- advertisement -

Most insulin per carb?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, May 19, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Just curious. What is the highest ratio you normally use?

We have been using more and more insulin each morning at breakfast trying to avoid persistent highs at mid-morning. Last September we started at a ratio of 1:15 and now this morning we tried a ratio of 1:8. Is it reasonable to keep raising the ratio or do we just give up and accept that it is as high as is reasonable?

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Right now 1:8. We have done 1:7

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Our highest ever was about 1:8, now it's 1:12.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Gracie needs a lot of insulin in the morning, she is 10 and I think she's currently at 1:7, but the endo thinks she needs closer to 1:5. The rest of the day she doesn't get so much, it's just that dang breakfast time . . .

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Right now we are 1:12. I think its a matter of experimenting with different foods and prebolusing for some foods earlier than others. Many people find these issues with the morning bolus. It almost takes the body several hours to get used to that first meal of the day.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are at 1:12 for breakfast, and 1:18 for the rest of the day.
    Seeing her recent am post numbers though, we are due for a little bump in the I:C.

I tend to see with my daughter a spike no matter what at breakfast. Even if she had a glass of water, eggs, and bacon, she would still have a spike. This is how it's always been for her.

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris is 14 and in the full throes of puberty. At times we are up to 1:4 at breakfast. His morning basal rate is 1.95u/h.

8. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We recently went down from !:15 to 1:12 to 1:11 - the doc suggested 1:10 to make the math easier. Makes sense:) We may do that.

9. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Alison is 14 and her current breakfast ratio is 1:4. Lunch is 1:10 and supper is 1:9, so she gets quite a bit of insulin for meals.

10. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

1:12 breakfast
    1:15 lunch
    1:18 afternoon snack
    1:20 dinner

It works for us for now!

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

1:9 at breakfast right now. 1:9.5 would be better, I think.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Great question.
    We're not in the same place because Selah's so small, but I was wondered about variation also.

If you are considering whether you should keep changing the I:C ratio or need to increase basal instead, there are rules of thumb and other advice people can give you on that. It's hard to parse out but some things are indicators of too little basal, some of too little bolus. In the end if you need more bolus insulin you need more. We use a lot for her age, I think, 1:15 sometimes, and she's only 36 pounds.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm currently on 1:10 all day. I used to need 1:5 for breakfast when I was a younger teen.. I've definitely become less insulin resistant in the morning since I got older.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes, it is reasonable to keep raising the ratio.

No, you should never just give up.

Danielle is currently on 1:4 at breakfast and 1:10 for the rest of her meals.

15. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

1:9 for breakfast.

16. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana is 1:17 for breakfast. The rest of the day is 1:25 or 1:30.

17. phojay

phojay New Member

Max has been on 1:5 ratio for every meal for last 6mths, he is 3yrs old, he also has 40 units of levemir a day split into 2 injections. Seems a lot to me compared to other replies!

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This is a lot of insulin for a 3 year old. What are his BGs like, and have you discussed insulin resistance with his endo?

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Is it a spike that comes back down, or is it a persistant high until lunch? If it's a spike (which is what we deal with in the mornings), pre-bolusing will help. We find if we can do his dose 20-30 minutes before he eats, it really helps to lessen the spike and kep him more steady through the morning. If it's a persistant high, then yes you probably need to increase the dose.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Did you mean that he's 13 years old?