- advertisement -

MM Sensor Problems - Am I Alone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HeatherAnn, Aug 9, 2009.

1. HeatherAnn

HeatherAnn Approved members

My son has been on the MM sensor for the last 8 months. The first 4 months, it worked great! We were thrilled! The last 4 months have been filled with error messages all over the place to the point that we're hardly getting any use out of it because it is so off all of the time.
    I've called Minimed over and over and have not gotten much help. I have heard from my son's endo that others are experiencing frustrations over this. I'm wondering if it is the sensors themselves. Or maybe the transmitter?
    Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Have you found any solutions? Any advice?

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I had many issues with accuracy and error messages (cal error, lost sensor, weak signal, false low and high alarms) and ended up giving up. I never did a find a solution. I hope you do. It seems to be largely luck of the draw.

3. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

We have also experienced some problems... in fact we ended up returning a box of 10 sensors, as 3 of them did not work properly.. Lost Sensors etc. after initial insertion. We had to battle with MM quite a bit, but in the end they did replace the entire box!

4. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We had a lot of sensors that were totally bad. I called several times over this Lot of sensers. They tried to help as much as they could, but nothing would do the trick. I told them I wanted the box replaced. They replaced the first box of sensors. We used the replacement box and it was WONDERFUL. then we went back to another box from the same lot that gave us hell. Started having problems all over again. I called our trainer/rep and he gave us some of his sensors from a different lot. They worked wonderful. I called MM up and told them I wanted the box replaced. They have since replaced the 2nd box from the same lot. I still have 1 more box from the same lot that I will probably have replaced. BTW the Lot number is C309

5. MLH

MLH Approved members

sensor issues

I find the same thing. A new transmitter did help. But it seems like some sensors work great and others don't. My daughter doesn't even wear it all the time anymore.

6. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Same here, but I was attempting to use a Dexcom. My DH mentioned to me that it would be just as well to write a random number (or ??? and Y) on a rock and stick it in my pocket for all the good CGMS did me. He's still pretty bitter about it even now, for all the money we wasted. At least we know now that it doesn't work for me, and we won't risk trying it again.

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, definitely sensors can be bad. And do send them back and get a replacement, especially if you have already troubleshot problems.

A few things I have noticed.

1. One side of the body may take much longer to fully wet the sensor. For us it is the left side. When I insert on that side I wait an hour or two (sometimes longer) before I connect the sensor and do sensor start (if I do it after the recommended 5 minutes, I do not get the green light, do not get ISIGS and do get error messages.

2. Do not calibrate when the BG is very high (even if it is stable). IME this throws the sensor off and it shows tiny BG changes as big ones. For instance the BG goes up 5 points, but the sensor registers a 50 point increase. (Ditto for calibrating when BG is very low.)

3. If you are using the integrated system, keep the pump on the same side of the body that the sensor is on (Front or back) . This is easily accomplished with a pumpt teeshirt ( Can be turned around easily) or a pump clip. I find it more difficult with a pump pack, since it seems to gravitate to the front. (I don?t have experience with the Guardian unit, so I am not sure if the issue is the same.

I hope some of these are helpful to you!

8. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Exactly same problems,

we are having sensors since december. First 6 months perfect. Maybe one two did not work.
    Now the numbers are so off soo many times. We have returned once the whole lot but i am finding this in almost all of them now.
    Would have to talk to MM as well.