- advertisement -

mom of 19 month old type 1 diabetes (nervous mom)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nat07, Feb 26, 2012.

1. nat07

nat07 New Member

hey my son was diagnoed with type 1 on monday of last week. he was very serious when diagnosed. He is one of the youngest cases they have ever seen. He is only 19 months old. Is there any other moms out there with younger children and can you give me hints and help plz

2. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Welcome to the boards, though sorry you had to find us. There are many posters here who have infants/toddlers with diabetes. My son was diagnosed at 13 months and is now a 3.5 year old.

It is hard at first but one day you look up and realize there is a new " normal" and the diabetes care becomes routine. Let us know if you have any questions:)

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

My dd was dx'd at age 3. She is now 9.5. You will find a new normal, but it takes time.

Work closely with your endo team.

Do you have family members who are willing to be trained in D-care?

Seek out a support system!

Read and learn...Think like a pancreas is a good place to start.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:cwds: Im sorry you had to find us but very glad you did so soon. There are several members with very young children with type 1. My son was a little over 3 when diagnosed and is now almost 11. I know you are very nervous right now and frightened and probably a bit sad:( Lean on the diabetes team for now, they fully expect calls night and day asking questions. And dont hesistate to come here and look for help. There is usually someone around. If you feel like it there are many of us on Facebook too.

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Glad you were able to find the site. Even though I don't post much this site has helped me not feel so alone on this journey. I just met a guy who is 63 and was diagnosed with diabetes at age 1 and he is doing great.

6. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

My son will be 2 next month but was diagnosed when he was 4.5 months old. It's hard at first, but it does get better.

7. jjules

jjules Approved members

Hi, sorry to hear of your little ones diagnosis. My son has almost had diabetes two years, he was diagnosed at 8 months. Its a hard road and you will learn alot by experience. Go easy on yourself, grieve, be angry, everything you need...you cannot be perfect you aren't a pancreas...just do your best. Ask questions. My advice is get some food lists together, high carb, low or no carb, and start gathering low gi recipes. Substitute foods. Big hugs xx