- advertisement -

MM Quickset - site failures! Used to be 3 days - now 2

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

The MM Quicksets used to last 3 - 4 days easily and now last only 2 - 2 1/2. Have they modified the infusion part at all? It has only just started with new boxes - expiry 2011. (Not the lot 8 ones though).

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We've never gotten more than 2 - 2.5 days out of them. We started pumping last summer.

When we forget to change the set and let it go 3 days he runs high. :(

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It may not be the sets, but the body, if you are using the same spots all the time, insulin absorbtion will be effected.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thanks Snowbound - yes our dd runs high too! I know it is not great for you - but thank you for telling me 2 - 2.5 days is standard for you! At least I don't feel like we are the only ones!
    Kaylees Mum - I think you are right. We have been moving them further and further apart - it might be hormones too! I don't want to move them to her tum - she doesn't have a lot of "extra" there and I think she is quite happy not having to see the sites! At least I know now that you guys don't think it is the sets. Thank you.:)

5. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

We used to have the same problem with Lindsay not getting but two days from a site but when we switched to Apidra, we do not have that problem at all anymore. We regularly go 4 days, and have accidentally gone 5 before and never have a problem with high numbers. She uses Sure T's.

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have been seeing that as well - have been able to 3-4 days with no trouble. He is coming up on the three year mark and I thought it was just that he was moving out of his honeymoon - foods that never bothered him are more spikey too.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am quite skeptical about pharmaceutical companies and it did cross my mind that they had maybe made the cannula a fraction smaller so that the body would heal around it that bit quicker. That is maybe why the Apidra works a bit better. It might be a little less viscous.

Sooo.. - WendyTT - the Apidra going well then? I understand it will be available over here, NZ, shortly and am quite keen to try. How long does it take before the spikes come down? (Sorry - it has been a very busy year - and I am probably asking questions already answered!)

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We ended up switching to sure-ts from quicksets because we started to have to change them sooner (first 3-4 days, then 3 days, then 2 days and sometimes every other day!) We get 3 solid days from the sure-t

9. pookas

pookas Approved members

We easily get 3 days out of the MM quiksets. COuld just be the body changing?

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Do you use Humalog or Novalog? We get 4 days out of Novalog easily, but with Humalog we were seeing a rise at day 2.5.

11. simom

simom Approved members

We were having a lot of problems with Quicksets clogging this summer - not sure whether that was a symptom of Lot 8, or just YDMV. We switched to Sure-T and it has made a world of difference. We do 3 days, but could probably do more other than wanting him to heal. I like the "remote detach" on the Sure T also.

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Karla - We use Novo at the moment, but I am pretty keen to try apidra to get on top of any spikes. Might help with the duration too. Wendytt has had some luck with it.

Simom - are they the diagonal inserts? We tried them the first day we had the pump and it nearly put dd off pumps altogether. It was very painful. Have you had any trouble with them in that regard?

13. Sportster

Sportster Approved members

Can you explain to me why changing to the Sure T's would result in getting 3 days?

14. Gina_NoahsMom

Gina_NoahsMom Approved members

We use 2 different type of sets for 2 parts of my son's body and the 2 different sets have different durations... We put ultraflex for his backside and they last 3 days and put comfort short on his belly which used to last 2.5 days and now it looks more like 1.5 day, so he runs high half the day :(

I think that his body is changing. I have a theory about the duration between our two sets though, one is air-tight (the straight-in one) and the other one is not (the 45 degree one), the cannula goes through the plastic window to go into the skin so air can get to his skin around the inserted cannula. He gets infected easily. We used to put an IV-3000 on this set and that would help, but not now, neither that nor Tegaderm will do the trick to prolong his tummy sets...

We really alternated between the sites but by months, one month on the tummy (changing sides every 2 days) and the other on the backside.

It's a shame that we can't do a thing to prolong the sets, the skin and body lets us know how long we should do this and have to listen ;) but I'm sure that with time we have to test the limits just to see...