- advertisement -

My 4 year old princess was DX on 6/20/2011...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Daddy RRT, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

Sorry you have to be here, but yes you will find support and advice that is invaluable.

We were kind of "eased" into it, we just happened to catch Hudson's blood sugar one day, a random test because I had a meter here. We watched it for a month and "controlled" via diet, and thought he was strictly Type 2 based on his weight (even though we had been working on him losing some for 4 months at that point). Took him to the dr. the day after Thanksgiving, and he had a lab draw & glucose test on 12/3. It has been a ride since then.

You will find your way through the emotions, eventually, but don't expect it to be fast. I find myself going through the range almost daily it seems.

Hang in there.

2. HelenaHandBasket

HelenaHandBasket Approved members

Hi there. My 8 yr old son was dxd the same day. I can relate to your feelings. I was in a tailspin for the first 4 days after dx. It is SUCH a game changer. Even going to the Peds to get the first diagnosis that day was overwhelming. I left that morning with a healthy little boy and came home with a child who would be dependent on insulin injections for he rest of his life.

I'm a nurse and still managed to feel incompetent in the shadow of T1. Today I am feeling more confident in my ability to care for and be an advocate for him. I'm sure it will get better with every passing day.

I'm sorry that you need to be here but it has been a great resource and comfort to me already!

Welcome!

3. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Thank You.......Thank You.
    For the encouragement, several of you have articulated exactly how I feel. It really helps to know that people can relate to your grief. It does seem to be getting better day by day. I even watched some TV alone with Mama tonight! We have always had a very consistent routine with the kids.......it's comforting to get back into one. I find we're testing about 10 times a day. I created a diary page with hourly entry spaces for the whole day. It'll be easier to trend the results that way. It helps to feel like I'm being productive for her....speaking of which, she is just unbelievably brave. Could not care less about the finger sticks, I hope that keeps up.

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

You're doing a great job already, Dad :). We are three and a half years into this...my daughter was dx'd at 9. Some days I still have to sit and grieve. It's not nearly as often as it used to be, and it doesn't last as long, but there are just some things that affect me when I least expect it. Finding this group was a lifesaver for me. People here just GET it...explanations not required.

5. HM5388

HM5388 Approved members

My princess turned 13 that day, Dx 7/1/09 (she had a pool party with all of her friends). I remember being in your shoes like it was yesterday - hoping/insisting things would be normal again. As others have said - rest assured, things will settle into a 'new' normal.

Advice - shed the guilt & learn about T1. I find the more I know, the less I fear (though there remains a lot to learn and fear is never far). The books Christopher recommended are good (Gary Scheiner belongs in the T1 HOF). The tone of your post and the fact that you joined this forum suggest you will be a great T1 Dad. Managing a child with T1 is not easy but it's not the hardest thing I do as a parent either. Don't forget your non T1 children either (easy to do in the short-run).

Almost 2 years in, Sarah does everything she did before diagnoses, and more. 'A' student, terrific ice-hockey player, softball catcher, a zillion friends, messy room, obsessed with facebook, etc.

Welcome to our club. None of us want to be here but we're glad for those who are.

6. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

It really helped us to learn that advances in better management are always being made. The endo even got right in DS's little mug and said, "It is one tiny part of your body that isn't working and someday, in your lifetime, someone will figure it out. If you do all we ask then you will stay otherwise healthy and you will be able to turn around and walk away from diabetes."

You are now a member of a club you never wanted to join but it is the club with the some really nice people who care and will help in any way they can.
    It does get much better.

7. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Hugs. I know we've all been there. It does get easier, that I promise. I remember posting very similar after Erin's dx and how overwhelming it all was. Now that we're facing new challenges, I keep telling myself this too will pass. There's a lot of great support here, even if just for a shoulder to cry on.

8. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Love the last line of your sig, I should quote it since if you change it no one will know what I'm talking about, but you do so I won't.

It's completely unfair, isn't it. I think pretty much everyone here can tell of their experiences on how they missed the warning signs. I know we did. You can dig back in the archives and find my intro post if you want to see how we justified every single symptom we saw as something easily explainable, rationalized, no big deal.

