- advertisement -

"Must Have" features of glucose meters

Discussion in 'Glucose Meters' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Chase's mom

Chase's mom Approved members

We were given the Ultra Smart and the Accu-chek aviva in the hospital and we really like both of them. My son actually likes the lancet pen that comes with the Aviva he says it doesn't hurt at all. Oh and I just called Roche Pharmacueticals and they are sending me a free Accu-chek aviva for free.

If you need the number it is 317-521-2000 I told them I had one at home and needed another one for school and they are sending it out today.

2. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Jeff and all,

I presently use the Accu-Chek Aviva. Overall, an excellent meter. Only major feature I find it lacks is no backlight for testing at night. I have had superb customer service out of Roche anytime I ever needed anything. I will be switching meters soon though. Mainly due to my new insulin pump having a linked meter (Animas/One Touch Ping) and remote control. My secondary meter again will be the UltraSmart. I would love to see a new Accu-Chek Complete based on the current Aviva meter. Something like the UltraSmart meter meets the Aviva. All meter companies need such a data management meter for those who need one. I like the idea behind the new Bayer Contour USB meter.

3. MotivatedMom

MotivatedMom Approved members

Glucose meter with pump

Shelby's been on the Animus Ping Pump since March - we use the meter that goes with the pump since we can download numbers from there, and it stores all her numbers/bolas etc. in one device.
    We do have 'backup' meters like AccuChek etc. and you get 'free' ones when she was first diagnosed.
    The problem with her meter is it does not light up so on way back from Football game she tested - but couldn't see her number 'cause no lights on bus! I asked her to ask the bus driver to turn on the interior lights if she needed to test...but you know how teenagers are!
    Going to check into the new flash and see if we can use with Ping...thanks!

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Here in NZ we have three available - accuchek, optium (precision) and another one I can't remember that was only approved a couple of months ago.

When Phillip was dxd we started with the accuchek. Switched to optium a few months later. I prefer that one mainly because of the individually wrapped strips. When Phillip was younger he'd often spill the accuchek strips when he opened the vial. I also like that the optium tests blood ketones. One less thing for him to carry to his dads. I like the averages that the optium does too (7, 14, and 30 day averages) He doesn't use the lancet that came with the optium, that was horrible. He uses the multiclix.

I think for me the must haves would be:
    a back light
    individually wrapped strips
    ketone testing
    decent memory
    averages

It'd be great if you could set bg reminder alarms on them. But then Phillip would probably ignore them still like he does the pump alarms.:rolleyes:

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The Animas Ping remote does have a backlight. Just hold the 'OK' button for a little bit and it comes on.

You can use the Flash but of course will not send boluses over. Flash is very nice because it also has a strip light.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

sounds like you described the Precision Xtra meter from Abbott.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We currently use the One Touch Ping meter. We have used the Freestyle Flash, Flash lite, Accu Chek compact, Accu Chek Avia, Precision Xtra(for Ketones only) and the first meter the Accu Chek Advantage(blood sucker).

I really prefer the backlight and the light on the Flash is great!
    One Touch is okay , my kids seem to like them.

We use Accu Chek Multiclix lancet device no matter which brand of meter we use.

8. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Strip light
    Small (< .5 ul) sample size
    Beep when enough blood
    Long timeout in case you need to lance a second time
    Integrated lancing device
    Magazine of strips (inside the meter > 6, the more the better)
    Small overall size
    7, 14, and 30 averages
    Strip light
    Tissue dispenser
    Strip light

I think I'm describing a smaller version of the Accu-Chek Compact Plus with strips that take less blood, a strip light, and a tissue dispenser.

I'd give up all of these features if it were built into a cell phone that would also read data from a CGM and send it to me on a schedule or if limits were hit. In this case, it can have all the blood it needs, it can be huge, require a separate lancing device, give no averages, and I would not even require the tissue dispenser.

9. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Got switched again to the Freestyle Freedom Lite, then got the Dexcom 7 Plus, will in a few days get a new Dexcom 7 Plus and the Animas Ping with the Meter and Remote and back in the One Touch family. And happy to be back. Went from the Animas IR 1250 to the 2020 while it was still in warranty. Glad to have the Ping (slated to arrive in 4 days)

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Back light
    communicates with pump
    big font (yes at 16 I have the eyes of a 40yr old)
    bg averages
    size

right nowI use the ping remote which I love, but its big, like really big. before that I used the one touch ultra and the contour (not sure which model) I loved how little blood the contour used, but the ultra was more consistent for me... I also used onetouch minis, but I hated them, the back light was a pain to get on and I couldn't figure out how to set the time, plus their such a weird shape that they didn't fit into pockets...

I don;t worry about lancing devices, I just use which ever one I want regardless of what meter I use. I also don't keep them in their original cases, I put them in makeup cases that can also fit things like sets and candy for lows:)

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The single most important feature for me personally is blood sample size. It's the reason we have stopped using One Touch, Aviva simply is simpler/quicker to use and requires less blood. He never uses the Ping as a remote anymore, so I have switched him back to accucheck.

I also appreciate the accucheck copay card, saves me a lot. I don't factor that in as it could stop at any time, but it definitely works in their favor when making a decision.

I do miss the backlight.

12. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

The smallest blood drop I have found is that of the Abbott freestyle (0.3). Saying that I really do like the size and all in one in a meter that mendor has. If it had a better size lancet and light that would be perfect. I really don't understand why abbott is not making an efffort to make an elegant all in one meter.

13. steph

steph Approved members

We've been using the very basic one touch mini. I like how small and easy to carry it is. But all it does is test blood. I am looking for more features like being able to label or flag readings and enter Carb or insulin dose data as well so I don't have to keep a separate log book. My CDE is going to get me a one touch verio iq and a freestyle insulinx next week to try out. Anyone e had any experience with these or know of a meter that has the capabilities I'm looking for?

14. Joa

Joa Approved members

Aviva Expert

The actually most interesting meter is (my opinion) the AccuChek Aviva Expert. It seems not to be available in the US or Ca. So you would have to import it from Europe or elsewhere.
    Here a short introduction from the AccuChek uk-site.
    https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/avivaexpert.html#3
    Especially this meter is very compatible for children who need fine-tuned bolusing. And it has a wide range to choose a correct insulin sensitivity for the correction factor, up to 1U/300mg%.

Regards
    Joa

15. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

What? A medical device not available in the US? I'm shocked - SHOCKED!

It was probably developed here too.

16. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We've been using the new Contour Next Link for about a week now. We really like it but probably not enough to justify the added expense of tier 3 co-pays.

It is small, seems accurate, needs very little blood, and has a strip light, and backlit color screen.

The strip light is weak and turns off at inopportune moments. But overall its a huge improvement over the UltraLink.

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

And the New Zealand government see fit to ONLY fund the Caresens (??) meters.... :eek: :( :mad: