- advertisement -

My 23 month old son has type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rjohnson, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Rjohnson

Rjohnson New Member

It all started 3 weeks ago I had no idea what was going. My son was thirsty all the time and when we would say no he would beg us until we gave it to him. He would pee out of diapers every night. We would change every two hrs. Over memorial weekend we went shopping he was not himself cried all weekend. On Memorial Day we meet my husbands parents at the park my son just sat there. My father in law grabbed a ball my son wanted nothing to do with it let me tell you that is really weird for my son he loves balls. That night on are 2hr drive home my son was quiet saying at all I crawled in back with him he looked sick big black circles under his eyes. The next day I made a doctors appiontment. We got in right away. I forgot to mention we kind of thought he had type 1. I don't think we really wanted to face reality. It's a scary thing. The doctor did a urine test we waited hours. She called and said he had ketones in his urine I jumped on the computer to look it up. Sure enough it said diabetes. The doctor called back and said he need to come early in the morning no food or water tell the morning. Anyone with a kid knows how hard that is. The next morning me and my husband go in for the blood test. Buy 11am we get a call telling us to head to Fargo North Dakota which it 2 1/2 hrs away. From then on it seemed like a blur.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm horrified that your Dr would have you withhold water from a 23 month old spilling ketones AND have you wait overnight to fully evaluate your son.:eek: I'm glad things didn't go south.

Welcome, btw. Sorry you've had to join us, but there are many experienced folks here if you have any questions.:cwds:

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sorry you had to join the club.

Count your blessings that nothing worse happened when the food and water was restricted. That is a potentially deadly recommendation to make for a child with untreated diabetes.

My son's pediatrician made an error at diagnosis -- not nearly as egregious as your son's doctor did - and I found one who understood diabetes.