- advertisement -

My intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nanhsot, Feb 20, 2010.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and decided to register and jump on in. My son was diagnosed 2/5/10 and our world is still reeling. He is 15, this came pretty much out of the blue with no family history whatsoever in a very very healthy teenager who rarely gets sick and hadn't seen a MD in many years.

I think that's the toughest part for me personally, I'm very much into natural healing and nutrition, so it has been very hard for me to give up control of that to the medical establishment. I work in home health therapy, so I am not against the medical profession, just prefer to find alternate treatments when possible. I guess not so much anymore though.

My son is away at his first birthday party since diagnosis and I'm struggling mightily today (pizza, cake, ice cream, popcorn...). At 15 I have to let him make his own mistakes and decisions, but it's tough. I am the researcher/medical person in the family so most of this has landed on my shoulders. My husband seems to think I have it all in hand. I really don't. If one more person says to me "if anyone can handle this it is you..." I may just SCREAM. :eek: The thread in the parents forum about wanting to take a break from it prompted me to join, I am so there. Just want to wake up in the morning and NOT think about blood sugars.;)

All in all he's doing wonderfully with it, very calm and focused, only one OOPS with his calculations (he's taking novolog after meals, lantus at night), I am quite proud of him.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and soak up all there is to know.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi and welcome!! glad you found us.

3. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Scream away. We all have or will at one time or another. D sucks and there is no if ands or buts about it. It's doable and manageable, but not fun. Glad you decided to join.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:) Im glad you joined. We all know and understand what your going through and its not something that you just get and deal with overnight. It does take time to learn, be patient with yourself and let your son know that you are there for him. I hope he is adjusting to life with diabetes ok. Are there other kids in his school with type 1?

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We are a homeschool family, have been for 8 years now and going the distance to graduation. However, it is interesting how once you mention the diagnosis almost EVERYONE knows someone who also has it! One of the moms in our 4H club has been an immense support for me, loaning me books and listening to my panicky questions, calming me and talking with my son directly and openly. He also has hooked up with a kid on the homeschool basketball team who was also recently diagnosed.

To answer your other questions he's taking it really well, he's anxious (and convinced) for the cure, impatient for a pump, but overall he's really handling things maturely and calmly.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome, I hope you find this site supportive and educational. As for being into natural healing, maybe if you looked at it that insulin is naturally occurring in everyone's body. Except in people with diabetes, so they just need to do it manually. Not sure if that helps or not. I also think that children should see a doctor on a regular basis, even if they are not sick. It sounds like your son is handling his dx very well, you should be proud of that. :cwds: