- advertisement -

My Baby Boy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HudsonsMom, Feb 1, 2011.

1. HudsonsMom

HudsonsMom New Member

Hi.. ok so I am so new to this... our now 3 year old was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago. We just got home on a day pass from the hospital yesterday. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news that there was something wrong with my baby boy and that he needed to get to emergency ASAP or we could risk him going into a coma! I was terrified! How could this happen to me.. ? to my perfect angel? I was just in the hospital 3 months before after just having Hudson's baby sister and now we were back for something that would once again change our family dynamic forever. Hudson's Blood Sugar was at 35 when the hospital admitted us. He stayed critically high for 2 days.. so high that the glucose meters of the Pediatric ward couldn't give us a number.. all it would say was high. We endured 2 nights of our little boy screaming and crying for us in his sleep and one night the only place he would sleep was in our arms. Hudson celebrated his 3rd birthday while in the hospital in isolation because he developed a cough and the flu. Now we are home and I am just so terrified and overwhelmed. I have a sweet little 3 month old who needs mommy and a 3 year old who also needs me just as badly. Hudson's blood sugars last night when we tested him at 3am was 3.9.. how in the world do you try to force a sleeping cranky 3 year old to eat all this snack food to bring his blood sugar up? and than throughout the day today he wouldnt eat all the carbs he was supposed to which than made his blood sugar readings anywhere from 5.9 to 5.0... I was a little scared to put him down for a nap since the reading was 4.9.. I am so new at this and the terror and pain and fear is still so new in me.. does any one have any advice on how to feed a reluctant toddler so that its not all the same thing over and over???

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

(((HUGS)))

I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. This is a great forum and you will get great advice, stories, encouragement and cyber hugs. It's only been a year for us and I remember those feelings well. My guy was 8 years when we found so I don't have any advice about eating. I know someone with better advice will chime in soon.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The first weeks are really so hard.

What insulin regime is he on? If you're having to "feed" the insulin, then he may be getting too much.

When treating lows at night we always go for liquid carbs, far easier for them to drink half asleep than to eat.

It gets easier.:cwds:

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm so sorry. To have a 3 month old and then this dx with your son is so difficult. Until more toddler moms/dads can chime in...I'll come up with some ideas.
    -Juice...will he drink a bit when low?
    -Frosting...some kids will eat the whole jar with a spoon it's so yummy
    -little meranges---almost pure sugar
    -raisins or other sweet dried fruit
    -grapes
    -cherries
    -gatorade

You are going through so much right now and it will be bumpy for a while, but it will get better and you are not alone! Don't be afraid to call your doctor's office---no worry is too little to call about when you are so new to this.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

So sorry you are here but glad you found us! There are lots of other toddler moms on our board so hopefully they will be able to help you out. Can you start building up a good support system with family and friends? Maybe someone can come in and watch your baby while you work with your 3 year old. There is a big learning curve to this disease, but you can do it! A lot of toddler moms dose their insulin after their child eats, so you might want to check with your doctor, it depends on what kind of program they have you on.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi there, I take it that you're outside the US, since the BG readings you give are in mmol/l. A lot of people here are from the US, so if you see numbers a lot higher than you would expect, they are probably in mg/dl. To convert from mg/dl to mmol/l, you divide by 18, so a 5mmol/l would be 90mg/dl.

I was diagnosed as a teenager so I'll leave it to the experts to give you advice about D management in young children, but I just wanted to say welcome, although I'm sorry you have to be here. It really helped me when I was diagnosed to buy the book "Type 1 Diabetes" by Ragnar Hanas. It's really thick, textbook style, and it's really perfect for dipping into whenever you have a question.

What insulin regimen is Hudson on? When I was first diagnosed I was on Mixtard 30, which didn't work for me at all because of the fixed number of carbohydrates and the times I had to eat at, but once I switched to lantus and novorapid there was a lot more flexibility in when and what I could eat. I can't imagine a fixed carb regimen ever working for a small child, so hopefully they will help you to adapt his insulin to his food intake, so he is able to eat a little more normally soon. In the longer term, an insulin pump might be something that you want to look into. It really has been brilliant for me in terms of allowing me to have a completely flexible routine and more precisely match my insulin to my food, variable exercise, etc.

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I'm sorry that you needed to find us, but you will find a wealth of support and information here. Many have or had toddlers diagnosed and have BTDT. The first couple of weeks are scary and difficult, but it does get easier.

8. Trev

Trev Approved members

It isn't fair.

Hello, we parent two type one children with type 1 D. Our younger one was Dx at 18 months, scary indeed, and we haven't slept as sound since. Our older one at 11 years. Hang in there, it does become more managable.
    I talk about our kids candidly on my blow, feel free to email any time.
    Trev- Type 1 since 85 on the pump
    Father of 2 type 1 girls 6 and 13
    and 3 NoN-D's
    Married to an awesome wife!
    Famous blogger at http://www.three2treat.com
    Cheers!

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh you poor dear:( That is just so much on your shoulders all at once isnt it? Im glad you found us, there is usually someone around if you need help or just to know that youre not alone in this. Everything is so scary at first when you dont know whats going to happen next. Just take it slow and be patient with yourself. Do you have relatives that can help you right now with housework and some of the baby care? Dont be afraid to ask, if someone offers, say, now that you mention it! I could use some help:)

Now for low blood sugars in your son. If he seems to be having alot of lows give the endo a call as they will probably recommend reducing insulin, especially at night as its difficult to deal with lows at night. does your son like juice? You can get juice boxes in many flavors and have him suck on the straw if he's low. Some kids will lick the frosting out of a tube of cake mate, they have all different colors, even chocolate. come back here anytime you need a friendly ear, youll find many, many of them

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I am so sorry. My oldest son was diagnosed with type 1 when he was three years old.

11. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this, but I'm glad you're here. So many people have great advice (or a good shoulder to cry on :cwds:)

My son was diagnosed at 20 months old, and at first, we would try to wake him up at night to eat when he was low. Someone here suggested using juice boxes, and that works great. We can just stick the straw in his mouth, and he will drink it without waking up. Makes him much less cranky then next day too :D

When we first met with the CDE right after diagnosis, the first thing she told us was to have him keep eating healthy, and not try to change his diet too much. She said that we'd have enough food battles with a 2 year old, without trying to make him eat specific amounts at specific times. We were never on NPH, just on Lantus and Novolog.

Good luck, and welcome to CWD

12. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Welcome to CWD though I'm sorry you had to join us! We've been at this for a little over a year. It does get easier. When we were in the hospital at diagnosis, we met with the CDE and nutritionist to come up with a meal plan based on how many carbs we thought he ate per meal. However, when we got home, we realized that we were way off on his carb consumption so we had to go back to his diabetes team to adjust his insulin regimen. Our CDE also told us to keep juice boxes on hand. My ds will drink it through a straw in his sleep.

13. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

my son was also dx'd at 3. His d-versary is coming up in a few weeks - 2 years with it. I found the first months very overwhelming and a big adjustment but it will get more "normal" in time.

14. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

HI there...

Sorry you had to find us here.. and sorry to hear about your little guy!!! My son was diagnosed just over 3 months ago (he is 4.5) and I remember our d-date like it was yesturday.

I am not going to lie to you... the first few weeks are hell!!! If he is going low and goes low all the time.. don't be afraid to call your endo (if you don't have one yet, get one now) and keep calling for insulin adjustments. You aren't alone and I hope you have lots of help around you with your baby.

We are still learning here and have found that to keep him from going low while sleeping a snack always helps:

yougurt with cornstarch stirred in (cornstarch helps keep sugars up)
    glass of milk with cornstarch
    pudding with cornstarch

in the middle of the night when he is low, we give him

juice (room temperature, if it is cold he won't drink much)
    lifesavers (yup, there goes his teeth)
    glucose tabs.

We always aim for higher than low... especially when they are so little and don't recognize when they are low.

It is so unfair, I am so sorry for you. It will get easier to manage, I promise. But it is always going to be something else for you to manage. SO ... keep comming to this site with all your questions. Everyone here is going through the same things and I have found it so helpful.

Good luck ... you can do this... I promise you... you can do this!

15. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

(Hugs) and welcome.

That being said I'm sorry you're here :( there are some wonderful people here..whether you need advice or just a listening ear.

Everybody pretty. Much said it, juice works good. My daughter was dx'd at 3 1/2 and we usedjuice or even pop. Also we find the glucogel works great too. Tubes full of 15carbs of gel. I hope you find some comfort. It will get easier. When my youngest was born(10 weeks now) we were just starting on the pump, so I totally understand your feelings of being overwhelmed. (Hugs) again :)

16. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I am sorry - you are not alone at all. Please feel free to contact me at any time. It is a difficult time.
    Take care and know again that you're not alone :)

17. Faith

Faith Approved members

Hello there,

I'm so sorry that your son has diabetes.

My son is 2 and a half and was diagnosed in November. We too have the problems feeding a low blood sugar. My toddler has often just refused to eat and fallen straight back to sleep. We have tried all sorts of things and have a cupboard overflowing with biscuits and cereal bars so that he doesn't get bored with just the one.

We will wake him up, take him into bed with us, with the lamp on and I have a pile of his books next to the bed. I'll start reading one and eventually he takes interest and starts eating the biscuit or cereal bar. Sometimes it can take 45 minutes. I give him loads of praise for eating when he is tired and loads of kisses and cuddles because he just doesn't understand why I am making him eat in the middle of the night.

For me a lot of the coping with these nightimes is about acceptance. Acceptance that I can't avoid these situations and acceptance that this is how it has to be dealt with. We have just had two of these nights in a row, but my toddler is poorly as well. At Christmas it was nearly every night.

Everybody says it gets easier. Try not to expect too much though because I have now realised that the easier I was expecting isn't the easier I'm going to get.

Read all you can on here because these parents are going through the same things as you and understand how hard it can be. Other people haven't got a clue and we can't expect them to - I never had a clue til it happened to my son.

I wish you all the very best.

18. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis but please know you are in good company here. My daughter was diagnosed at 10-months old almost two years ago. It's very scary in the beginning but it does get easier, I promise.

For night time lows, definitely try juice or cake icing (white so he doesn't get colour all over his face!). They will usually lap either of those up without even waking. So much easier then getting them to eat and they both will also get sugar up quickly.

Take good care and visit often.

19. StageMom

StageMom Approved members

I am so sorry to hear of all these trials hitting you at once. We are just three months into this ourselves so it's still so very new. Try to get some help as you adjust to having a newborn and a new T1. Is there anyone that might be able to help you with the baby? Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone has limits, and I know I reach mine every once in a while. This is a good place to ask for advice and read posts to learn from others who have been at this awhile. My son is nine so he is able to tell me when he feels low, and we haven't had too much trouble at night yet. We just recently changed endos and it seems like our insulin dosage is changing every week right now. Still trying to find the right dose to reduce the lows. Hope you can find it, too. Hang in there. It's better at three months for us than it was at one or two weeks. It will get better.