- advertisement -

MM vs. tslim

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Dec 2, 2014.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Hi,

I don't really know why I'm asking this, as we still have a long time before we can switch pumps (apparently insurance covers new pump every 5 years, not 4). But I'm wondering about the difference in cost between Medtronic and tslim. The actual pump, as well as the sets, Or ongoing cost. Are they similar?

I can see Ds liking the idea of the tslim, with its touch screen and all. He likes gadgets and tech stuff. Plus it seems easier to type in a number instead of scrolling.

Another question, does the screen scratch easily? Is it plastic or glass? I like the idea of touch screen but when I see all the scratches on his current pump, and seeing as how it goes everywhere with him (including sledding down sand dunes. The pump did fine but his meter went too and it was so very full of sand! It still has some sand behind the screen. Lol) I wonder about the durability.

And how is customer service?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

You can always just use cell phone protectors to prevent scratches, just cut to fit the screen of either the MM or the t slim if it would even need adjustment.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

The screen is glass, very durable glass and comes with a protector already on it. That can be replaced just by calling Tandem if you ever need to. Customer service is awesome, and you are correct about the touch screen being a big plus. The reservoirs are cheaper, and the other ongoing costs would be the same. You can use the same sets as you do with Minimed if you want to, just have to get the luer lock version.

4. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I think either the Medtronic or Tandem T-slim pumps would be good choices. I can only speak to my personal experience with the Medtronic insulin pumps, customer service and support, and our insurance and out of pockets. Our out of pocket expense is reasonable and our insurance covers most of the devices on the market. A lot of the choice comes down to personal preference and the features which are important. If touch screen is important, I would select the T-Slim. If no tubbing is important I would go with the Omnipod. If an integrated CGM is important, you can go with off label prescription from your doctor (non-FDA approved use for children under 16) with either the Animas Vibe with integrated Dexcom sensor or the Medtronic 530G insulin pump with the Enlite sensors. When we chose a Medtronic insulin pump, it was the only insulin pump on the market with an integrated CGM. My wife use to work with a heart doctor, and trusted Medtronic because they make pacemakers and heart devices. If given the decision again, I would choose Medtronic again, based on the fact they are well established and based on the good customer service and support we have received. The 530G pump uses AAA batteries, where the T-Slim uses lithium ion batteries and needs hooked to a charging cable like a cell phone. While i like sexy tech, like a touch screen and menus over buttons, I prefer a reliable and functional medical device over something that looks like the latest iPhone. The pump will get scratched and has taken a beating on my nine year old son, but has been replaced under warranty due to physical damage, due to falling on it or dropping it or cracks which have shown up through normal use by being on a child. One advantage of the Medtronic pump besides the integrated CGM is the integration with the Bayer Contour Next Link meter which communicates wirelessly with pump, PC and Mac for uploading data to the Medtronic Carelink website for meter logs and multiple reports. Blood sugars from meter automatically appear on pump for use, so you do not have to scroll through BG numbers. I am highly technical as a technology analyst, but my semi-technical wife is able to navigate through the menus. Also our doctor highly recommended the Medtronic pump due to technology advancement. Good luck on your decision! It is a big decision!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had Cozmo, Animas and MM pumps and when the warranty is up in Feb 2015 we'll be switching to the t:slim.

We CGM with dexcom after finding the MM sensor to be wildly inaccurate, therefore I'd never trust the suspend aspect, and we hated the integrated aspect (which we though would be great)

MM has always been the big gorilla in the market. Many endos have never seriously considered any other pump or perhaps never even met with the competing reps.

I have no concerns about the durability of the t:slim and don't consider it to be just a cosmetic improvement, though it will be nice to have a pump that doesn't look like it was designed in 1995.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wanted to chime in on the durability of the Tslim. It's fantastic. I find it much more durable than the dexcom receiver or the cozmo pump. The screen protector it comes with is a huge plus. The touch screen often gets messy from bolusing with food on your fingers lol! But it cleans Uo great just like a phone would. Tslim customer service is also too notch. And I like being able to recharge the battery on a standard USB port and not running out of batteries like I would with cozmo. Carson will charge his when he sleeps sometimes (with a long cord). The charge lasts days and days. Good luck!

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

The other day I stared really hard at the dexcom receiver, and it broke ;)

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I second the durability of the t:slim. I was also surprised at how long the battery charge lasts. My son plugs it in while he's showering and it's never been an issue.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Love the tSlim, still looks like new 9 months in. Best customer service ever, most of them pumpers themselves. Can't imagine choosing anything else at this time, and she has used many pumps. So user friendly, its hard to believe how easy it is to navigate the menus.

10. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

Another vote for t:slim. I have one kid on t:slim and one on Medtronic. The only durability issue I've had with t:slim is the clip. We're on our 3rd or 4th clip since switching in January. We just had to replace another one last week, but they shipped me another one right away (plus my rep helped me out, to get a replacement even faster). They also told me they're redesigning it--the new version should be available in February, and I just need to call and request the new one then, and they'll send it for free. (yay!)
    The only other downside we found to t:slim vs. Medtronic is that it sets off the metal detectors at TSA, while Medtronic doesn't. It meant that Jack had to endure a few pat-downs when we flew last time, and Nate didn't, even though they both have pumps.

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

^^^ This made me laugh so much! I agree.The receiver is not very sturdy.

^^^ Such great points to consider.Also I think the T-slim limits choices of insulin, since Apidra is not recommended.
    Of course medtronic will not integrate with Dexcom, which is really quite a shame. Good sturdy pump. The thresh suspend of 530 g is a nice feature.

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

And In New Zealand we can only get Animas or Medtronic.... sad with all the options out there.