- advertisement -

My girlfriend is type 1

Discussion in 'Spouses and Significant Others' started by welcometotheshow, Aug 25, 2008.

1. welcometotheshow

welcometotheshow New Member

My girlfriend is a type 1 diabetic. We have been together for about a year and a half. I've gotten used to the testing and the needles. I love her so very much. also, most of her life, her mother has nagged her to test her blood all the time. and my girlfriend gets so sick of it. I sometimes feel like I cant ask her to test her blood because she gets it enough from her mom. How would i go about getting her to test more often without her being upset or annoyed. Also, if anyone else has some pointers on how to be more involved in her disease, I would appreciate the help.

2. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Your girlfriend is ONE lucky girl to have a GUY who wants to be involved/cares about her that much! I just had to tell you that!!!!!!!! Try and talked to her without being demeaning be kinda like "I care about you a lot and I know your mom annoys you when she nags your butt off about testing but I worry alot babes sometimes and would it be alright if I asked you to test a little more often. I love you and thats why I'm asking you"

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Personally, I would just ask her to test more and if she gets upset with you or whatever, just tell her you love her and want her to be healthy etc.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Tell her you don't want to be a nag and ask her how you can respectfully support her in a way that will allow her to take better care of herself. Offer to check her blood sugar yourself, rather than asking her to check it. Be as nonjudgemental as you can possibly be.

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I vote with Lantus fiend! Great answer.

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

if she is still on syringes, ask her if she wants you to give her her shots. Maybe offer to check her sugars for her. And if she carb counts, maybe offer to figure out the carbs at certain meals. Just be there for her:)

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I agree with most of the above comments...
    I would say just try and help her with her D care. Offer to do some of it for her...we can get burnt out, and tired of hearing the same thing over and over, and its really nice to have some help sometimes. :cwds:

Let us know how it goes, and good luck! :)

8. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

Hello,
    I usually ask my wife if she is hi/low and judging of her response ie: I just did an hour ago, or I havn't tested since this am. I will go off that, one thing I learned from my wife is that this is HER disease and as much as I want to take and control it, it's hers and suprisingly she is very protective of it. So try what you can, she will let you in more and more as it goes, we dated for 4 years before being married and I still get put in my place with the diabetes. If you have any questions or anything PM me.

9. volund

volund Approved members

Well, having her test your sugar can sometimes break the ice, and jokes can help.

good to see I'm not the only boyfriend on here too....

10. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

I don't know how long your girlfriend is having D and if she is looking after herself and if her numbers are fine in general.
    If yes: I wouldn't ask her to test herself too often, only if you think from her behaviour or any signs that seem strange to you, I would ask her and then make sure she tests herself. Tell her you care and what you noticed.
    I can understand that she is fed up wiht people always controlling her. Specially when she has to handle an overprotective mother ond top of the D.
    If no: show that you are interested and caring, test yourself as well, let her test you and you test her, be supportive and not controlling, that's most important I learned.
    In general be good informed about D, I don't know if you have been to a D course for relatives or related persons. That's very helpful as they have tips how to get involved and how to handle special situations.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

As a mom, I appreciate when I know my son's girlfriend has some fast acting carb food items with her should my son have a low BG (blood glucose) level. Now this would be more difficult for you because my son's girlfriend carries a purse. :) I know she has extra equipment - insulin, meter and test strips at her house as well. Some of these things you may not be able to do without her being in agreement really.

You sound like a very kind and caring person.

12. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

It's OK about the purse thing, every time my wife and I are at the store check out, I grab her favorite candy and just buy it and shove it in her purse. :p