- advertisement -

My baby boy just got Dx'd

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

It's been a long while since I have posted anything here. I read post but things have just been what they have been.
    Billy will be 8 next month but he is my baby.
    I have had my other three in the Trial Net program since John was Dx'd.
    Billy has always carried 3 of the antibodies. Today I got the call from his pedi that the second Fasting Glucose was even higher than the first one done two weeks ago. 7.5 to 7.9.

We always knew that there would be a greater chance of Billy developing D. I just didn't want to think about it.

I know I can do this and how to, for the most part, but I am so emotional and upset right now.

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

So sorry to hear this - I cant imagine! Know we are all hear for you!

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'm sorry to hear that your youngest has been diagnosed.

Our second diagnosis was much harder on me, emotionally. I think it's because I knew what life was diabetes was like...with my first, we had no idea and just figured it out as we went and adjusted with it. With DS, though, it was this immediate sense of being overwhelmed and not ready. We had him in TrialNet and he had no antibodies (didn't at diagnosis, either) so it was just such a shock. It was such a different situation and it was rough. I think there was a sense of "Seriously?!?!" about it, too. Having two just seemed so unfair, if that makes any sense. I really went through a resentment stage that I hadn't had to deal with in DD's case. Give yourself time to adjust. Remember that it may be old for the family but it's still really new for your son and be ready for the emotions he is feeling, too. It's just so draining, emotionally. I have no advice but wanted to tell you that I think I know how you feel and let you know that you aren't alone.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Bobbi, I'm so sorry to hear your news. :(

Hope you and the boys are getting the support you need.

5. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Thank You.

It just breaks my heart for him to come to me and ask to check his "sugar".

The name "sugar" kind of stuck when John got Dx'd. It was easier for him to say at 4 years old because of his speech impairment.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I'm so sorry Bobbi. That news must have been so hard to hear.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Damn Bobbi, I'm so sorry. I remember how much you struggled early on, and I hope things will be much better this time, but I hate that there is a "this time" for you.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Oh geez, Bobbi. I'm so sorry.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Oh No Bobbie? How is everything else? The asthma with your kids and the breast cancer? I hope he handles it well.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Bobbi,
    So sorry to hear this has happened again. I hope that all the other stuff going in your life has gotten a little better.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear this, Bobbi. :(

12. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I am still in remission from the cancer. Made it past 5 years now. I had a scare that it was going to come back but I actually cracked a rib. Painful most of the time. I will take the pain over cancer.

John's asthma is still pretty well under control. He is still only on an as needed for the nebulizer and the inhaler is still only for physical activity. Unless he gets a cold then he needs both. His allergies are getting a little worse but they are seasonal and they don't get to bad except for the sneezing.

I am still fighting with the school, The OCR did rule on our side but they still want to use things against us. Now they are trying to use the amount of instruction time he misses. If they would let him manage throughout the school then he wouldn't miss so much time. They try to say he misses to many school days, still don't want to manage his D, But he is an A/B honorol student even with the amount of days he misses.
    Then they turn around and say that they want to put him in advance classes.

I am going to have another battle with Billy now. They are going to just love me when I get done. Billy can't do much of anything and he is scared to poke his own finger right now because he says it hurts when he does it but doesn't hurt when mommy does it.

I have already contacted John's lawyer about Billy and they are going to help me with him also. John has a 504 meeting on the 15th and we are trying to get them to sign it before then. We are hopeful that they will let John self manage where and when needed with out much supervision at all unless he needs it or ask for it. So far they agree but it isn't signed yet.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Billy has time to learn though. It is still brand new to him, the poor little guy.

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Bobbi, saw this on FB. I'm so sorry to hear about the 2nd diagnosis in your family.:(

15. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I'm sorry.

My second dd was dx'd this past December and it's definitely been an adjustment.

It just plain sucks.

16. momMD

momMD Approved members

I am sorry to hear about this. My other two kids just enrolled in TrialNet and i am anxious/nervous to see results. I am a "need to know" kind of mom so I wanted to know if they carried antibodies. I swear, I know the familial recurrence risk isn't that high but when it happens to you it is devastating. We were told 8% risk of a child with type 1 based on my husband. So far 1/3 of my kids, we will see in a few weeks if the others have antibodies at this time.
    Best wishes for you and your family.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I am very, very sorry to hear this, Bobbi. :( Please take care.