- advertisement -

My first D total screw up..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

No kidding! I was so worked up over this I forgot to give the older dog her ear medicine. Guess I won't get pet owner of the year either.;)

Thank you ALL for your reassurance. I am just waiting for the school to call with his lunchtime BG.

2. MamaBear

Ok I'm really not very patient with some things. I called the school. He's at 114! PHEW!

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

See it's OK (((((HUGS)))))

4. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Glad it worked out okay!

We seem to be in the messing up trend, too.

1. Yesterday we bolused for breakfast... twice:eek:,

2. got a low reservoir alarm after breakfast this morning because we forgot to change the site last night,

3. and a weak signal alarm this afternoon because I thought we had until tonight to change the sensor, but apparently we changed it at lunchtime :confused: last week.

Of course, we planned it all that way so we could get all the mistakes over in one swoop, :rolleyes: and have a couple weeks of smooth sailing.:D Right in time for another series of mistakes to roll in just before the December endo app't.;)

5. sugarmummy

sugarmummy Approved members

I've done it too...felt the worse mother in the world...keira was vomiting & we nearly ended up in hospital...I didn't realise I had missed it until I went to give her her morning dose & saw the night time one still dialled up on the pen...it happens,...however careful we are...we are all only human.

6. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I always forget fast acting or if I do a combo bolus for like pizza uh duh second half is needed lol I swear or forgetting to have her test before food. She actually does that a lot at school but I am there daily so I remind her.

7. MamaBear

Thanks again every single one of you for sharing and easing my mind. My daughter took one of my pads of post its and made a little tear off calendar that is sitting in the fridge with the lantus. So lets hope that I can remember to tear off the sheets of paper with the dates after I remember to give the lantus! His numbers were great all day,not one high not one low. But it makes me wonder, WHY when 2 weeks ago I did EVERYTHING right, he had 3 too low lows, and 3 too high highs all in the same day, but when I forget his Lantus, the numbers are totally perfect? I guess it's just how diabetes goes? One day at a time, from check to check. :cwds:

8. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

This probably isn't going to make sense so give me a break, please. My eyes hurt from crying and I'm exhausted with a long night ahead of me.

My dd went back on shots for the summer and learned this little trick from a friend. (It had been a long time since we've had to do a night time shot and we kept forgetting it!). There's probably all sorts of reasons why this shouldn't work but it worked like a charm for her and never threw her numbers out of whack.

When you forget your Lantus you just take the number of hours you have left before your next shot is due and calculate the number of units you need to last until the next shot is due.(See, that doesn't make sense to me this late at night so I hope I said it right). For example: if you have 6 hours left until your next Lantus is due and you usually take 10 units of Lantus then you would only take 2 1/2 units and then take your next dose at the usual time. Or like your endo said, take 1/2 your dose if it's been 12 hours. If you have 18 hours left then take 7 1/2 units. Totally making those numbers up.

Anyway, we ended up having to do this more than once.....okay, more than twice and her numbers remained surprisingly stable.

9. MamaBear

It makes sense. :) I'm sorry you're sad and exhausted.:(

10. FatCatAnna \\^^//

FatCatAnna \\^^// Approved members

I've forgotten - and I'm my own caregiver!

We all have forgotten at some time. Something comes up, and we forget. I know I get mad at myself, because I don't have a Mum to take care of me. To run abit high will not do a child any harm for a short time like what you had to endure. Trust me on this - since as a child - where I had to give my own shots to myself in the a.m. since my Mum went to work - I must have forgotten once in awhile (I can't remember - so obviously it didn't happen too often - but I'm sure it did).

Your child will still love you as well - just remember that :eek:

11. MamaBear

:) Thank you.

12. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I wish I'd seen this post earlier...but let me tell you...when I made my first d mistake...oh just a few weeks out from diagnosis (so you've already got me beat) I didn't double check the Lantus that Cass was drawing up and dosing herself with. I wouldn't have even caught that it wasn't Lantus, it was Humalog, except that I happened to be standing at the fridge door and she asked me to put it away. And I FREAKED out. Because she had just given her little honeymooning self 8 units of Humalog. Do you have any idea how hard it is to do come up with that many carbs, after dinner when a kid is full?

And do you have any idea how much I kick myself now for freaking out? It's the reason that Cass is STILL hesitant to dose herself with insulin. And then, a month later, I made the same mistake because I was talking on the phone while drawing up her insulin:rolleyes:. Oh, and on the day of her last endo appointment? I forgot to give her her shot for her breakfast, and then walked out the door and drove an hour to her endo's office without any insulin. Yeah, that was fun...

This stupid disease sucks because it's so easy to make a mistake, and so easy to see how a mistake can become a huge deal, that even when we catch and correct the mistakes, we beat ourselves up about what might have happened.

You are not NOT not a bad momma. You are a normal human being who is under way too much stress, is entirely too sleep deprived and being forced to become an external pancreas for your precious child. A bad momma wouldn't know or care that she didn't administer the dose. Don't beat yourself up.

Oh....and next week, when I make my next stupid d mistake, and come here telling you all what a bad mom I am....will you remind me I said all this?:p

13. MamaBear

Thank you. You must have been scared I'm sure! This is one of the reasons I posted here. I knew you guys would get it and have some stories to share. I was still crying when I posted this actually. Only took a few responses for me to calm down. I know where the beating myself up habit comes from,and it's hard to break. I just need to learn to roll with the punches I guess when it comes to this mofo diabetes.

14. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

When we moved time zones, our endo actually told us to just forgo the Lantus shot while we were in transit. And then as soon as we got to our destination, we just started giving her the Lantus at the same time here. Meaning, she went uncovered with Lantus for almost 24 hours. We were just giving her the novolog for the meals she ate.

Yes, unfortunately, this won't be the last mistake. Let's be forgiving of ourselves. ;)

15. MamaBear

There's something for me to work on..ah guilt. I do feel alot better about this now that we have passed another bedtime and he actually got his Lantus,and just passed another 2am check. He was 113. Now if I could just get myself to fall back alseep.

16. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I think it would be hard to find someone here who hasn't done this at least once. ::hug::

I also reversed the insulins not once, but twice. I called the endo the first time and she reassured me that it happens all the time. Still, I beat myself up over that for a long time. :eek: