- advertisement -

MM CGMS vs Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bgallini, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Ok...

So Alex is willing to do the cgms. We like the features of the dexcom, esp being able to calibrate at any time. But he has a Minimed pump so having just the pump which doubles as the cgms receiver is a big plus.

I know others have gone thru this decision process and people are using both options....what are your opinions?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You can calibrate MM cgms at any time as well. It will ask for one 2 hours after insertion, then at 6 hours (but you can do it 15m after the first 2 hour cal) and then every 12 hours after that.. we actually do 3 or 4 times a day.. when she's stable..

We LOVE having the intergration of the MM pump and cgms.. it has more alarms, especially the predictive alarms, than any other cgms. Its completely customizable.. We also have the extra guardian unit, bg reads to both, we keep the guardian for our use, in the car, or at the table in the house, so we don't have to constantly bug her to read her pump.. but its constantly reading to her pump, which will be great when she's more on her own.. looking at her own readings, she doesn't need to carry two units. We only download the pump.. we don't bother to down load the guardian readings, since they match anyway.

3. bgallini

What I understand is that with the Dexcom, you can calibrate even if your bg is rising or dropping quickly while with the MM you need to wait until things are steady, preferably when they first wake up or just before a meal or something.

4. Flutterby

I don't wait until things are steady.. I try not to do with with multiple arrows.. but I do it right before meals, while food is working and insulin.. I HAVE done it with an arrow.. That being said, I think the cgms is a good match for Kaylee.. we get really good numbers, very accurate and her A1c, meter and cgms are all within a few points of each other. When we first started out with the cgms we didn't calibrate during a rapid change.. I still don't do it often, but I have done it.. and I don't see a difference.. I have never heard that you can calibrate dexcom while bg is changing rapidly, I'm sure its not 'recommended' but I'm sure people do it, just like I do it with MM... I think everyone starts out doing it as they should and then they get to learn how the body works with the cgms.. some people have very good luck, others don't..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have tried both and was surprised to discover how important only having one device to carry was to me. I did not find a big difference with the two, just really needed good training on how to work the system. there is a learning curve. Best advice is to not worry about the results per say but just get to know how to manage the system for the first few months. Read all the advice on the CGM site on CWD. Good luck. Ali

6. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have not used the MM, but we love the dexcom. It is extremely easy to calibrate and the sensors are very low profile, for what they are. The customer service has been awesome as well, with returning sensors, etc. My dd carries two devices and is fine with it. When they integrate with the ping and/or the omnipod (thinking of switching) it will be nice, but it really has not been a big deal for us. I guess it depends on what is important to you.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think if you ask around you'll find that a number of people try not to calibrate the Dexcom while numbers are rapidly changing either. From what I've read, on all the systems, you get better accuracy if you calibrate when numbers are fairly stable.

I think in your situation it comes down to how much it will bother your son to carry an extra unit. For some people it's a big deal, and for others not so much.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We have a MM pump with CGM and we have a Guardian receiver. Before the MM 723 (Revel) was released the Guardian had the predictive alerts (not just arrows)---alerts that actually told the user what was happening. This was great for Liv---she loved that feature.

And, at first, wearing 2 units was OK...BUT that soon wore off and the Guardian was being left behind or not being calibrated. Which I understand.

So, we upgraded to the Revel and she only uses the Guaridan for swimming or situations when she'd like CGM (but wearing the pump is not the best choice).

I like having all data one one pump, too.

So, for Liv...only wearing one unit is a big deal...not a self consciousness issue...just less hassle...and easier.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The other thing to consider is how prone Alex is to misplacing things. We have the Guardian too, and sometimes it seems like I spend half my day playing "Find the Guardian." Or getting a weak signal alarm and having to move it into the room where Jack is playing to get the reading back. Or getting a weak signal alarm and having to FIND it before I can move it into the room where Jack is playing.

I am 110% sure we are going to lose that thing at some point. I really need to put a sticker with my name and phone number on it.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

What does Alex think? How is he with carrying all the other diabetes supplies that he must carry on himself?? I was just talking to a mom of a recent college grad and she said it's hard to carry all that stuff at work - girls have purses; boys, not so much. ;) something other than the MM will just be one more thing for him to carry.

11. Flutterby

LOL, I was thinking the same thing the other day.. I left it in my car, hooked to the visor but swore up and down that I took it in.. I wanted to leave it behind when we went to see the fireworks so it wouldn't get lost in a crowd of people.. last I saw of it, it was clipped to her bag (usually its on me) so I had a heartattack and really thought how dumb I was to not put her info on it.. then I found it clipped to the visor.. so now I need some tape and a sharpie to put her info right on it.

There are definitely times when the guardian is convenient for US, but its never convenient for HER.. One unit is enough for her to worry about.. even though its attached to her, I still worry its going to get left somewhere..

12. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

We trialed both Dexcom and Guardian and chose to go with Guardian. We liked that it saves 40 minutes of data if out of range, so we can keep the receiver with us and my son doesn't have to wear 2 units (we already had Ping). The receiver has so much more info than Dexcom and the ??? on Dexcom were very frustrating. Also love the predictive alarms.

Dexcom's sensor and transmitter are a little more user friendly (don't need to tape the transmitter down and inserter needle is smaller), but it wasn't enough to beat other Guardian advantages. My son doesn't seem to mind the transmitter and when we tried the insertion on ourselves, it didn't hurt that much. We use EMLA for him though.

We found that with Dexcom the sensor is more accurate when calibrated at stable blood sugars, so we didn't see any advantage there. We calibrate upon waking, in the afternoon and night, so it's not that hard to find time when BGs are somewhat flat.

We've had the MM CGMS for 2 months now and it's been very accurate and reliable. We're happy with our choice.

All that said, my son is 2, so things we were looking for were different than what you're looking for. But I agree that having one unit would be easier for a teenager.

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I think there are trade offs that only your son will be able to choose between. My DD doesn't mind carrying the dexcom receiver. She loves that the sensor is quite low profile, inconspicuous, and doesn't require any extra tape.

My DD is not great about putting in calibrations, and it doesn't matter because she will continue to get readings and I haven't noticed it affect accuracy. She just puts in a before meal bg at some point during the day. No extra testing or planning needed.

No batteries needed for the Dexcom. You do have to keep track of the charging cord for the receiver.

My DD only needs to insert a sensor every two weeks. At 7 days, she pushes end sensor, then start sensor, then at 2 hrs puts in 2 bgs. Then she's good to go for another 7 days. The Dexcom is very low maintenance.

14. bgallini

Thanks! Alex has decided he wants the Dexcom so I called the endo today to get started on the process. Hopefully, he likes it enough to use it....and use it well!:D