- advertisement -

More Ping issues! ARGH!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Over the last two weeks there have been several times when I have gone to give Tyler a correction bolus in the middle of the night and it alarms PUMP NOT PRIMED... urgh!!! We just had his Ping replaced in May.

Thankfully he isn't receiving any basal through his pump at this time, so really not a big "issue" besides digging under his covers for his pump, disconnecting the pump, and priming it and then reconnecting, all without having to wake Tyler up. (I will admit to being too lazy to go through those steps the other night and not correcting 170:eek:)

Now I realize that the Ping loses it's prime with extreme temperature changes, but that isn't happening, loose battery cap, or loose cartridge cap, but I have checked those and they are fine.

Any other suggestions of what to troubleshoot before I have to make the dreaded call to Animas?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have no clue. In the 3+ years we've been on the Ping, and the 2020 before that, I think I've only received that error once and it was a loose cap that was causing it.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Make the dreaded call. We had the not priming issue a while back and it was none of the above. We had a new pump in 24 hours.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Could it have anything to do with doing blouses only and no basal? The pump isn't constantly pushing insulin so it somehow thinks it lost the prime?

I don't think it should matter and sounds like a malfunction but most don't have the experience of untethered.

5. polly

polly Approved members

This has happened to us twice in the last week! Calling Animas tomorrow...

6. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I just had that issue as well...

I got "yelled at" because I don't change the insulin cartridge with every site change.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good luck...

7. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Had the same issue not that long ago. I called and went through everything you mentioned. I then replaced the cartridge (I hated wasting the insulin) AND that fixed. I used to have more issues with the cartridge losing its prime, but since I have insisted the pump stay in a pack and it rarely happens now. I know my DD was a little rough on it so the banging around would lead to loss of prime.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

One thing that caused it for us was not lubricating the cartridge's o-ring before we filled it with insulin. (You know, the thing where you "pump" the empty cartridge a few times to get the lubricant across the the o-ring.)

Other than that, we have only had this problem if the tubbing got tugged or if the cap was loose.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we had it one time where the tube got a small kink in it, than returned to normal. That one spot though I guess caused a problem with insulin flow and told the pump it was not primed. Changed sites and the problem went away. Animus sent us a replacement set and had us send them the bad one for study

10. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I don't think that is the problem, he has been untethered for quite some time now with no problems with loss of prime.

I already had a pounding headache today and just wasn't up for the call to Animas, I will call tomorrow and let you know what they say