- advertisement -

My 17 month Granddaughter

Discussion in 'Grandparents' started by Terri, May 8, 2008.

1. Terri

Terri New Member

Has just been diagnosed with Type 1 & I am so happy to find a forum to talk to other grandparents. This is by far one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with in my lifetime. I'm happy to know there's a place where I can express my feelings & share with others.

Thank you so much for offering this forum to us grandparents.

2. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

Hi! I'm so sorry you have to be here - but you are in good hands. The combined knowledge and experience on this forum is truly amazing.

Is your granddaughter's name Adelynn by any chance? We had a new poster in the Parents forum yesterday with a little girl named Adelynn

My granddaughter was diagnosed at 9 months. She also suffers from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. She is now almost 4, pumping and is doing great. See my web site address below. I write about grandparenting and Diabetes care. I am trying to get more grandparents involved in care.

Feel free to PM me at any time.

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

Terri -

For once I can tell somebody, "I know how you feel" and really mean it. My 18 month old grandson was just dx'd 10 days ago, and I has been a rough 10 days for all of us. We are very close to our children and to Zane, our first and only grandchild so far. The feelings of helplessness are sometimes overpowering..... and then we see how well he is adapting already. Time to check blood glucose... he come over and sits down, and gives us a finger. It's all I can do not to cry when I see how well is is handling this. I know it will be all he ever knows, so this "change" isn't really a change at all to him. It's just the way things are.

We're so fortunate, and so thankful, to have lots of family support, including my SIL who has lived as a T1 for 45 years now. I'm looking forward to being a full part of his care, and giving my daughter and SIL the support and love they need.

I'm also looking forward to working and sharing with the other members of this community. My thoughts and prayers are with each and every member of this group.

4. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

Terri,
    I KNOW this is a traumatic time for you. You will find friendship, knowledge, love and support here. My granddaughter was diagnosed at about the same age. I already had a daughter with type 1 - but, to watch our little granddaughter go thru the same thing was absolutely heart-wrenching. She is 3 now and handles it like a pro. . . she will never know life without finger sticks and pump sites - it is all 'normal' for her. I pray that y'all will not feel alone and that you will find the support you need here -