Your little girl sounds like quite the trooper. If I'm guess right, probably starting to handle things better than you. Give her a big hug.

And sounds like you're doing a great job, testing frequently to make sure she doesn't get too far outside where you want her. You'll learn more and more each day and get better and better at all this.

As far as big picture, there's a lot there. On the long-term front, some new encouraging studies just came out that looked at kids diagnosed in the 80's early 90's. The outlook is that their life expectancy compared to those without Type 1 D is only slightly shorter. Why is a slightly shorter life expectancy good news? Because previous studies looking at people diagnosed further back showed a life expectancy of up to 15 years shorter. And the technology gets better and better every day. It wouldn't surprise me if a future study that looked at kids diagnosed today have almost identical outlook on a long healthy life as anyone else.

So get the day-to-day stuff worked out as you are doing. Figure out how to make your own adjustments, how to spot trends, how to keep her healthy. Teach her how to accept who she is, how to manage her health as she grows up and matures, how to do the little things day-to-day, and a lot of the big picture will take care of itself.

9. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Sorry you have to be here but this is a wonderful and welcoming place where we all have gone through the same emotions. It has been 4 months since Dx for us. It isn't nearly as overwhelming on a day to day basis but we still have days that throw us for a loop and make us feel like we're on day one again. We do have days where D is almost a non issue other than a few finger pricks and shots. Other days, I feel like we have no idea what we are doing. It can be an emotional roller coaster. It really does get easier to deal with in all aspects and I agree with another poster here that reading blogs of T1D who are adults now makes me feel infinitely better about my daughter's own future. sixuntilme.com is a favorite.

Hang in there, you'll get a handle on this soon.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hey, sorry you have to be here. It is horribly overwhelming, especially the first month or so. My son was dx on 12/26/09 at 13 yrs old. I could not even take care of my son, all I could do was sob, and sob, and sob. thankfully, my husband took on all his care and I would end up at my parents home sobbing. I went thru a two or three week period of grieving. I absorbed myself in books, I totally tried to educate myself and those around me. Finally, after about 3 weeks, I snapped out of my grief enough to help take care of my son. Now, 1 1/2 years later, we figure out carb ratio changes, lantus changes, etc. all on our own without having to call our Endo. This site has been a Godsend to me, so much wonderful advice. You will meet people here from around the Globe who are in the same boat as you are...

You hang in there, your princess will be ok, honestly she will. and SO will YOU! All we can do is do the best we can to help make our children's life a healthy one. My best advice to you is for you to EDUCATE yourself, read read read all you can about T1D.

Come back here often and ask questions, vent, and sooner or later, you WILL find that YOU are lending your advice/two cents to others and YOU will be helping other newbies...

Good luck...

Kathy

11. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. I want you to know they help tremendously. I can say that I've turned the corner emotionally, and HunnyBunny looks and feels a lot better........seeing that helps a lot. Yesterday was a good day, no highs or lows, today was pretty good as well. Reading some of the recommended blogs also bring a sense of incentive and optimism.

Thank you all again!

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son adjusted MUCH quicker than I did!!;) These kids are amazing! Mine does go through quick spurts of "I hate diabetes" when he may complain more than usual or even cry. Don't be shocked when these occur...for my son, they come and go as quickly as summer showers...but not as often!:) It will be normal for her...and you..to have periods--even after you've adjusted--when you're just tired of it all. Rolling with the punches is a skill that is important with D and D emotions.

Getting back to a regular routine is really important for your family's well-being at this time...your instincts are spot on here. Keep as much "normal" as you can as you integrate this into your life.

Congratulations on another day of learning and adjusting under your belt!!:cwds: This time next year, you'll be amazed at how far you've come and how well you've fit this into your life.

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If I had to describe D in two words, it would be these.

Although there's nothing you can do to change the diagnosis, you can look forward to your daughter being stronger, more mature, and more appreciative of life than other kids. And in case you didn't see the recent studies, life expectancy of kids with T1 who are diagnosed and treated with today's insulins and technologies is the same as people without T1. You have to get used to a new routine, but the outlook for her is as good as anyone.