- advertisement -

mother of an adult child

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by crmom, Feb 25, 2016.

1. crmom

crmom New Member

my daughter was 12 when she was diagnosed. Went on the pump with in the year after, went off the pup 2nd year of college. She is now 28 , married and planning on starting a family. Decided she wants to go back on the Animas pump for tight control and also will use the CGM. She is having difficulty with her decision to go back on the pump, she says she hurts from all the injections and knows she will be able to have tighter control. But just the thought of being connected to now 2 items makes it more known to others as well as a reminder she is a type 1 diabetic. I wanted her to take a look at the omnipod but she did not want to do that. She is going tomorrow to get the pump and have everything reviewed. I am having a hard time with this as well, seeing her so upset bothers me terribly. We chatted about the positive of how she can have a healthy pregnancy and child.
    Just wanted to see if any other parents are going through this as well. It somehow was easier when she was a child because of many reasons obviously but I really am struggling that she did not give the omnipod a second look, just think the no tubing would have been a big plus factor.
    We have been waiting for the next phase to come so there would be no more pumps, was so hopeful for a cure by the time she was ready to be a parent.
    Anyone have any new information on the reality of this happening.

2. scarral

scarral Approved members

My almost 4 yo was diagnosed this past October. I've been looking at your last question closely. The one piece of research that seems to offer the most hope is stem cell research. I read that they managed to grow beta cells and implanted them in diabetic mice. They didn't need any insulin for 6 months, until the immune system started killing them again. Unfortunately it looks like any possible cure anybody could come up with will unfortunately be only temporary unless they find a way to stop the autoimmune attack.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

She might be better off starting on the dexcom CGM so that she can get a good, clear picture of her "control" and then decide if a pump would help her do a better job and if so, which pumps she prefers.

Personally, I think the whole tubing thing is overblown. Some people like the Pod, some people don't. Some people think tubing is a big deal, some people think not. Her body, her call.

As for a cure. Mine has been D for nearly 14 years and yes, we too were "promised" a cure in 10 years. It is what it is. Mostly she just gets on with her life and when a technological advancement comes along, we avail ourselves of it, when a biological cure arrives we'll celebrate, but in the meanwhile she has a life to live so that's what she does.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm an adult female on a pump and Dexcom. I had the same fears about being connected to 2 devices. But once I started wearing them all my fears were gone. No issues. I figured out how to wear everything with dresses and swimwear. I didn't want the omnipod because it was SO bulky. It's much easier to hide a pump in a bra then a large lump on your arm. I generally wear the Dex on my back hip. Good luck to your daughter. I also found diabetes much less intrusive being able to bolus for food with the touch of a button rather than whip out a pen and needles and try to find an injection site (especially with winter clothes on).

5. crmom

crmom New Member

Thank you Brenda for sharing. Feeling better hearing your story. And I see you have a child with Addison's. My sister has Addison's as well. And a child training for the Olympics, awesome, you sound like you are one busy lady.

6. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I became a diabetic back in the days when there were no pumps, no CGM's. I used the syringe and vial until November of 2015 and I went on the t:slim G4. I was looking at the Vibe but my Endo wouldn't prescribe that pump, so I went with the G4 instead. I had been using the Dexcom before that, so I was used to the Dexcom sensor already. Because I have a water bed, I can only place the sensor on one side of my body due to the water problems with the transmitter.

I had two very healthy, and at the time, underweight babies for type 1 diabetics. My son was born in 1983 and was 8.1 pounds. He was 5 weeks early. My daughter was born in 1985 4 weeks early and weighed 7.4 pounds. All I had was my good old glucometer and then the fasting blood sugars to monitor my control. I had no diabetic problems during my pregnancies, only a few lows because I had all day sickness.

I was also told a cure would be found within 10 years. Now I just shake my head. I've lived with being a diabetic most of my life, so it's a part of who I am. I have no complications and if/when a cure is found that'll be great for others.