- advertisement -

my aunt is sending me emails......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3js, Jun 20, 2008.

1. 3js

3js Approved members

about how vitamin c or d can reverse type1 diabetes. She knows there is a difference between the 2- just keeps sending me crap about how it is linked, or that she heard it on the news again. I am starting to feel almost like she is picking a fight. I know that sounds melodramatic:D

But after the 2nd or 3rd email, I explained how much cost/illness/hospital time (endo visits,ketones ect) and that those vitamin claims were not true.

She sends LOTS of other stupid emails that are not d-related. So it is nothing personal. This is my first experience with someone trying to shove stuff down my throat- other than the remarks that my son`s size (he`s a big tall kid) has something to do with dx.

I am used to hearing this about his asthma, but it`s easy to ignore because it is just so stupid. Who is going to try vitamins for a kid who can`t breathe, lmao ????:rolleyes:

I kind of feel like she thinks I`m blowing his diabetes out of proportion:eek: with the shots/pump.

2. jendean

jendean Approved members

I know people mean well. I just wish that they would consider that we have already looked at all the options.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

If this was a new thing and just about the diabetes, it might be something you could fix by talking to her but it sounds like she's always sending/forwarding strange emails and that may not be easy to stop.

I suggest you just ignore her emails. Check to make sure it's not something important/interesting and directly from her (rather than a forward) and then delete w/o reading it all.

Or if it's just too much then reply to each one and say, 'auntie, please stop sending these forwards, I've seen them all already.' Say the same thing each time.

4. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Everytime she sends you an email about useless D care, send her one on how to lose weight, or if she is on the thin side on how to gain it.

5. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

Oh man.... You gotta love the people who know the miracle cure that even the best doctors in the world don't know about yet! :)

I have an uncle that does the same thing... I know they mean well, but come on! Do they think we like giving our kids shots and checking bgs 12 times a day, or that we like our kids to be sick?! Ugh... I guess they're just not thinking through before they say/send this stuff...

P.S. I like Liz's idea :):) hehe

6. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I feel that way too. I have a friend who is T2 and she has said several times just to watch his diet. Since I snapped at her shes backed off and I think done some research. I dont suggest you do that but it worked for me. Sorry but I have little patience. :eek:

7. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

I haven't dealt with people shoving information down my throat yet but I know it's bound to happen sooner or later. I have an aunt that is a RN, doesn't work for a doctor but an insurance company. Thinks she knows it all. She lives out of state and hopefully I won't see her until Christmas.

I had someone make the comment this week, "I'm sure your son will be better soon." I had enough of the conversation and said, "No, he won't. Without insulin for the rest of his life he will die. See ya." and walked away.

8. Madisonsmom

Madisonsmom Approved members

We have a well meaning friend as well. But we always get the if you give your sick daughter this or that she will get better. It drives me crazy when people we have not seen since her DX say is that the "sick" one.

I just say no that Madison and she has Diabetes she is not "sick"

I have even had family tell me I just want her on shots so people feel sorry for me and that is why I wont use their "CURES" because let me tell ya we hear about them all the time.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh I love these well meaning people. I would love to give them Diabetes for a week so they would stop giving advice. I know they mean well, but it can get so frustrating. Oh and the "cures" The things people have told me I should do belong in a museum of crazy cures. None of them would work anyway.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Well, that is so annoying.
    Does she title her e-mails, so you know what they're about? If so, delete them without reading. It keeps her happy in sending them, and it keeps you happy in not reading them. If she asks have you gotten my e-mails, answer yes, which is true ;). If she asks what do you think, say 'Haven't read them'. I think she'll eventually get the point.
    If she gets hurt, well, does she take into consideration that not acknowledging you've done your research and looked at your options (LOL) might just hurt you a bit too?
    Good luck!!

11. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Set her emails up to go immediately to a junk folder created especially for her stuff. You'll never have to look at it, but it's not deleted in the off-chance she actually sends you something worth reading.

12. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

My mom and my sister do that too. My mom sends me emails, and hands me articles and books all the time. I told her once that she didn't need to do that, and she said, "I figured you could look at it, if you didn't think it was anything, just throw it out. But if there was something new, or different, or effective, then you could do some more research." After that explanation, I just take the stuff, review and recycle. My sis is more like, "Milk is evil, milk is bad, you're whole family should stop drinking milk...milk....milk....milk." I'm like OMG, shut up. But I talk to her so few and far between, I just bite my tongue and congratulate her on her success of a milk free life.

Could you just tell your aunt he's taking a multivitamin and he still has diabetes (what a shocker!)

Good luck,
    Charmed

13. linda

linda Approved members

Unfortunatly we are more educated because we need to be. Some people will never understand the difference in T1 & T2....As hard as it is, if they will not educate themselves and become part of your support group, cut ties, or ignore them. or tell them never to discuss it unless they read your library!!!!!