- advertisement -

Mom of 4 year old in Austin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. tina

tina Approved members

Hello!

My name is Tina and my son Nyjah was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last week. He had been drinking and peeing a lot for about three weeks and I searched on medline and found diabetes as a possibility. My in-laws, boyfriend, ex-husband and coworkers all told me I was being a bit paranoid and shouldnt be reading online medical sites, but a quick "neurotic mom" trip to the dr ended us up in the hospital for three days.

He is doing well for the moment, but I am dealing with the emotional turmoil via compulsively buying sugar free groceries, stocking up on enough diabetic supplies to last through a nuclear war, and meticulous recording of every possible metric applicable :). We are settling down into a routine and starting to adapt, with the understanding it will be chaotic.

Thanks for advice and help so far.

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Tina, I am so sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. How old is he? What type of insulin regimen is he on?

The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself, read all you can about Type 1; the more you know, the less fear you will have. Someone here will probably list some book titles for you... such as Think Like A Pancreas, and others.

You may go thru a sort of "grieving" period, but you will be ok, your son will be ok. Good for you for using your "mommy sense" to get your child to the doctor! We have that instinct and know when things are not right!

Please note, that even though something says "sugar free" it may not be "carb free" and the product may contain ingredients that may upset stomachs, some of those artificial ingredients can do that.

Come back to this site often and seek advice, vent, etc. One day, you will be here lending advice to others!

All the best,
    Kathy

3. HelenaHandBasket

HelenaHandBasket Approved members

Welcome Tina!

I can relate to not being able to relax until I had enough food in the house for him!! It's comforting to have a stash of supplies!!:D

I'm OCD so I get the "stuff" factor.

I'm sorry that you had to end up here but it's been a WEALTH of information and support!!

Welcome!!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Tina and welcome. How old is your boy? Im sorry that you were right about the symptoms he was having but often Mom's know best. How are you all adjusting so far? It is very normal to be fearful of everything in the beginning, be patient with yourself and come back here anytime to ask questions or to just talk to those who understand best.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Welcome Tina!

I am from Austin as well (if you mean Texas, that is). My son was dx'd at age three years 10 months, but that was nearly 14 years ago!

This forumn is a great resource for you to find out the little things the endo can't tell you, as she/her doesn't live with the disease, as well as affim what you are taught as to how to live with diabetes.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI and welcome.. I still remember my "neurotic mom" trip to the dr's office, where I was sure I was wasting my time, gas money and the dr's time for the trip.

Don't worry so much about sugar free goodies.. most of us find that giving the regular 'sugar' treats are easier (sugar alcohols mess with the blood sugar, and are typically a higher carb count).. The only thing we don't see that with is sugar free jell-o :).

Jump right in!

7. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

Hi! I am so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing I did. My son, Javeyn, is 3 years old and about a month ago we found out that he was diabetic. Same symptoms - he was really thirsty and urinating everywhere for about 2 weeks! I am still very emotional. I actually joined this website yesterday to try to ease my pain some by communicating with other parents. It is so hard to control my son's sugar right now. I find myself buying so many sugar free foods, and now I need food with sugar! :)

I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Ashley

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. Lots of great information and support here, mixed in with occasional entertainment!

I'm about an hour away and work in Austin, there are a few central texas families on here!

And just fyi, sugar free treats have as many actual carbs as the real thing, so be careful with buying stuff like that. It's the CARBS you care about, not the amount or lack of sugar. It'll all get easier, and your son will be able to eat just like everyone else, he'll just need insulin to match what he ate.

It's overwhelming right now, but I promise it will get better.

9. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Welcome Tina. I remember being in your shoes January of 2010. Same type of thing - took him to the Dr, didn't really think I would get anything but "you are over reacting", ended up in the hospital for three days.

And the buying all new groceries! LOL

I agree with everyone else, be careful of sugar free - we got J sugar free candy and it caused his BG to go up, even though it had no sugar. I don't remember now if it had carbs or not. It might had just been the sugar alcohol. I do remember the nurse told me she wished they didn't even make that stuff because it can cause higher BG and people think it won't.

Good luck to you, it sounds like you will be just fine. :cwds:

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Welcome, Tina. Hang in there. As unimaginable as it seems right now, this will one day all come as second nature and life will seem normal again. Until then, take one day at a time and be kind to yourself. You, your son, and your family will all be okay.:cwds:

11. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Hi Tina,

My daughter (13) was diagnosed on 5/19. I too took her to the Dr. when my husband thought I was over thinking. But we also ended up with a diagnosis and a stay at the hospital. It was surreal. I am sure you are feeling a huge range of emotions. You have come to one of the best resources online. The people on here have helped me through some scary situations and they also assured me that things will get better! They were right. One month and 1 week into this and it is getting into a new normal.

One of the best things is that I am learning so much more about my daughter and despite butting heads because she is a Teen, we are also getting even closer than ever. I am so proud of her! You will find a new normal and you sound like you are already really trying to do that. It will get better and you will be able to handle it! One step at a time! One more thing is that the first week I was not sleeping well due to the grief and I told myself that I must take naps when I can. I just slowed down and stayed on what was truly important, my daughter and myself! Take care of yourself too!!

Feel free to talk anytime you need to! There are a lot of people who will support you on this site!