- advertisement -

My Kid does not feel her lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Trev, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

Hi there, I wanted to pose a question to the group of Parents with children. Does anyone in the group have a type 1 child who has hypoglycemic unawareness, and has no response when their glucose is low? I just posted a blog on this topic but want to ask you folks. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I would say that practically every child is like that.
    NOT all, but most.
    That's why my insurance approved the Navigator/Dex for my daughter

3. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

My son has had diabetes for 6 years (he's 10 now) and only feels lows occasionally. He can be super low and not notice and other times only slightly low and feel it. Very scary. He never feels lows at night. As soon as the Dexcom CGM comes to Canada I will be first in line.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

She has no hypo awareness at all.

5. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

my DS is hypo unaware as well, its one of the reasons they are putting him on the cgm. at one point when he was in the hospital for complications the nurses re-calibrated thei moniter because he was at 32 and running around hyper and happy as could be, they could not believe he was so low.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My kids feel their lows. The older one I noticed was able to do this sooner than the younger one but maybe it was a age thing. The younger one still has to get to 50 before he can feel it.
    But, they never usually wake up at night from a low...

We use CGMs.

7. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

No low awareness here either

We've been at that almost three years, and no low awareness, unless it goes real low (below 45), or goes down real fast (like when NPH overlaps with Fast acting).

Yet, I notice that the boy starts acting silly in the non-usual acting silly way, then I measure him, and bingo, he's low.

But very few times he comes forward saying "I'm low".

I understand that this goes away with age (fortunately), and that it is common in most children.

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Oscar hasn't felt his lows for a while now. We rely 100% on the CGM and it catches most of them. The CGM isn't much good for hockey though - we've had a 1.6 and he was still powering up and down the ice with not a bother on him - we only caught it because we test every 20 mins. He has never woken up from a nighttime low even when he could feel them. Early on he used to shake like a leaf when low - now his body rarely responds like that. I can usually tell by looking at him - his face drains of all colour - it's the only outward sign. It's a big worry.

9. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Caelin is hypo unaware also. I can usually see it in her eyes and when she's very low she gets pale. I ask if she feels low and she says no but I know better most times.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack is almost 7, has had D for over 3 years, and I can think of one time where he might have felt a (fairly severe) low. He didn't voice it, but he looked terrible.

The rest of the time, he's got the same energy level and demeanor whether he's 30, 130, or 300. It's why we can't live without the CGM at this point.

11. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

If my daughter is awake she feels it sometimes, other times not. She rarely wakes up when she is low, and can sleep through both her pump and Guardian beeping. Scary.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sometimes our daughter feels low at 70, other times she feels fine at 40. It might have to do with how much insulin is on board at the time, or other factors.

13. angiej

angiej Approved members

I am incredibly grateful (and feel very fortunate) that Alice does feel the majority of her lows, and has done since she was about 6yrs old. Obviously we catch the odd one that will surprise her, but I get the impression that for a girl of her age, the fact that she spots most of them is unusual.

We do not use a CGM.

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'd say 90% of the time Ashleigh feels her lows (or when she's dropping). But there's in the rare occasion where she'll test before a meal and be in her 50's and not have any symptoms.

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son notices his lows when they are in the 40s. He was about 12 when he started to notice this. Most of the time, lows are caught by testing.

I think it is the norm for children not to feel their low blood sugar.

16. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie is starting to learn how her body feels when she is running low.Most of the time I can tell by looking at her and confirms it when I test her but since I am not there 24/7 it's been good for her to figure out what her body feels.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter can definitely feel a low that is going to occur (ie. dropping), or if she is in the mid 60's to 70's. However, she cannot feel her severe lows. For example, she was 34 once, displaying all the classic symptoms to us, by didn't feel it.

18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Daniel did not feel his lows at all for the first year and showed no signs of lows. He got to 42 and was running around like normal. In the past year or so, he's been right on the money--often letting me know when he's only at 69 or 70! A few times, he insisted he was low when the meter showed otherwise--turned out the meter was wrong and he was right. He does still get into the 50s, but does let me know. His behavior, though, still does not change. If he hadn't told me, there would be no outward sign that he was low. Just wish he could "feel" highs, too.

19. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey doesn't feel a low until she is in the low 40's or dropping very quickly. She doesn't feel a low at night.