- advertisement -

Mom, I don't want to be a diabetic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joseph, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I agree with you on that.

My answer to the question of "why", is that her body made a big mistake!

2. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

This makes a lot of sense to me. Recently, I picked my almost 6 yr old daughter up from school, and she had been given a bag of fruit snacks by the teacher as a reward for something she had done during the day. They always send these home so I can see it before she eats it, she wanted to eat it as soon as I picked her up.
    I told her she had to wait because I had to check her number first and we were in a rush to pick up her brother. Well, she had a royal meltdown in the car about hating "diaveetes"and when are they going to make a potion for her to drink so that it goes away. I'm driving at this point and getting upset by everything she is saying of course. But I think like you said, i was putting my adult baggage into her words. She really just wanted the treat. :)

3. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

You've got company here :wink:

Jokes apart, even I wouldn't take a 4 year old's ranting too seriously. My 5 yr old (non D) younger daughter's favorite color, best friend in her class and many other likes and dislikes change every other day. Of course, we need to attend to what's bothering them and make sure they feel better 'at that moment'.

Personally, the last thing I want is, my DD starting to worry (right now) that something horrible has happened to her (however serious it actually is). We consciously downplay her D in front of her and keep assuring her that she can indulge in & enjoy every thing she wants & as much as her peers do and we are there to take care of her D. She is expected only to check her BG, that too only when we ask her to do so.

2 weeks back, one day she came back from school looking sad. When we enquired, we found that the school was planning to take the kids out on picnic for a day to some resort and she was worried as to who will count the carbs in what she was going to eat there. I told her not worry about it and that I would find out about the food they would be given that day and program her basal accordingly. Hearing this she erupted in joy and it was quite a sight. She thoroughly enjoyed her picnic and was a super happy kid on the picnic day.

For me, it's all about keeping her assured that diabetes is not going to cripple her life in any way. The way I personally look at D is that there are many things that our body cannot produce/manage on its own, like food/energy. D just adds insulin to that list.

I know I am so very new to this and haven't faced any complications, yet. But I am determined to remain motivated and keep my DD motivated. Let's see how it goes.

4. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

This is the way we believe and have approached this as well. DD's faith has been a big encouragement to her and I hope that this will strengthen her faith even more. And someday I think that she will most likely go on to use her experience with D to help others either in the D world or somewhere else. I see her getting involved in service to others somehow because I think this is going to intensify her desire to help others. Maybe that just sounds like the ramblings of a mother who wants to find some good in this, but in my heart I truly believe that someday she will look back and be thankful for her D. As much as I don't want her D to define her, I do know that its going to help shape who she becomes.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Completely agree. I hope she goes on to make a difference. She already loves to help people. I try to find the good in bad things too. It's made me a better person, much more thankful. Especially thankful that she is not in a wheelchair, has learning problems, or has something worse. Just yesterday, I met a young woman, younger than me, dealing with her son having a liver disease. I think it wS like glycogen storAge disease.. Something like that. So he gets low bg like a diabetic would but with a host of other problems.. Feeding tube, enlarged heart, failing liver. Those things make me so thankful that my daughter has diabetes. I don't want diabetes to always be a negative thing in her life.

6. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I'm with you. The counting and dosing and monitoring and worrying and worrying and worrying ... it sucks. But the worst part by far is when my son gets sad about having D. Breaks my heart. Not sure there's any way around it. I talk to him about we all have our challenges, some harder then others, blah blah blah. It's a talk I hate having but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not sure there's anything else to do. One day at a time.