- advertisement -

My 11 yr.old daughter, newly diagnosed...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BCmom, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

with type 1 on March 17th.

I am on a steep learning curve and having difficulty assimilating all the information.... and difficulty trying to merge all her new needs with her life...

I am in need of a lot of support from those who understand. I am so happy you are here.

Rose

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Rose, We are here! Many, many of us in fact. From all over the world. You are not alone in this, not by a long shot. I know your very scared right now. Take a deep breath, I promise your daughter is going to be just fine. Your whole family will adjust to the diabetes and you will fit it into your life. For now make sure you get enough rest and try to do something for yourself each day that you enjoy doing. How is your daughter doing so far with this? If she enjoys sports she will be able to still participate in everything she wants to do. Join us in the parents chat room theres usually someone to talk to in there, you can come in and vent, scream, cry, ask advice and sometimes we'll even make you laugh. And that just plain feels good. Take care of yourself Rose:)

3. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you Becky. I really needed to hear those words...

Emmalene is coping OK. She gets a bit anxious when the insulin time comes around but then we all do. She is doing her own testing all ready. She is a little scrap of a thing and then lost weight which she couldn't afford to prior to the diagnoses. She is very active.

Swimming, hiking (she is a scout), kayaking, playing violin and used to do competitive Rythmic Gymnastics which she recently stopped (thank God) because of major foot problems (collapsed arches, bunions, tight heel chords) which resulted in too much pain...

I am suffering from a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I keep waking up with pounding chest and unable to breath... I worry too much.

4. Denise

Denise Approved members

Welcome, I can understand how overwhelmed you feel. I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of diagnosis for my 9 year old daughter Molly. It does get easier, that I can promise. I still have my moments of overwhelming anxiety (like our pump start coming up in a few weeks)...but as you gain confidence, things start to click and you do start to relax some. I don't think you ever relax completely but it does become second nature to you (and your child). My 8 year old daughter went from terrified of needles to giving herself her own injections 2 weeks post dx. You didn't post where you are from...?

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi just me again Rose, I had panic attacks also after dxd and actually went to the hospital a couple times thinking I was having a heart attack. My doctor gave me a script for Xanax which helped alot and I saw a therapist. If it keeps up please see your doctor dont suffer in silence, ok?

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

First let me say I'm so sorry you had to join our "club", but you will be amazed at the support you get. There are very smart moms, dads and people with type 1 on here all day, every day. You will almost always get a speedy reply. There are no silly questions, and all of us have been there. Your daughter will be fine, and so will you. I had lots of anxiety after my second daughter was diagnosed. I couldn't eat, sleep or do much without crying. It was actually worse than when my first was diagnosed (I was 9 months pregnant, so I don't think I could process all of it!). I got a prescription for Ambien to help me sleep on the nights I wasn't getting up to check sugars. Sleep helped tremendously. I also had some slight panic attacks, and was consumed by sadness when this disease affected not only my middle daughter, but my baby as well. Now exercise, a pretty strict routine, and lots of tweaking, I have to say that most days are great days, and BOTH my daughters do everything they want to do and are experts in their own care. We have a few bad days and we deal with that. I so wish I had found this place when I was where you are....it would have been a God send....blessings to you...Sharon

8. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Rose,
    Your post caught my eye. My daughter Alli is going to be eleven on April 21st. If you need to talk I am here. If Emmalene needs a friend Alli would love to talk to her. There is a box on the upper right hand of any screen on cwd to send a private message. You can click on my user name if you need anything. Please don't hesitate we are all here for you. Hang in there, I swear to you it gets easier. Take it slow and absorb as much as you can. It is so overwhelming at first. What kind of insulin regime is your daughter on?
    (((((hugs))))) Rose!!!!!

9. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you for all your kind words.

It means so much to me that I am not alone in feeling like this, even with the anxiety/panic attacks. I think my husband is in a bit of denial and doesn't seem to understand the depth that this is affecting me... During the day I am all efficiency and getting "on with it" but in privacy I am suffering... and my husband doesn't want to hear it. I guess he is dealing wth it "his way"...

Thank-you for the book selections. I am going to see if I can get them...

I live in British Columbia (BC), Canada in Maple Ridge (close to Vancouver).

She is on two shots a day. A mix of Humulog and Humalin and I phone in everyday to the doctor for dosages based on what her sugars have been.

10. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Rose, anytime you need us, we're here. Come on over to the parents forum and post away.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

Rose,

Glad to see you here - I think we met on the Dis.:)

I've posted to you over there already but welcoming you here - please come on over to the Parents board and join in!

Of course having your child dx'd with type 1 is such a sad and overwhelming experience it is hard to draw good out of it - but the best thing is that you are part of our community now and there are a huge number of wonderful, caring, knowledgeable parents who know what you are going through and want to be there for you.:cwds:

12. candise

candise Approved members

Hi there,
    My daughter- Heaven (11) was diagnosed in Feb. I can say firsthand that things do get back to a new normal. I can totally understand being overwhelmed and scared about your daughters health. I can also understand about the husband thing- mine still drives me nuts at times over his handling of things. This is a great place to gain lots of info and support- just remember you are not alone!!! Don't get to caught up in everything there is to learn- just do what works today for you and your child.

13. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

Attitude is everything!

The fact that you recognize the need to learn is a good predictor of success.
    We have been learning for the past 8 years and just when we think we have all the answers, there is a growth spurt or hormonal influence or something else we didn't think of. The main thing is to keep trying to figure out what is going on and keeping good records to analyze.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi Rose and welcome!!! I think (sorry if I'm wrong) but we have met on the disney board??? Is this you?

I'm glad you came on over. Please do check out the parents area and post whatever questions you need. We've all been in your shoes. ALL OF US. :)

15. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Yes, we did meet on the Dis board thankyou for telling me about Children with Diabetes! I did have some info about this forum in my stacks of info. but there is only so much I can assimilate at one time!

Thank-you for your welcome to our new normal, I will need all the help I can get over the next few months.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Welcome, I'm in Cloverdale, close to Willowbrook, I can get you the email to our support newsletter, which has lists of support groups in the lower mainland
    Feel free to pm me

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  17. dawn1597

dawn1597 New Member

Hi
    My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed in october last year. We found out purely by chance just sugar in her water sample when we went ot the doctors, not unwell at all. It was not what we were expecting, thinking she only had a water infection! She was very upset we all were at first but it does get easier. She does everything herself, the only bad bit is that she doesn't get any signs or symptoms when her blood sugars are low or high and they have been very ,ow but she is just like normal. I sometimes ask myself if she really has it! She has adapted quite well but i am now experiencing that she is stealing her brothers chocolate such as selection boxes at Christmas and she goes looking for chocolate or buys it from the shop, only to have it taken off her when we find out. She never used to eat chocholate or sweets very oftern now she can't just eat it she seems to want wanst want it! I don't really know what to do about it. I always know when she's eaten something as her sugar levels are high. I've had to stop her having school dinners as she buys goodies for pudding. I've been pulling my hair out with this one. apart from this she is doing well. Any ideas how to get to stop doing this?
    Dawn

18. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Wanted to say hello from White Rock BC!!! Welcome, sorry you are here but glad you found us!

19. maha

maha Approved members

She is 11 - It is hard to stop it.
    When I was diagnosed at 5 years old - I learnt that sugars (candys, chocolate...) are forbidden so of course even if I not liked it before, I start to like...

Let her eat it and do the insulin to correct the glycemia, it works well.

20. krystalkat

krystalkat Approved members

Hey! I know I am kinda out of place, but I am 11 and would love you talk to your daughter! Finally, someone my age with diabetes!