- advertisement -

My daughter said something that made me sad yesterday

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, May 27, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I can't post this on Facebook because my oldest is on there and I didn't want her to see it.

My oldest is 17 - she helps a lot with Emma's care, for which we are thankful.
    She was helping to make dinner last night because hubby was out and I wasn't feeling well.

She and I were munching on a few chips out of the bag and Emma walked up and grabbed and chip and went to eat it.

My oldest turned around and said "Emma, you can't just eat chips like Mommy and I do. You have to dose for them."

I'm sad that had to be said, and I'm sad that my 17 year old is around this disease enough to know that! :(

2. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

My daughter does stuff like that, too. It doesn't make me sad, though. It makes me happy and proud that she understands the basics of it and is not afraid to speak up when she knows it's in Christopher's best interest. It shows she cares for him and wants him to make sure he does what he needs to.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I agree! You should be proud of your older for looking out for her sister. :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I am in the minority. Just thinking of it from the perspective of an 8 year old with diabetes, the comment could have been upsetting. It probably wasn't, since you didn't say it was in your original post, but I probably would have taken Samantha aside, not in front of Emma, and something to the effect of I really appreciate you helping out with Emma, and it is great you are looking out for her, but one chip is probably not a big deal and your comment may have made her feel bad.

Just a thought.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Christopher - I actually did both things. I told both of them, together, that one chip isn't a big deal but reminded Emma that she couldn't graze without dosing.

6. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I completely agree, one or two chips is no biggie but if more than that to let you know so you can bolus for it.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

As long as it didn't impart the thought of an exclusive "Mum and Me" club - you don't belong... ? without meaning too... :(

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Another way she might be taught to handle it could be "Emma, where's your Ping? I'll help you bolus."

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have been known to ask my dd to put in a bowl a whole serving and combo it out for 1/2 hour and then give everyone else a bowl. We can all be at the feed bucket together.
    Or I will ask her if she thinks she wants more? lets get you a snack?

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

but did you tell both of them what they could do?

I remember a few summer's ago, all the kids at my house and playing outside and in the water. I made my dd a plate of chips and poured the rest into a bowl for everyone else to share. She had such a sad face and said she just wanted to eat out of the bowl like everyone else.

I said OK, looked at the package counted kids and bolused for her share and kept and eye on the Dexcom.

Sometimes it is just about doing things in the same, uninterrupted way that others do that is all that is needed. Just like being in her classroom and "looking" at her food choices and ignoring my itch to weight that or this and bolusing her as she goes. In lue of her being first in line and going to the nurse to bolus and get back to an ending celebration.