- advertisement -

Multiclix question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

After reading about how much people love their Multiclix, I decided to give it a try. We have a freebie we got in a JDRF bag, and I bought some drums at the drugstore. Emily has been using it for a week and really likes it.

Today I ask her if she's had any trouble changing the drums. She looks at me like I have 3 heads and tells me she hasn't had to change it yet! So I ask DH if he changed any drums and he said no!

Aren't they supposed to somehow "shut off" after 6 pokes? As of today she's used the same drum for a whole week! Is there something wrong with our Multiclix device? :confused:

2. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

If you look on the side of the multiclix you will see 6 white lines. After you prick your finger you slightly turn the top clockwise and a line will disappear ....you keep doing this each time til they are all gone. It doesn't switch lancets automatically, you need to do it.

Hope I explained it clear enough

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Nope, ours will work until I change it. If you remove the drum you cannot put it back in but other than that it will continue to function. That reminds me, I need to go change the drum :eek:

4. jendean

jendean Approved members

To be honest, we change drums a lot less often than we should.
    We probably use each lancet three times. Maybe less. I try to remember to change it every other day, but sometimes we go a few days.

Also, you have to turn the bottom of it so that you are not re-using the same lancet. You can only use one lancet in the barrell.

Otherwise, it is a good lancet device.
    :cwds:

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Andie~
    The multi clix won't tell you it's done. Everytime you give the top a twist, it moves to the next drum. There is white lines so you can see which one your on. When you can't twist it anymore, it's time to change it. Once you take the drum out, it won't go back in. It doesn't matter if you've only done one twist, once the drum has been removed it won't go back in. You can tell it's a used drum by a "red mark" on the white part of the drum.
    I hope this helps

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

You twist the barrel (which loads the next lancet) and then push it in to "cock". Melissa probably uses the last lancet 4 or 5 times unless I faithfully change it every morning.

LOL, we have lots of drums left each month even though we have run out of strips.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Is there any reason you can't reuse the lancets, like regular lancing devices? I turn it every few days when I think of it, or when I open a new bottle of strips.

8. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

Danielle turns hers when she has problems getting it to penetrate I think. I ask her and she says she turns it, but I wonder sometimes. Those drums seems to multiply in the cabinet....like rabbits.

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

That's what my son does. I don't think it's bad to reuse it.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

It hurts more if you reuse it alot. I know alot of people think reusing the lancet is bad, but then again, I know people who only change it when the clocks change! So, I think it is personal preference. My daughter changes the lancet when it starts to hurt.

11. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

Madi has one she takes only to school. I don't think she ever twists the thing to change a new needle unless she has a hard time getting blood, meaning it's too dull. I do it a few times a week for her since she only uses it to check before lunch and before gym - so 8 checks per week so that is reusing the lancet about 3x each. We have another one for at home and reuse those about the same. She has the depth setting at 3.5 (and 4 when we use the thumb) and has only had D almost 2 years. I was very surprised at a thread here saying kids had D for years and years and were on lower settings for the multiclix. Her fingers must be calloused already.

12. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I change mine when I think about it. I have reused lots of lancets . Most of the time the clickers would wear out before I used up a box of lancets. I have tons of lancets in boxes at home. I know I have some that are 7 or 8 years old and have never been opened.