- advertisement -

Moderate ketones and pod change at 30,000 feet

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mo1, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Just switched to the Omnipod two weeks ago right before visiting family in Hawaii. DD ran low the first part of the trip. Flt from Chicago to LA was fine. Had lunch and BG started to rise during layover. Did a correction before boarding the next flt. Within the first hour of a 5 hour flight DD was 418 with moderate ketones and Dex rising. Checking for ketones with a 7 year old in an airplane lavatory quite challenging. So was changing her pod (after a correction by injection) in the small seat space. It was only our second pod change. By the end of the flight Her BG was in range and negative for ketones. Our seat mate was great and clutched a vial of insulin for me as we made the pod change.

The Pods have worked great in the ocean, tub and pool thus far. We had a few other moments including an occlusion at 3 a.m. but the issues were what you would expect from pumping. DD loves the Pods because of no tubing. I thought we'd alternate between TSlim (love it too) and Omnipod but maybe not. Love having both options and appreciate the forum for providing good information and helping me make good decisions on pumps. I wish the TSlim and Omnipod were fused. I miss some options on the Tslim that the Omnipod does not have. Love not having to disconnect. But as a parent I love Dex most of all.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sounds like you managed things really well. Long flights are always "interesting" but now you've got that under your belt '-)

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Good for you! You're officially a pro now. I would look into getting a blood ketone meter though.

4. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Absolutely get a blood ketone meter!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's not unusual to have to run a temp increased basal for many hours when my daughter travels. Inactivity and excitement are usually the culprit.
    I highly suggest getting a blood ketone meter!