- advertisement -

More Failed dexcom sensors

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Eric's mom, Jan 25, 2010.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it's *possible* but unlikely that the Dex just doesn't work for his body type. I have read some reports of people for whom one CGM flat out doesn't work for them, but another does. There are a couple on this board. But it's pretty rare. The fact that so many others having problems with the sensors makes me think that this is "just" a problem with the sensors.

2. hawkeyegirl

Well, if that's what the rep meant, it's pretty disingenuous. I consider a "weakness" of, for example, the MM system to be the introducer needle size or the fact that you need tape to keep it on. Or the Navigator's 10 hour warm-up. Dex's current sensor issues are not a weakness - they're a defect. More similar to the indefinite mute issue on the Nav, but much more annoying and problematic.

Again, I think they'll get it fixed. It is a good system that performed great before these sensor problems.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

Guys let me clarify what the rep was telling me...She stated that the issues that they were having did not mean that their system was of poor quality. She said that they still had a good product, in her words the best on the market and that other CGMs have other issues. She did not point out issues of other CGMs. Then she said that the technology is not perfect and you needed to set your expectations accordingly. My mistake for implying that she was bashing other brands sensors because she was not...

I think she was worried that I would give up and switch to the Navigator or Guardian. I mainly choose the Dexcom because they were integrating with the Omnipod and the insertion needle was the thinnest and I wanted to minimize the scar tissue. I am not sure if I made a mistake yet but I can say that I am getting very frustrated with the situation.

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have not had a dex sensor expire early or fail in a very long period of time. It seems like everyone here is having issues but if you read around at other boards you will find the issues are the same with the other CGMS also. I know of MANY people that have stopped using the MM becuase it is never accurate and is a waste of money. I also know of the same with the navigator. I am not saying that to defend the dex becuase I am sure for some it has had problems but we are fooling ourselves if we think this is only limited to the dexcom. Maybe more of it is reported here because the majority of posters use the dexcom. If all the lurkers usings all of the cgm came out and posted about issues I bet we would all be supriesd that the navigator and MM have the same amount of issues.

I hope dexcom is working on the problem but like I said we have not had any issues what so ever with it. We get our supplies from edgepark like others on here. Maybe it really does come down to body chemsitry. The navigator was a disaster for my son and it works great for others.

5. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

I know I realize the technology is not perfect, but I do expect their sensors to work consistently. I worry about this quality control they seem to have an issue with.

We never had a sensor fail until after October. I had two boxes that I ordered in mid in 2009, so we had not ordered until later in the year and that is when the problems started for us. I'd get one good one then many many sensor failed. I have not paid for a sensor since October and he has not taken a break from it either. Until now that is. And I'd rather be paying for them then having the majority fail.

So I am more inclined to think it's not my son's body, but a quality issue with dexcom. We came to really rely on the cgms. It's hard not to have it.

It's been very frustrating for us.

6. hawkeyegirl

Well, again, you can find people who have had issues with all 3 systems, that's for sure. They do all have their quirks and problems, but this sensor issue goes beyond that. The majority of kids on this board (at least at the time of the last poll on this issue) use a MM CGM, and you can bet your bottom that if there were widespread multiple sensor failures that went on for months and months, you would see a crap ton of posts on that issue. I'm not sure why you think that Nav and MM users are more likely to be lurkers than Dex users. When the Nav was having its transmitter issues, we heard a lot about that. It appears that they fixed it, so we're not hearing about it anymore. Once Dex fixes this problem, I'm sure the same thing will happen.

If MM stopped making their CGM tomorrow, we'd switch to Dex. (Well, after they got this sensor thing worked out.) But they are having serious quality control issues right now that go above and beyond the "normal" CGM quirks. For the rep to say that CGMs are not perfect and that you have to adjust your expectations accordingly...what does that mean? That these sensor failures are within the parameters of what Dexcom considers acceptable? I get that she wasn't explicitly bashing other brands, but she was implying that this sort of sensor failure is normal for the current state of the technology, when it is, in fact, not. It doesn't even make any sense for the rep to imply that it is, as Dex didn't have these problems before last year.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. Dan

Dan Approved members

I agree this Sensor issue we are having is not normal nor acceptable. The rep also agreed with that. She was not implying that my expectations needed to be adjusted to accept these issues. She was only pointing out that it is not the same as a finger stick and not to expect that it would be a complete replacement. That was the topic of our conversation when she made those comments. I told her that I did not expect it to replace the finger sticks but I expected at least to get 8 out of 9 sensors to work correctly...

I may end up switching to the MM if that seems to be the better choice...;)

A manager called me today and is going to send me two new sensors from a completely different batch and if these work out fine they are going to replace the entire batch...so lets see...I will keep everyone posted.

8. CraigL

CraigL New Member

We have been using Dex for just over a month now. The sensors have been pretty darn accurate when they are working but 3 of 5 have failed. I think the last one only made it because we would restart it if we had more than an hour of ??? Our little one is only 3 and the insertion process is difficult and emotional. I am thinking of only replacing them once a week regardless of failure just to reduce the stress on Jack. I think it is a wonderful product, especially given Jack's hypoglycemic unawareness but it is a bummer to see that the problem has been so wide spread for so long. 8 days on current sensor. I am hoping the next one goes at least 7 as well.

