- advertisement -

My 3 yr old has type 1...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sammieandkrismom, Jan 13, 2010.

1. sammieandkrismom

sammieandkrismom New Member

My husband and I basically diagnosed it (her ped pretty much told me she didn't know how we caught it, they all thought she just had a virus), we caught it early thank god - but it still stinks. We have a 6 mo old too and its been hard balancing both. Luckily I was home on maternity leave still so I have time to process it all and care for her and learn w/ her. I have the day to day stuff down right now (she was in the hospital last Tues-Thurs and home since.) but she is already having lows, mostly at night....we check her 4 hrs post dinner and then again at 2 am...and for the third day, she was just low. She has had 6 snacks to raise her bg level in the past two days. I have been in contact with her drs and they keep lowering her insulin, but it is leaving me restless and worried that she won't wake up one day...god forbid, but thats where I am right now...any advice or info on those whose children were diagnosed early on at a young age would be great...heck, I will take anything right now. Thanks for reading, my mind is still spinning and so I tend to ramble on still....

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Welcome!!
    When my son was dx'd we also caught it very early. So early in fact that he was able to go off of insulin alltogether after a very short time. It was as if his body said thanks for the help, I can now do this myself.

Keep in close contact with your endo and hang around here,

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Report the lows to your endo for him/her to adjust the long acting insulin.

Many on daily shots have their child eat a hearty snack before bed. My son at ice cream every night.

This is quite common -- and almost expected -- for your child to need a dramtically different amount of insulin at home than in the hospital.

4. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

My daughter was dx at 2. A year and a half later I still need to check her at least once a night. But this is now the new normal. Meaning, the stress level does drop, it becomes just another thing you do as a parent. (Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't still get sad about it sometimes:mad:)
    The first few months, getting adjusted, are the hardest. I am also finding out that, with toddlers especially, it is a lot of up and down. Just when I think I've got her rates figured out, something changes again. My NP says this is pretty much how it goes with the little ones. This site has been a great help and support, though!:)

5. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

You have found a great place for support and information! You will learn so much from the folks on this sight!! Good luck, it will get easier and you will establish your new "normal" way of life! The insulin doses will get worked out, but keep in mind, they are constantly changing as your child grows and that is completely normal. There will come a time, when you'll be making the changes all on your own, but never hesitate to run them by your endo first if that is more comfortable. Sorry you had to join us here, but glad you found us so quickly, this is one place that everyone can relate and knows what your talking about! Come and ask questions or to vent frustrations! Ann

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi and welcome to the family:cwds: I know you're very frightened right now. I wish there was something I could say to take that fear away from you. I promise you you wont always feel this way. There will come a day very soon that you will not wake up feeling sick with fear about diabetes but know that you have control over it not the other way around. It takes time to learn all there is to learn, heck Im still learning 5 1/2 years after my sons diagnosis

Steven was diagnosed when he was 3 years and 4 months. I felt that my world had been turned upside down. I was afraid and very angry that MY son had to get diabetes and that we had to learn to live a different way. Steven now is a very busy, interesting and interested boy of almost 9. He loves to laugh and run be silly, catch frogs, play in the mud, look at dead bugs, all the things that little boys love. You will all learn to fit diabetes into your busy, fun, happy lives. Come back here anytime to ask questions or find support from people who know what youre going through

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome! My middle was 4 at dx, and I was 8 months pregnant, so I totally get the issues of a new dx and a baby (my sweet Zoe was born one month to the day after Morgan was dx'd). We started having lows about day 3 with Morgan. I found that protein with a carb helped some when we were on shots. (PB crackers, milk, cheese toast, etc). Zoe was much older (8) when dx'd, and knew so much from having a sister with D all her life, that the swings didn't seem as big. but, she also was on a pump within 5 weeks!

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Hi,

Sorry to hear your daughter is type 1. My son's insulin is constantly being changed by our endo to get his BG in his ideal range. It's almost impossible and just when you think you have a good reading or two, you go high or low and you return to pulling your hair out!!!

We keep our endo informed by emailing our log once a week and she emails us back about what changes need to be made. I'm sure you will find the right dosage in time.

Ask questions in this forum too. You have a hundred "endos" here, all providing advice.

And keep your Glucogon kit handy...just in case.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

10. SarahsMum

SarahsMum Approved members

Hi

I am Karina and my daughter was born with Diabetes. I just wanted to welcome you from another mum with a young child with Type 1.

She is probably going through her "honeymoon" period where she is requiring less insulin for a period of time. Keep in close contact with your endo team so that they can keep adjusting the insulin until you get the right dosage.

My daughter is only just 12 months old but one thing I have learnt is just when a pattern emerges and you get the insulin dose right, something changes and you are making changes all over again. Just remember that your and your daughter and beating diabetes one day at a time:)

Hand in there and remember to come here anytime, there is so much helpful advice and support here to get you through the day