- advertisement -

My intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Karenwith4, May 13, 2008.

1. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I'm Karen

I have 4 kids - ds10, b/g twins who are 7 and dd 4.
    My daughter Emily (7) was diagnosed in late November 07 with type 1.

We are a homeschooling family from Canada.

Karen

2. 3js

3js Approved members

Hi Karen:) I enjoyed chatting about volunteering the other day:)

3. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Hi Karen,

I enjoy your perspective on things. Very refreshing and open minded.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes -
    "Minds are like parachutes, they function best when open."

Ed

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Gotta agree with you there.

BTW, Love that quote!

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Thanks for sharing some info with us.. It sounds like you have your hands full!!

6. Karenwith4

I did too!
    Karen

7. Karenwith4

Thanks!
    Karen

8. Karenwith4

On some days more than others :D
    Karen

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Hi Karen! [​IMG]

We homeschool too - finishing up our 2nd year and I'm trying to decide what to do for next year!

10. Karenwith4

Hi Nancy

What style of homeschooling to you ascribe to?

We fall into that nebulous relaxed eclectic category until I freak out and go all WTM on the kids for a week until I realize that doesn't work so well for us and go back to our relaxed approach again :D

Karen

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Karen:

That sounds like me. I love the Well Trained Mind approach but haven't gone nearly that classical

We use Sonlight for History - love Sonlight.

I use a WTM recommended science - My World Science - but my oldest is moving out of that (its elementary level)

My son uses Horizon math and daughter uses Saxon math

I have used a variety of LA programs and that is my biggest struggle - we have used Sonlight LA this year but I've enrolled the kids in a IEW writing workshop next year, so I want to move to more of a grammar curriculum (Sonlight is more of a writing focused curriculum)

I throw other things in there for good measure

12. Karenwith4

We love a combo of Bravewriter, Junior Great Books and the Deconstructing Penguins approach for literature. My eldest uses a grammar book I found at a teacher store which plays to his strengths and interests. For my younger ones who are still just early readers and spellers we just read grammar picture books and watch a lot of schoolhouse rocks :D

I collect math programs like some people collect china. We have Miquon, Singapore, Hands on Algebra, Living Math History, and the Challenge math series. I love them all for different reasons and so we use them all for different reasons but sometimes I think I might have a math version of ADHD. lol.

For science we mostly build our own unit studies. We've done biology with RS4K but I ended up supplementing a lot. It's spring which for us means biology - caterpillars, tadpoles, etc living on our dining table.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  13. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

OOOOOO, "Living Math History" - what is that all about?? Sounds interesting.:)

14. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Karen, your photo "Fog in the streetlights" is wonderful!! I have picked out at least half of your pictures that would look fabulous on my wall:)

15. twodoor2

Um, yes!! Why aren't you making a ton of money doing this? You are extremely talented, and you have an amazing eye for the beauty in nature. You should use some of those pictures in your avitar!!

16. Karenwith4

You guys are really very kind - thank you!

Marsha the Living Math History is a program from this website. Living Math is a homeschooling approach whereby the kids learn math through living books (which distinguishes them from textbooks), games, hands on activities etc. The woman that runs this website sells a math program that teaches math in a chronological format beginning with the mathematical discoveries of ancient civilizations and moving through time.

We have her Ancient History program which we (sort of) tag into our history studies. It's a fun way to explore math (especially for my history buff) and exposes kids to some pretty big concepts in an interesting hands on way. Often children can understand concepts before they have the computational skills to play with them. The context of history also helps kids see the progression and the next step of math and provides some real world applications for these concepts. (great for those "why should I learn this" types of questions).

hth
    Karen

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  17. twodoor2

Karen,
    Thank you for the program, I'll check into it.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

OK - I wanna see the pictures - I went to your page, but saw nothin - did you post them somewhere?

19. Karenwith4

Hi Lee

I posted my blog in Keltonsmom's intro - we got talking about photography. She posted a link to some of her beautiful work as well - it's definitely worth it to go find that link.

Here's my photo blog which I updated because I was embarrassed about how neglected it was - lol

Karen

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  20. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Um, Karen your photos look like professional work we use in math textbooks (my job)!!! Excellent - wow!!!!!!! I'm not sure how you submit, but we use work from istock.com, etc...