Craig

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yeah - I agree with that. When William first started using the Nav was when Abbott was unable to replace broken parts (like transmitters I think) - I know some people were unable to use their system at all for weeks waiting for a new part. The people frustrated by Nav (though few) were VERY vocal for weeks and weeks.

I think (no matter the system) what we cannot get a sense of here is how many people using a certain system are actually having problems compared to the overall number of users. Some people with problems could potentially post multiple times a day while a person having problems with another system rarely posts.

Don't take this to mean that I'm complaining that people are complaining too much - I do not mean that at all. ;)

What concerns me about the Dex - from the posts I've read and I'm not a user - is that several people here had used it for awhile and had fine results and then suddenly they started getting tons of sensor failures. What seems odd is that some long time users seem to have no problems - so what is up with that? I'm sort of frustrated for you because I think the Dex has a lot of positives and the future integration with Animas - so I really would like to see it work perfectly since we use an Animas pump.

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I hope they work...we have done this more than once...entire boxes returned only to receive entire boxes that have 2 that work and 2 that don't ....we are on our 3rd consecutive "good" sensor now.

This one we restarted at initial ??? and we are on day 4 now.
    The other two worked completely fine the entire time.

It is definitely a quality control issue, no doubt...not body type, not a "not for my kid" issue...not an insertion problem, not an iv prep problem...in this case...it is a quality control problem. Sensor Failed error message is occuring because it is a bad sensor...a bad sensor....a bad sensor...It is a quality control issue...they used to work, now they don't...something changed...and they need to fix it.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

We are still on a Dex break. Still.....:( She does not seem that eager to put another one on because she said the readings are often wrong anyway so what's the point. And we have not had all the failed sensor problems, just inaccuracies and huge problem with ??? overnight. This is most definitely a quality control issue and it started at a very specific time. If you look up old posts you can find the time period when this started to occur. Dexcom sensors did not always have this fault. Who wants to stick their kid with a sensor and keep pulling them out, with a 50 percent failure error rate for one Mom who just posted? Dex really needs to get it together and I love Dex! Love the ease of use. If Minimed reduces size of their introducer needle, there will be a lot of defectors, I predict.

12. Eric's mom

Glad to hear this worked!

We are still on a break!

13. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I've gotten to the point that if the sensor lasts 5 days, I consider it to be a good one. :rolleyes:
    We got our first non Sensor Failed message last night. We got the Sensor Error #0 instead. Not sure whether to celebrate that it didn't just fail or not, since in the end it ended up all the same anyway.
    When the replacements are no better than the sensor they replaced, is there any real need in having them replaced???? Yes I'm getting bitter. Sorry.
    Ok, taking deep breaths and hoping he won't fight ANOTHER early site change too much.

14. Eric's mom

I'd love to see 5 days!

I know what you mean about the replacements. I just keeping hoping the replacements will be the good ones.....no such luck so far.

Our early changes were costing me too much bribe money! Tomorrow I plan to do one while he is sleeping.

Hoping you get some good sensors soon too :)

What is strange out this whole failed sensor thing for us anyway, is for the days the sensor is working, the accuracy during the day is great. But night is not, shows low most of the night when he is not. And when the sensor works at night, then the sensor would normally last 7 + days.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  15. Dan

Dan Approved members

Just got 4 replacement sensors that were dated 7/10. It has only been on one day but one thing I will say is that the numbers are the most accurate that I have seen with all the sensors we have used so far. The Dex is only off by 3-5 points every time I check him. Don't want to jinx myself but lets see if we can get 7 days now...

16. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I think that sounds like a very reasonable thing to do, especially for a little one.

We are now back Dexing here after an extended break. We are on start-up right now and this is a replacement sensor. I hope it works.

We caught a break when I argued with our insurance that there should not be a deductible on the sensors, just a copay. I won! Part of the reason we were on Dex break was financial.

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

I find a relaxed regular schedule regardless of failures is a good plan. I am an adult and the one using the sensor and I never get more than 5 1/2 days and sometimes only four or two and also try and just change out on the same day no matter when the sensor fails. So I always have two days without data at least. My hubby inserts for me so I also am balancing his schedule. But...as the one using it I can tell you that the regular day for change and the breaks are helpful for me plus the more relaxed approach. I do love my sensor and you do get really spoiled with the fewer BG checks and data but I also find it is good for me to have to think a bit about how I am really feeling and not relying on the trend line. But as always YDMV and it is very different for an adult as compared to a child and parents. :)Good luck. Ali (I use MM not Dex so just commenting on scheduling)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  18. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

hmmm. Dexcom says "no difference", but I think you did the right thing.

Susan, this would have had a positive effect in only one situation: If the calibrations following the first startup were "whacky", a complete new startup throws them away. Fighting against "???" still uses those those earlier messed-up readings to set the calibration curve. If either the Sensor or the finger-poke was mis-behaving at the initial Start-up calibration, then your restart might have helped a lot.

But this is only my guess, and some people at Dexcom say otherwise: I've been told that a total Restart does no better than letting it sit for a couple more hours, showing "???", without a doing a restart. (But I still don't believe that, and I do it your way. :cwds:)

19. Dan

Dan Approved members

I have used 3 sensors dated in July and everyone has lasted 10+ days...looks like the issue was with sensors dated in June.

20. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I am having a horrible time with my May sensors . . . hope I get some July's next time, too!!!