parent sometimes! You did what you had to do, end of story. In my book you get parent of the day award! Good job!!

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

You did what you had to do - it doesn't matter if he hates you right now - he'll get over it (it sure hurts though).

That must have been pretty scary for you - I'm sorry you had to go through that.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry. You did the right thing, no doubt. He's embarassed and taking it out on you.

At a later date, I might change the policy about him being able to write whatever he wants on banners. It's one thing to write "mom effing sucks" and keep it in his personal diary where no one reads. But it really is disrespectful to you to make a banner saying that. He can get his feelings out in a more respectful manner or get them out privately.

Hugs. That must have been so scary.

10. Mike&Dans.Mom

You know I come on here for an understanding shoulder and I get crap about my son making a swear word banner.

I'm through.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hey I gave you parent of the day award! You did good! Focus on that..YOU DID GOOD!! You did what you had to do!!

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I didn't see your original post (stupid internet kept going down) but I get the general idea of what happened.. I don't see anyone giving you crap though, I'm sorry you feel that way. I see concern for you that your son was disrespecting you.. Whatever happened, I hope everyone is alright.

My 7.5 year old told me today that since she knows the word (she was talking about a swear) she should be able to say it..lol

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm not seeing anything in this thread that would warrant this response.

Diabetes is hard. It's hard on parents, it's hard on kids. In order to keep our kids safe we sometimes have to do things that they resent - and not just with respect to the diabetes. They will express that resentment.

It is your call about how far you would let "freedom of expression" go in your household - but note that there are differing views about this, and that people are free to express those different views.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thank you for this, Wilf. Maybe a post or two were deleted, but I didn't see anything unusual.:confused:

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That, and the original post was edited to take out the gist of what happened.

16. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

If it has something to do with my response, I sincerely apologize, it was not my intention to make you feel bad or pass judgement to you or your son.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think she's referring to my post. I don't think any posts were removed.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was trying to offer support as well as stand up for you a little bit. I felt badly that you were being treated poorly for what I thought was making a brave and obviously unpopular decision. It absolutely sucks to make a decision that we know will make our kids furious. Sucks, and I didn't want you to be made to feel more guilty for it than you already did.

I'm sorry. I tried to PM you to apologize personally, but you apparently have them turned off. :(

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I am sorry your son is so upset...Just know that you did the absolute right thing. If he doesn't "Get" that now, he will later :) (((((HUGS)))))

19. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

You definitely did the right thing! As a mother, you made the choice to protect his health even though you knew it would upset him. What else can we do, as parents? I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm sure he'll come around and realize you made that call because you love him so much!

20. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Karla, I didnt see anything offensive in your post or anyone elses so Im stumped!! The statement you made was right, in my opinion anyway.