- advertisement -

My First, "Oops I forgot" ..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Aug 1, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I forgot to give his Lantus.. woke up at midnight...damn!...panicked..woke up dh....what do we do?...Yep....paged the endo...those 8 minutes he took to call me seemed eternal!!..Okay..."don't panic"... I hadn't bothered to check his reading before I called endo..Daniel had gone to bed at 10:30 with a 263...anyhows....per endo's instructions we gave him the 6u of Lantus...said his numbers may be a little higher in the morning(although right now he's been coming down nicely without corrections in the am)....and to just give Lantus a little later tomorrow and then move back the time each day till we're back to 8:30..
    Daniel woke up and got mad at the shot, but he knocked out very quickly right after, don't think he'll remember... So now about 2 hours later, his reading was 109...guess it kicked in.. His number has never been this low at this time.....hmmmmmm hope it doesn't make me lose sleep and have to check soon again cause it means he's going low.....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. danielsmom

Eh....sleep is overrated LOL..Just checked his BG again(hour later)...he's at 104..so he seems stable....will try to catch some zzzz's now until later..

3. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Oh, I remember forgetting the Lantus...and beating myself up about it for days. Though, that was not as bad as when I gave her 8 units of Humalog instead of Lantus...these days that would be no big deal, but then she was still honeymooning and I had to come up with something like 150 carbs quickly...not easy when you're kid has just eaten.

It happens, and you caught it in time. Yes, you'll test more tomorrow and he'll run a bit higher, but it's going to be okay.

This whole diabetes thing makes ensures life is never boring, doesn't it?

4. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

I just want to say I have BTDT. You are NOT alone.

It is great that your endo responded so quickly, and gave you solid advice that appears to be working.

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Oh, I remember forgetting the Lantus...and beating myself up about it for days. Though, that was not as bad as when I gave her 8 units of Humalog instead of Lantus...these days that would be no big deal, but then she was still honeymooning and I had to come up with something like 150 carbs quickly...not easy when you're kid has just eaten.

Omg, I did that when we were only a few weeks in, switched the NPH and humalog amounts. Lol, hanna was thrilled as I was stuffing her with ice cream and I was feeling hysterical like I had killed her.

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J used to get 9 units of Levemir at night and 13 in the am (IIRC) and I once switched those amounts, giving him 13 each time. Freaked me out!:D

7. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Been there, done that - kind of figured out my mistake after having to feed my son glucose tab after tab at 10:00 P.M.!

Stephanie, mom to Jacob
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome to the club that most parents here are a member of. :cwds:

9. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Been there, done that...bought the t-shirt.

Our first week home I gave Bobby Lantus instead of Humalog...I FREAKED OUT! Paged the endo and was sobbing by the time they answered, wondering if I had just killed my son.

Bless the on call doc for talking me down, and for telling me that virtually every single patient mixes up or misses shots along the way...and that there is always a way to fix things.

That last bit is what it took me a while to truly grasp, but its a great comfort. Highs, lows, mistaken or missed shots...it all happens and there is always a way to fix things.

You are new, you are sleep deprived...hang in there, you'll be okay. :cwds:

10. tina

tina Approved members

oh, I missed my little boy's lantis for the first (and hopefully only)time, the night before last....the next morning he told us at breakfast "mommy you forgot my lantis" Urgghhh....mom fail.

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Oh yes me too. And I cried when the endo on call said "what? you forgot Lantus! Other parents have NEVER done that.;)" He was being funny and trying to calm me down, but it made me cry.But now I do laugh about him saying it. Everyone here has done it. It happens. And he'll be ok and you guys will get back on track.

12. danielsmom

In spite of my lack of sleep...my sore neck.... Daniel woke up with 135.....so his own body must still be working.....before I went to bed again after checking him the second time...I went over to him and grabbed his arm so he would stir....He wouldn't,....so I kept shaking him arm a little harder...Sleepily..."why are you moving my arm mom?"...me inside my head...um just giving you some love(and making sure he was sitll alive lol)....of the Lantus shot, the two finger pokes..He only remembers I grabbed his arm and was shaking it...

13. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

This actually just happened to me 2 nights ago for the first time. I totally forgot her lantus and felt awful about it ever since. She reminded me the next morning too :eek: