- advertisement -

My first impressions of Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, Feb 13, 2014.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

The first thing that comes to my mind is fantastic accuracy! We had a few problems the first 5-6 hours with ??? but after that it has been really spot on with differences no more that 10 points from his meter. In the end it was really easy to put it on and both my husband who tried it first and my son said that insertion was almost pain-free. However from day one we had problems with the adhesive it keeps coming off. With my husband we didn't have this problem. Could it be that he had a hot shower just after we put it on? I don't know. The only down side for me is that the sensor is bulky. This is the only complain my son also had, that it sticks out too much. For this reason only he is not repaired to use it 24/7 but selectively and I do understand him, though these two days he had it on were the ones in a looong time that I didn't wake up to meassure his bloodsugar! Bliss!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We avoid all showers/swimming for a few hours on either side of a sensor change. It just seems that they adhere best to dry, dry skin.

Mine wasn't thrilled with the height of the sensor at first, but over time she's used to it and rarely complains - she knows that there are benefits in it for her as well. Not just the obvious better management, fewer surprises etc but less nagging from mom, greater freedom etc so I wouldn't be too quick to give into the bulk argument. CGMing can be done occasionally, but I'm not sure it is all that effective when it is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We initially tried the stomach per directions, then arms, and have settled on the lower back. My daughter prefers it there because it's out of her way. She didn't like how many times she bumped it on her arms. Each kid is different, so try lots of spots to see what works best for yours. It's worth a occasional bribe to get them to try new spots.;)

We tape over ours as part of insertion with Hypafix and it lasts the life of the sensor.

If you're only using the sensor for two days, you're not even being to see the best readings of it. Our sensors last 10+ days typically.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Your adhesion issues are almost certainly related to the shower he had right after he put it on. If you put it on after the shower (wait an hour or so), you'll get better results. Ours will stay on a few days without extra tape, but then the edges start peeling up. We use Opsite Flexfix at that point to tape it down, and virtually all of our sensors last 14 days that way.

Glad you like it! :)

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We try to time it so that we have 1+ hours before/after showering. If the skin is too soft, I find it just doesn't stick.
    We tend to use the stomach or back of the hip for placement.

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I echo not showering before or AFTER insertion. My son's sensors usually last 11-14 days. HOWEVER, once I put a new one in, had him take a shower about an hour later, and the sensor came off in the shower.

I would stay away from water a while before and after insertion. We usually don't have ??? at insertion - it usually starts right up. Hopefully, you have a good sensor.
    :) WE love ours.

7. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

We always have issues with the adhesive as we approach day 6 or 7. It must just be something about my daughter's skin. We find that a little Opsite Flexifix over the top of the adhesive works to hold it in place once it begins to loosen.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We have to put Opsite on upon insertion or it falls off. I wish we had the accuracy that everyone else has into the second week. When we tried to go 8 - 10+ days, we just saw lots of inaccurate numbers. We are now resigned to just change on schedule every seven days. I don't know why we can't keep it on longer like everyone else - it stays stuck, we just get inaccurate numbers.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It just must be a body chemistry thing. We find days 10-14 to be our most accurate.

10. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We're on day 10 and Dexcom has been pretty spot on (within 5% of finger sticks), much more accurate than in the earlier days of its life.

11. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's what everyone says and I'm disappointed from a practical perspective that this is not the case for my daughter.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

I just talked to the Dexcom rep a couple hours ago. He'll be submitting it to our insurance tomorrow. It's great to hear so many positive comments about it.
    Has any one tried using Benzoin tincture to help the sensor stick. We use it in the summer for pump sites. It makes pump sites stick so well they're difficult to get off even with adhesive remover. And it's cheap, $5-$6 for a bottle that will last for years. Swab it on with a Q tip, let the alcohol carrier evaporate for a minute or so and it's ready.

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We avoid showers right before and after Dexcom and pump site changes. And we avoid swimming right away, too.

We tape at insertion - both kids feel better having it taped because they don't worry about it coming off.. I think my daughter would be fine without it, at least for a few days, but son isn't sticky enough and I don't think we'd make it two days.

I'll check out the benzoin tincture. My son is allergic to all the adhesives we've tried so it's a pain, but maybe this one would be different :) I would love to find one that was friendly to his skin!

14. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Thanks for all the replies! We are definatelly not going to put the next one near shower time. I think that not sticking properly has made my son conscious about the whole thing. He said he will leave it on until his basketball game on saturday, he said he can't play a match with it on cause everybody bumps on each other and he wouldn't like the feeeling and he is afraid it will come off. I am not going to push him. I think he is seeing all the benefits so I think he will eventually want to use it more. The funny thing is that his brother also wants to try it!

15. susan0909

susan0909 Approved members

Just make sure that any adhesive you use is only on the tape area, like a doughnut and not right where the sensor wire goes. No one told us that and I used skin tac over the whole area with three sensors. All failed within 4 or 5 days with more hours of ??? than numbers. I was so frustrated because I had such high hopes for the Dexcom. Finally talked to the Dexcom rep and she told me that the adhesives can degrade the enzymes on the tip of the sensor. I was doubtful about that explanation, but I stopped using adhesives entirely. Never had that problem again. We use Tagaderm after about day 7 when the edges start to lift up. We aim for two weeks with each sensor.

16. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If you have two kids with a Dex, do the receivers get confused?

17. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Not yet :) Weve been using them since last spring and it hasn't been an issue. Only problem we have is at night sometimes. We stand them in a bowl (to keep them from getting lost under a pillow) between us and sometimes they sort of lean together and it's like one blocks a signal because we'll get a few missing dots on the second one. We have it set to alarm for missed signals, though, so when it goes off we just separate them so they aren't stacked and all is well. It's pretty rare, though - one of those things we've learned to be careful of. Our bigger issue is mixing them up and correcting the wrong kid at night! We now wrap a hair elastic around DD's at night ;)