- advertisement -

More than normal insulin needed for big meals?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lorraine, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

There is likely a thread out there somewhere addressing this, but I can't find it with my searches.

I'm wondering if anyone finds the need to add extra insulin for larger than normal meals?? Caleb eats similar amounts at mealtimes. However in the last couple of weeks there has been 2 times when he has had an unusually large amount of carbs which had resulted in long lasting highs. For example, today at lunch, he had a normal lunch, but then asked for an additional sandwich. He was bolused for all the carbs he ate before he ate, but he's been over 250 ever since despite 2 corrections. This is very unusual. He ate soybean butter and jelly sandwiches which he eats all the time with never anything unusual happening.

This also happened a week ago - he had a twelve inch wheat bread sub and a small piece of crumb cake - 120 carbs!! I thought he might be off at the 2 hr mark, but I didn't expect the never ending night of highs that ensued.

I just seem to remember other times, although a while ago, where he has had a large amount of carbs, he was bolused and no issues, so this seems odd. But you are all a wealth of information and I know you'll coach me appropriately.

As always, thanks.

Lorraine

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

It's not necessarily the amount of the carbs, it's also the fats and protein involved in the meal. Remember that a large meal like a 12 inch sub will have plenty of protein and some fat that will cause elevated blood sugars for several hours, sometimes even for 24-36 hours.

Sorry about your new diagnosis, seems I have missed your arrival until now. Good for you getting him on a pump so quickly.

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I have noticed that large amounts of pure carbs do take more insulin. All else being equal, there is a distinct difference between Alex eating 40g vs. 80g of pasta than a straight (linear) I:C would explain.

But, large carbs might mean large protein intake. If it's a lot, we'll measure the protein and count it as a 50% carb, usually in the second half of a split bolus.