- advertisement -

my endo problem

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Megnyc, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Mish

Mish Approved members

Our pedi clinic keeps the kids on through college instead of transitioning them to the adult center, for the very reasons you've listed. Many kids do want to transition, but during college is the absolute worst time to have a diabetes team that isn't fully on board. And with everything else going on in a college kid's life, it's nice to have that same old same old diabetes home base. It stinks for your daughter that her experience has been less than great. Can she go back to the peds endo?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm covered under my mother's insurance plan. She works for a university (not the one I attended) and it is actually really good coverage. The plan offered by my college is actually excellent but it is $2400 a year. Since my parents have to pay for family coverage anyway due to my younger brothers, it made the most sense to just keep me on that plan and save the $2400. The bigger issue is that my college is in a relatively small town and while there is a teaching hospital nearby none of the endo's there who were accepting new patients took my insurance. Had I had the school insurance they would have made an exception but I without school insurance I was not a priority. I was able to be seen throughout college at the school health center but they do not have endocrinologists on staff.

Hopefully that makes sense! I was generally pleased with the healthcare I received from the school health center and everyone I have talked to who has the school insurance plan has only had good things to say. So I think at least some colleges do offer decent coverage.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Hee Hee, sadly it makes sense to probably most of us on these forums. :smile: Ali