- advertisement -

Morning highs...then low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Mar 27, 2010.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Reece has been running about 250 2hrs after bfast. An hour later he is in the 80's sometimes low 70's ( lower if recess is involved)...can some one help me?? Do I increase the morning bolus and decrease mid morn. basal??? I have looked at #'s till I do not know what to do!!!! ANY help would be great~ thanks:cwds:

2. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

How are his numbers the rest of the day? What is his waking BG number?

With just the info you gave I would think of changing the insulin to carb ratio for breakfast.

What is your I:C ratio?

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Need more info. What is he having for breakfast?
    Also have you done a basal test with a zero carb breakfast?

If he is getting fast acting carbs for breakfast, you may need to prebolus by up to 1/2 hour and give LESS bolus insulin.

4. sweetkid4

His waking number are great! As well as the rest of the day. It is just morning
    And I have not done a no carb bfast to test basals...great idea. And his bfast, I am sorry to say is not always that healthy. Usually sausage and cereal, maybe poptarts:eek:. We are usually running late so the faster the better...and he refuses to eat anything else:rolleyes:

I am just worried about if I change the I:C ( which is 1:13 for morning) that he will run even lower later..???

And I can ask the endo but I will not get a response till Monday night or Tues morning and I driving myself nuts.

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Assuming the basal is OK, you probably just need to prebolus for breakfast by 15 to 30 minutes. The carb ratio probably needs to go higher, not lower, like from 1:13 to 1:15.

The fast acting carbs are just digesting before the insulin can absorb. That is why you see the spike. If he goes down to 70 after the spike, then he is getting too much insulin from either bolus or basal. A zero carb basal test might show you which it is. Be warned though, that even just protein and fat can affect BG and the absolutely best basal test is FASTING. I know that is tough to do with a young child.

I'd start by prebolusing if you can. If you can't, then I would suggest adding protein to breakfast and less fast acting carbs. Have him eat protein before the carbs if you can.

6. Omo2three

the goal is to fix the low....so I would give LEss insulin to cover his Carbs...Try decreasing it, I agree w Jacob's Dad...try 1:15 for that meal.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You have gotten some good advice, hope it works for you. I just wanted to say that Poptarts are E V I L incarnate.....:mad: ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. sweetkid4

Just and update....

I lowered his I:C to 15 and pre-bolused this morning about 10-15 min. Beautiful bg's 2 and 3 hours after :D Thank you guys so much :cwds:

10. Omo2three

Glad you had success....nice job.

:)

11. Toni

Toni Banned

Think your ICR is okay because he spikes from 250 to 80. And you say your basals are good. It's the constitution of your breakfast, that being, he is eating cereal or Pop Tarts. Don't buy Pop Tarts anymore but cereal can be quite a problem for us at breakfast. We don't give cereal for breakfast but afternoon snack, if she craves it. For us some breakfast food that does not spike is French Toast with sugarfree syrup, eggs, slice toast milk, sugar free oatmeal (it is low carb load at 18 grams), even crackers, cheese and a little fruit or yogurt and fruit. I think it's the cereal and Pop Tarts. Both evil breakfast foods.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

This is exactly what I was going to say! Or maybe give the insulin 15 minutes ahead. Just make sure he is feeling well to eat when you pre bolus.
    We have found the Fiber One Poptarts work fine for us. Never the regular kind.