- advertisement -

Money Saving Tip

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sooz, Feb 2, 2012.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

I read this recipe today for homemade laundry detergent and I thought I would pass it on. She says for $20 you can make 8-12 months of detergent. Seemed pretty easy.

http://m.pinterest.com/pin/193654852696766416/

Any other tips to share?

I think I fixed the link so it should work now. Click on the jar to see the recipe.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Sounds very cool and easy to make. I make my own mirror and glass cleaner using ammonia, rubbing alcohol, some water and a drop or two of liquid dish soap. Works wonders....and it saves us money! Thanks for sharing! :)

3. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

check out the copies of the tightwad gazette by amy dicysion (probably not how you spell the last name) all the famous reciepes are in there for home made cleaning products, including liquid laundry soap which I have used. She has many great tips and tricks you can still use today.

dollar stretcher is another great web site to go to http://www.stretcher.com/ for some frugal family tips.

4. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Thanks for the tip! I use vinegar and water with a drop of liquid dish soap as an all purpose cleaner. It works great on the counters and stove and for quick spot cleaning of the floor. If you don't like the smell you can add lemon juice to it.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I have a high efficiency washer and the special soap one is supposed to use is darn expensive. I also had to have a repairman come out because even with the special HE soap the machines get gunked up easily.

So I did switch to the home made stuff. I don't use that recipe but I am really happy with the one I do use - it is cheap and easy.

Just like the one posted mine starts with Borax and Super washing soda except I don't add the fels naptha or the oxyclean. Originally I added some soap but it was a pain. Now I just skip it and it works great without it. If I ever felt a need to add detergent (the bar soap) then I would just add a smidge of liquid HE soap that I have leftover to that load.

I have considered leaving mine as a powder but that powder can get in your eyes or lungs when scooping it and I think it is safer to make up a jug of dissolved laundry soap.

The oxyclean says it is not to be used on certain colors so I leave it out. Again I see no reason one could not just add it on certain loads.

1/2 C of borax and 1 C of super washing soda mixed with 8 cups of very hot water goes a very long way. It is even cheaper since I don't buy the fels nor the oxyclean and I have had zero problems with my machine clogging up. I did reduce the amount of borax from 1C to 1/2 C because it bleached a few items when it was stronger. I use about 3/4 of a C mixed per load so I do have to mix it more often. Again that is my personal choice since borax is toxic and as little as a few grams ingested can kill a person (so if you mix it in your kitchen clean up well). I do not think the liquid would be ingested as easily since a spill is obviously wet and it won't float in the air. In case this is deterring someone from making this too many regular laundry products also have borax in it - they just charge you more (though they do stick it to a bit of sawdust in the powder form so that it does not fly around. IMO it is better not to put sawdust in your machine)

One additional advantage of mixing with water: the mineral deposits come out of solution before you put it in your machine and not after. If you have hard water you will find "rocks" in the bottom of your jug of home made laundry wash. Those are minerals that never got into your machine in the first place!

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I buy store brand or generic on lots of stuff, but I've never been happy with a bargain detergent so I always buy Tide or Gain.

So I've shied away from trying homemade detergent figuring it wasn't worth the bother and probably wouldn't work as well anyway.

But this weekend I went pilgrim and made a batch of this stuff. I did buy Purex crystals and threw in 2 cups for scent.

It was super easy to make and this stuff rocks! I've done 6-7 loads with it and things are crisp, bright and smell great. I swear the clothing looks cleaner and fresher than it ever has with Tide or Gain. And I'm tickled looking at 6 months of detergent for $20 :D

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've been making our own laundry detergent for years now. Very inexpensive and works fabulously. We mix borax, washing soda, Zote soap and a bit of OxyClean, shake it up and keep the jar in the laundry room. Only takes one spoonful a load. We probably fill the jar 3 times a year and it is much less than $20 a year for the ingredients.