- advertisement -

My DH and his Eating Habits

Discussion in 'Spouses and Significant Others' started by Jenn&Type1DH, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jenn&Type1DH

Jenn&Type1DH Approved members

Hey everybody, i am new here, and have been married to my DH who is Type 1 for a little over a year.....and I feel like I am fightint a losing battle with him....as far as keeping him on track with being healthy. He is overweight (as well as I)....so I want to get us on a healthy eating regime....the problem?

HE DOESNT LIKE FRUITS AND VEGGIES?!? I am wondering sometimes how he stays as ok as he does eating what he eats.....the only veggies I can get him to eat is carrots(uncooked), green beans and corn. Fruits he will eat is apples and strawberries. Now he thinks a half a serving of green beans at dinner and an apple at lunch is sufficient intake of these foods. He eats, Pizza(anywhere from 2-3 pieces at a time) , huge portions of his meat and potatoes, he also eats late at nite after I go to bed even when he tells me he shouldnt, and he drinks anywhere from 4-8 diet sodas a day.....I tell him from what I have read that this is all bad for him and even if he doesnt eat sugar that carbs turn into sugar, but he just tells me that he takes enough insulin to counteract.
    Now I havent seen him have many bouts of High Sugar, so he doesnt see a need to change, but he has lots of low sugar bouts in the evenings and especially in the middle of the night.
    Is it ok to just take a bunch more insulin and eat whatever you want? Does anyone else have or is a Type one that hates fruits and veggies? I just love him so much and I want us to live a long happy life together! :confused:

2. Jenn&Type1DH

Does anyone have any advice for me here?

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes it is okay to take more insulin and eat whatever you want with type 1 diabetes.

But he might be getting vitamin deficient with his diet and should maybe be taking a multi vitamin. Diabetics store some vitamins abnormally, and it may be helpful to take zinc and vitamin D, and the rest won't hurt.

P.S. And he might need to eat a bedtime snack or change his insulin dosing if he is having frequent lows at night. Night time lows are the most dangerous because they are the easiest to ignore, and staying low for a long time is more likely to lead to long term damage.
    I did just mean to say that it's okay to eat whatever you want in terms of the diabetes; if he has high blood pressure (aka hypertension), then he may need to be treating that, and eating a diet appropriate to that (lower salt, with an ACE inhibitor).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Jenn&Type1DH

It makes me feel much better knowing its ok that he doesnt like veggies and fruit, and am I correct is saying that it isnt ok for him to take just any multi vitamin? We both take Vitamin C....Maybe getting him a multi for diabetics would be better for him than trying to have him force down spinach? lol j/k

And about the night time lows, it seems he contantly snacks at nite, and we have yet to pinpoint his lows.....is there a danger to a diabetic from drinking a lot of diet soda, or is that something else Im just too overprotective about?
    thanks!

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Take a look at what the multi vitamin has- the ones for diabetics in particular are expensive. I don't know if they're better than a standard multivitamin, but zinc and vitamin D are particularly implicated in frequent deficiencies in diabetics. He might want to ask his endo if the endo thinks he needs any vitamins in particular based on his labs, too.
    I don't think diet soda is more dangerous for diabetics than for other people, but the research on the healthiness of diet soda makes me uneasy and I rarely drink them. I'm also one of those diabetics whose blood sugar is raised by artificial sweeteners, which means I'm better off drinking sugar than diet soda, but that's the experience of only a tenth or so of us. If you look for research on diet sodas, or even ask this question in the general or parents' forum, you may find that some people know more about this than I do.

6. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Both my husband and I have been successfully losing weight for the past year now. And we're still working on it. My husband has a blog talking about what he's done, how he does it, and how he keeps himself motivated etc. He's been getting a lot of guys following his progress while they battle weight gain too. Maybe your husband would be interested in reading through some of it. It might inspire him.

I have learned a lot about my husband and our relationship, especially where food and healthy eating comes into play. It's life changing. But I'll tell you honestly, I don't think I would have lost the weight without him, and I don't know that he would have been as successful this past year without me (But I'm not taking any credit for what he's done!). It was really a team project.

Take a look, and let me know if you have any questions or if you just want to talk.

http://zeusmeatball.blogspot.com/

Charmed

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think it is great that you are so interested in his diabetes. However, it might be helpful if you researched Type 1 a little more. Honestly, we all grow up hearing about Diabetes and how food has to be micromanaged - but that is not the case for T1's. He can drink all of the diet soda he wants, he can eat what he wants, and also when he wants. Honestly! I promise! of course, there are other health concerns to worry about with being overweight (Raising hand here!) and having uncontrolled eating. I think, if I were to approach him about a healthy eating lifestyle - I would leave the D out of the conversation.