- advertisement -

My first D total screw up..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaBear, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

..and I feel horrible and stupid!:( We did his bedtime check. Great number! Told him to go brush his teeth. Then realized at 6am this morning that I forgot to give him his Lantus!:eek: I normally give him 4 units EVERY night at bedtime, EVERY night. I have never forgotten and I'm not sure why in the world I did last night. My cell phone has an alarm set, so does his phone, they are set so we can do both the lantus and the blood check. I called the endo on call to wake him. He gave me 2 options, half now half later, or whole dose now and work up every 2 hours until we reach bedtime,just like we did when we came home from hospital. Since he'll be in school the next few days, I chose half now. Bracing for possible highs throughout the day.The endo made a joke and said "really? Well i've NEVER heard of a parent forgetting a dose of Lantus.. JUST KIDDING" then he assured me he will be ok. I often appreciate people trying to aleviate a bad situation with humor, I do it alot, but that made me cry. I don't feel too much like mother of the year right now. :(

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have all made mistakes. I look at it this way, you remembered this morning and 'caught it'.:cwds: What would have happened if you hadn't remembered until tonight. With all the things we/our children have to remember mistakes are surely to happen.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

MamaBear - your endo was just trying to make you feel better - I swear! He probably gets that call 3 times a morning!

We all have done it! I promise! So no - not the worst mamma.

4. MamaBear

This is why I posted here.I figured you guys would understand. I have no real world friends who deal with this.

I know he was, but at first when he said it I thought HUH? :confused::( then when he said he was kidding I felt a little less like he might call CPS on me. He said it happens and it's to be expected. I guess I just felt like I finally got the ball rolling pretty well, then bam the ball rolled into a ditch.

5. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

Bless your heart! If it makes you feel any better I have forgotten SEVERAL times:eek:. If not for Matt remembering it himself we would have made a late call call too.

After wards I kicked myself royally... "what kind of mother forgets a life saving measure" "how can a child remember and I can't"... well you know the crud we say to ourselves.

Right now we are new and our brains are still very much in shock I think. I know mine is not functioning like it used to AT ALL:( The alarm is a great idea until it gets to be the new normal that all these "old timers" keep talking about. In the mean time cut yourself some slack (taking my own advise) and get a cuppa with the rest of us bad mothers.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I went camping with my pump sitting on the bathroom counter still from when I took it off to shower before leaving. The whole group of us had to turn around and go back!

His blood sugars will be high for a few hours, he'll get tonight's dose, and everything will be back to normal. It happens. It's just a bump in the road.

7. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

I just finished basal/bolus class and they taught us what to do about forgotten lantus because, they said, EVERYONE FORGETS!

8. MamaBear

I'm starting to agree with a friend of mine that "normal is just a cycle on the washing machine". And yeah I'm totally beating myself up with the "what kind of mother forgets..?"

So far his numbers have been good. 2am (oh sure I remember to do that but not lantus?) was good and the 6am (when I remembered I forgot) was good. We just did another one before breakfast and it's good. I'm afraid of what lunch time might be. I'm thinking I may need to help the school health aide with a noon time correction dose.

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I have done that miss trick myself, more then once.

pick the ball out of the ditch and start rolling again.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'd go as far as to say I don't think it's possible for a parent of a child with diabetes to not occasionally forget a shot.

The problem with diabetes care (one of, of course) is that it is very, very repetitive.

So memory works that you harken back, remember pulling the syringe, filling the syringe, using the syringe. . .

Well, when you do that 6 times a day every day for a year, that's 2,190 repetitions.

It's really hard to remember if you've done one of the 2,190 or not.

You just do your best, but you have to be all right with these kinds of mistakes, be able to shrug them off, or they'll weigh you down and make it harder and harder to do your job. The perfect becomes the enemy of the good. Glad you came here to tell us and get the burden off your chest, now give yourself a bowl of ice cream or something and have a great day.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Human being are an imperfect external pancreas. We will make mistakes. The fewer we make, the better. I doubt the occurrances will ever go to zero.

12. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Any idea how many times a day I have to check the IOB, because I'm not sure if I bolused him for the food he just ate??? I just don't remember. The problem with D care is that it is so repetitive we are often on auto-pilot. And they don't let pilots fly planes if they are as sleep deprived as we are! Someone should scream "UNION" on this D thing!

13. simom

simom Approved members

Oh geez - we've forgotten everything at some point! It is totally normal!! - no bad mom about it.
    Things we've done:
    forgotten to give Lantus
    forgotten to bolus for food
    forgotten to measure food before half was in his belly and guessed on dose (guessed right, have also guessed wrong.....)
    forgotten to do set change (pump) until his pump gave a "low reservoir" warning
    forgotten the meter when leaving the house
    taken the meter without realizing that we had no strips
    taken the meter without realizing that we had strips but no poker (lucky break on that one - child at next table pulled out her meter, and we put a new lancet in her poker to do our poke - had a great convo with Mom and child about D)
    Scolded for behavior before realizing he was high as a kite and feeling awful.

You will probably make some or all of these mistakes too.
    We try to follow something I've learned from this site which is: fix it and move on. You did that! Keep up the good work - you are doing a great job for your child.
    B

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

No worries! :)

I can't imagine that there's a soul on here that has a perfect track record. I know I don't. For example, we managed to give the same Lantus dose twice here :eek:

In your case you remembered to check overnight, and BG was fine. Moreover you realized your mistake, and are alert. Any issues that come up today you just correct.. :cwds:

15. samheis

samheis Approved members

Don't beat yourself up too much! Hard, I know. I did this for the first time 3 weeks ago. Only it was his breakfast lantus, and I sent him on to school. 2 hours later, it hit me that I'd forgotten!!
    I think it's a good sign (gasp!) It means diabetes isn't numero uno in our brains any more.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

honey, let me tell you about the time that I gave Steven 7 1/2 units of humolog instead of lantus. This was shortly after we changed him over from NPH. I still am so thankful that I realized it before I put him to bed!:( I had to feed him so many carbs that night. I wanted to vomit and do some type of self abuse for being such a dumb a$$ but I put some tools in place so it would never happen again and it didnt. I labeled everything, wrote big signs to always check the vial before drawing up with a syringe, etc. You are human and just the way God wants you to be, imperfect and always learning

17. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

It is so reassuring to know that this website is here. I have forgotten to check his strips, needles, counted carbs incorrectly, forgetting to call in refills and then remember when the pharmacy is CLOSED!
    I've been guilty of giving him a stern lecture and then realized it was actually my fault :( ...... and the list goes on...

I agree....
    You are NOT the worst Mamma! I believe we've all given ourselves that hat to wear from time to time.

18. sooz

sooz Approved members

His numbers sound good so far! I agree we all make mistakes...Just this morning I got a call from Hailey's school. Her pod was alarming. I asked them what it said on the PDM and it turns out that my daughter forgot to change the pod this morning and her pod was expired! It happens. Everyone is so busy and there is so much to remember!

19. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Please don't beat yourself up over this! As everyone else has said, it's impossible not to screw things up once in a while. We've forgotten Lantus, forgotten meal boluses, forgotten set changes, and given incorrect doses based on bad calculations. We're only human. The trick is to be aware enough that you can catch any problems that might result from the error, and to be on top of it enough to be able to then correct the problems. You've done that beautifully well.

It's kind of like getting the first scratch on a new car - it's really painful when it happens, but then you realize it's just a little thing in the sceme of life, and you move on. Later scratches are a little easier to bear. :)

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

First one eh? It wont be your last...A few highs really wont affect him in the long run. Next time I probably would have just corrected the highs he had today then given him his normal dose tonight;)