- advertisement -

Moment of Confusion

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

I am experiencing a senior moment, can you help me? Hailey was low before dinner, 59, plus she is running a low grade fever for the second evening in a row. I gave her a juice box to bring her up. Then, without waiting to retest, I let her have her dinner which totaled 60 g of carbs. My thinking was, she would retest after 15 min and bolus for the carbs she ate. I let her go ahead and eat because she was starving. Now, we waited too long to retest and by the time she tested she was 208. I got confused at this point :eek: when we entered the carbs in the PDM it wanted to give her over 5units of insulin to get her back to 100 which is always the goal. I felt since we had waited a bit long to retest that was sort of a false high and instead I had her zero out the carbs and just "push" the insulin for the carbs eaten, minus the juice which was used to bring her up. I will correct any mistake later but I wanted to err on the side of caution after the low. Did I do the right thing or should I have let the PDM calculate the bolus based on the 208 blood sugar reading? I don't know why I feel confsed about this :p.

Also, any ideas about her running a low grade fever in the evening but being fine the rest of the day. I think maybe she is fighting something off.

2. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

That's exactly what I would have done :)

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

is she getting her second molars in? and the fever?

I would just use the low bg number but add the juice into the dinner carbs. she was at the bottom already otherwise she could not have come up that fast.

To answer the question, no I would not let the 208 be used.

I would either write off the juice to counter act the low, or add it to the dinner carbs and use the low bg number.

4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I would just give insulin for the dinner carbs and even at that I might subtract a few carbs since she was 59. I would base this on whether she was acting low or not (meaning she might be dropping fast and would have needed a second correction). Either way you can always correct down the line.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I would have just given insulin for the dinner carbs and not the 208. :)

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thank you everyone. I don't know why I got so confused, D math overload maybe. :eek:

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

me too.. :cwds:

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would have bolused just for the dinner carbs as well.

Actually, with a fever, I would have gone light on the insulin. Nathan typically runs stubbornly low with fevers.

I hope she feels better. Diabetes gets more nerve-wracking than usual when you add even a slight illness.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

what part?

My dd always gets a low grade fever with teething.

Or about the bolus info?

I would not use the 208 in either case but mya choose to different methods of bolusing after such a situation.

1) assume that the juice was enought to bring up the low, and just bolus for carbs.

1) assume that the juice may have been too much to bring up the low, and use the "low bg #" and add the juice carbs to the meal carbs and use the low bg number in order to calculate an appropriate bolus that is bolusing for over correction with juice.