- advertisement -

My 8 yr old wants to sleep over her friends house!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

I agree, no sleepover

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Has she been running low lately? What if you tested her at bedtime them gave her a snack so that she would run on the high side for one night? Would you have let her do it if she didn't have D?

When Seth was younger, I backed off a unit of Lantus and gave him a snack. It was really hard though so I totally get your hesitation :(

3. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

We had one sleep over a year after dx, and she was 13 at the time, very capable of checking and treating. she was to do a check at 12 and 2 am, and text me w numbers. We did over treat, so she was a bit higher in the morning.

I still have trouble letting her sleep over, always a challenge to let em go.

whatever you decide, it is okay, because of the age and many checks, not knowing the parents, communication barrier w different languages, those all would be red flags for me too....not to mention peanut allergy.

4. Mom of 3 BOYS

Mom of 3 BOYS Approved members

don't feel bad.. i wouldn't let her either. i think you are doing a good compromise by letting her go until 10 or so... you have to trust your instincts.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I don't think sleepovers are a good idea for any child, D or not. I don't plan on letting my children sleep over for parties, except perhaps if it was family (but we have none close by). Luckily, ours are still young enough that they've never been invited, so we haven't had to deal directly with this so far.

If it's a "family rule" that they don't sleep over at friend's houses, that pretty much takes care of it.

Obviously you aren't wanting to let her sleep over. She could still go to the party; just have her call you to pick her up after the movie or pick her up at a specified time, or whatever. If it breaks her heart (or yours) to not sleep over, you could make some other kind of deal with her, like she can have the friend whose b-day it is sleep over at your house another time, or you'll take her out for something special, etc.

Good luck.

6. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I disagree with that statement, I am not a native English speaker, but that does not prevent me from understanding diabetes or allergy issues.

Having said that I would not let my dd have a sleep over where I don't know the parents really well. And if I would expect the host parents to take care of my dd's diabetes, they would need to comprehend what they have to do. However I would NOT tell her that it is because of her diabetes, that could cause too much resentment.

7. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Dear Denise

It must be really scary leaving DD. But at some point you are going to have to. Of course you want her to be safe, and that is the most important thing. But having type 1 diabetes makes children feel different, and making her miss out on the sleepover may add to that feeling, and undermine DD's confidence to know that living with Type 1 is ok. DD will want to be a normal child. She won't feel that its right to be punished because of her diabetes.

You are her mum and so only you know the full situation and can make the decision. Just be careful that the decision you come to is about DD, and not your anxiety.

Best wishes,

Rachel