advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 65'th Anniversary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard157, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Today (Sept 15) is the 65'th anniversary of my type 1 diagnosis. I was diagnosed in 1945, just 5 days after my 6'th birthday. To have no serious diabetes related complications after 65 years of type 1 seems rather amazing. I don't know why I am so lucky, my doctor's have no explanation. The most popular theory seems to be "good genes". That does make good sense, but I don't think it has been proved by research.

The Joslin Medalist Study has examined more than 600 long term type 1 diabetics. All the participants have been type 1 for at least 50 years, and they do not have any serious complications. The study is scheduled to conclude in April, 2011. Maybe the factor(s) that explain our having long, healthy lives will be revealed in Dr King's final report at that time.

Richard :)

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Way to go Richard! :cwds: Very interesting study to come out in 2011. Enjoyed reading your book. Going to get my 13 year old to read it.

3. VictoriasDad

VictoriasDad Approved members

Thanks for posting Richard.

I for one am very happy for you and you give me great hope my 11 year old has those good genes.

4. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Congrats Richard!!

I think one reason behind your good health is your wonderful attitude ... you always sounds optomist with a healthy dose of humor thrown in! You give us all hope for our children. :)

Good wishes for many more complication-free years to come!

Lisa

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Wow!!!
    how do you celebrate 65 years? with this dreadful disease.

we just passed our 5th.

congrats

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Congratulations Richard!:) You have inspired me and many others here with your posts and your book. Seeing life with type 1 diabetes through your eyes has given me a glimpse into my sons future and Im not so fearful anymore. I wish you many more years of healthy and happy living

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thank you being an inspiration, Richard. :)

Are you doing something special? Did you ever "mark the day" or just let it go?

8. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

That's fantastic, Richard!! Btw your book was fabulous, too. Double congrats!! :)

BTW... My MIL's ex-husband also has had T1 diabetes for probably 50+ years (he must be in his 80s now). After she read your book, she wanted to know if there is a list of all the "medalists" somewhere posted? She has lost complete contact with her ex-Husband but he has been a longtime patient at Joslin...?

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, in Richards's book it mentions all the people that have lived a long time with Type 1 and that it was in an old Forecast magazine. I wish we had a link to that story

10. BernFarr

BernFarr Approved members

Richard, many congratulations on reaching your 65th safe and sound, you are richly blessed.

I've stumbled across many of the DOC folks who were diagnosed in September.

My D-Date is September 10, 1972. Kerri Morrone Sparling is September 11, 1986, Jeff Mather is September 8, 1999. I'm sure there are many others.

It makes me wonder whether there's more diagnoses at certain times of the year.

11. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Thanks!

Thanks so much, my friends. :cwds:

No, I don't mark the anniversary dates, it is so routine after having had so many. No celebration or hoopla. Just a feeling of gratefulness to still be here and be healthy after all this time. I give thanks by trying to offer inspiration and hope to my fellow diabetics, especially the children and their parents. I have referred hundreds of parents to this wonderful site through the years. ;)

I will post a link to the article about the long term diabetics.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Congratulations, Richard! :)