- advertisement -

Must Haves & Diabetes Education

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by sab20619, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sab20619

sab20619 Approved members

I have been reading alot of posts here, and am wishing I've been visiting here alot more this past year. My daughter has been on the Omnipod pump since September, and since her main diagnosis was Leukemia, I feel like we've kind of fallen thru the cracks w/ Endocrinology. Like they've always had us on a need-to-know basis with education, and when we transitioned from steroid-induced to full blown T1, we never really started over and got the full education that newly dx T1 kids get. (As a side note, because of this we switched Endo's and am happy where we're at now, but again, we never really started from square 1)

So...I was wondering outside of the initial welcome to T1 training, carb counting, and pump training, what other diabetes training have you and/or your child had?

Second, all our must-haves for diabetes have been things I've researched and asked for, like the glucogon pen, cgm, and multiclix lancing device. Any input on what your T1 must-haves are would be much appreciated. Claire is in 6th grade and everywhere she goes she carries a little vera bradley purse w/ tons of pockets and always has on hand: pdm, batteries, insulin, lancets/lancing device, test strips, and her cell phone. The nurse has a glucogon pen in her office and if she is anywhere else w/o me, she takes the pen w/ her. She won't wear a medic alert bracelet, but I have a friend who's an EMT and said those bracelets look so much like jewelry now, their first action before looking for one w/ an unconscious patient is a bgl test.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

steph

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've made a habit of attending whatever is available & accessible to us. My dd's D camp offers an advanced workshop every spring. We've taken almost all the classes offered at https://type1university.com/ (Gary Scheiner taught all but 1 of those, & I highly recommend them for those new to T1)

JDRF holds conferences in our state that include workshops/discussions, & our local ADA offers get togethers from time to time that usually include a Q&A session with a local endo. If you're near a childrens' hospital, you could call & ask about any classes they offer. The Animas trainer in our area has recently started classes on carb counting, & also offers pump training. If you have a trainer/rep, you could ask if there's anything available.

And there's the annual Friends For Life conference hosted by CWD. You can read more about it here: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2014/

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

In terms of education, we found that there are some excellent reference texts on Type 1 Diabetes. I can especially recommend Type 1 Diabetes by Ragnar Hanas, Using Insulin by John Walsh, and Thnk Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. Good luck! :)