- advertisement -

Mother of a type 1 son

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kathie0003, Mar 29, 2013.

1. kathie0003

kathie0003 New Member

Hi all. My oldest son was diagnosed with with type 1 Jan 4, 2011. He is turning 12 this may and we had our first hospital visit since dx. I figure it's time to start talking to other people. Last summer my middle child went on meds for AD/HD with violent impulses then to top it off my youngest was dx with ciliacs disease. We are trying to keep up with everything and now my oldest is on the outskirts of puberty. If this is what we have to look forward to it's going to be a long couple of years...We make sure that we are the rock they can lean on with all this but some days I just want to through a 2 year old tantrum. Please don't misunderstand. I am almost neurotic with everything. We have schedules and all and some days we have constructive fun, but what I need is some place that will let me whine and sulk a little because this has become more than I ever imagined. I've gotten everything from OMG how will he ever live to what? all he has to do is manage it he'll be fine. No one stops to think what the parents might be going through...and today was a heart failure. He passed out at a friends house because his sugar bottomed out. Sooo yeah after an hour of food he still wasn't over 50 and off to the ER we went...yep a little heart failure...

2. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Hi, I don't have any experience with a 12 year old (yet). . .my son just turned 3 and was diagnosed when he was 4.5 months old. The first few months were hard. I am a diabetic myself, but I didn't know anyone else who had a diabetic child. About a year ago I met some other mom's through a facebook support group - we all met up for coffee. I didn't have a whole lot in common with them besides diabetes, and their kids were all in school, but then, through the same group, I found out about a playgroup specifically for diabetic kids, and although an hours drive away, we try to go each week. Because all of our children are preschool age we tend to have more to talk about. Not sure if there are any support groups, etc, in your area, but even knowing one other parent will probably be a big help.

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My daughter had a day like that yesterday, too. I wanted to blame it on hormones, so it is interesting that a boy experienced it, too and I can throw that theory out the window. I am going to blame it on the full moon;). The important thing is that they are both safe.

You have a lot on your plate and I totally get the "temper tantrum" feeling. For me it happens most when I have not slept well over a long period of time and my adrenal glands are overworked. Taking supplements for this has helped a lot as does meditation. I hope you can find a little time to take care of yourself as well as you are taking care of your children.

4. hfreeman

hfreeman New Member

Heart Failure! Holy cow!

Kathie, I am soo sorry to hear of your struggles. You have more than most to deal with and whining about it sometimes is necessary to keep your sanity. I too have a 12 year old son who was diagnosed in 2011 and the severe low bg is my biggest fear. He test up to 10x per day, some may think it is excessive but he is very physically active and is going thru puberty so he has a lot of ups and downs. Is your son on a pump? Just know you are not alone. This is my first time on any forums so hopefully you are able to see my message, keep your head up and remember to just breathe.