- advertisement -

Mm cgms - question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by blbrocky, May 17, 2009.

1. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

We just received the CGMS and were wondering when doing an insertion of the sensor do you pinch up some fat?

My son is very thin and we are a little concerned that there isn't enough fat to insert into..:confused:

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

No we don't pinch up anything, Aidan is very thin too, we use the injecter that it came with but we do not pinch up like we doing with a shot or site.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I was told by the MM trainer not to pinch up. Apparently it messes up the interstial (sp?) fluid, and makes it not as accurate. :confused: I pinched up the first time (before training:eek:), and it was completely inaccurate, so I haven't pinched up since.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I kind of pinch up, mostly to give myself some leverage and a bigger target. Tyler is VERY LEAN, the only place on his body with meat is his tush and theres not much there. We use the inserter, I "pinch up" a bigger area than I would if giving an injection. His last 4 sensors have been right on with his meter, so I will say that it hasn't caused any problems.

I think this is another of those YDMV.

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

When Sean wears it on his arm we pinch up (I'm afraid I'd hit muscle otherwise), when he wears it on his hip we do not, when he wears it on his abdoment I insert it with him standing (sitting or laying down the sensor will hurt later).

6. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I was told by our trainer to pull the skin taunt, that you cant pinch up

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sounds like the trainers have different approaches!

We use only the upper butt area, and do not pinch up the skin.

Most important - angle the inserter a little more straight upwards than
    45 degrees (around 10 degrees more straight up), as this helps to
    prevent bleeding.

8. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We were told no pinched also. We were also trained to go in about at 45-50% angle to help with bleeding. Both of our trainers are have Type 1 diabetes and both wear the MM. They actually let us poke them 2 times each before we were did Loren's. Then our CDE let us do her 1 each time so we have 3 practices before we were able to do it on Loren.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

They told me to pinch up. When using the inserter, the one time I didn't pinch up, the needle just pushed my fat down and didn't go more than a teeny bit in- that really hurt. The skin's not firm enough without a pinch.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We use the upper butt exclusively, and do not pinch up.

11. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I do the same as above - so far no problems.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I would avoid pinching up for a CGM insertion. It is not like an injection, where you withdraw the needle after the insulin is injected - with a CGM, even after the needle is retracted, the filament remains (the filament is longer than some pump cannulas) and if there was not enough fatty there in the first place to accomodate the CGM needle, then the needle or the filament might hit some muscle once the skin in relaxed, and become kinked or irritated.

We were advised to used the butt area because dd is skinny and there are no other options, whereas the butt area has plenty of depth so there is no need to pinch up the skin.

I would also be concerned that the pressure caused by pinching up the skin might cause internal bleeding, which in turn will make the sensor less accurate because it prevents the interstitial fluid from surrounding the sensor.

We've never pinched up the skin, and have only had 1 bad sensor insertions out of more than 100... we also tilt the inserter about 10 degreed more straight up than the 45 degree skids on the inserter.

(Just my opinion)

13. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

This is interesting. I've never thought about it really. Owen won't let me use the inserters for site or sensor insertions so we are doing it manually and I always pinch up.:confused: He is so thin and legs are the best sites for sensors for us, so I feel like I need to. We always have great sensors.....:)

14. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

Thanks for all the responses.

My son does not want to use the inserter either. He would prefer to do a manual insertion like he does with the Silhouette. I have done some reading on the manual insertion and read it was a lot harder to insert the sensor. My son uses EMLA so maybe that will help.

I did read that the angle needed to be more than 45 degrees. Some even said 90 degrees.

It will be interesting to hear what they say at training.

We are a little nervous about the whole thing. A big concern is that the BG should be stable when calibrating. What happens if it isn't when you are due to calibrate? One of the manuals said to calibrate twice a day and in another area it said three to four times a day? The whole thing sounds like a lot of work. I hope my teenager is up to the task.:eek:

15. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

We always use EMLA and he doesn't even feel it. I do use a slightly greater angle than what they recommend.....maybe 60 degrees? It makes insertion easier and we never get any bleeding when we do this. Good luck!

16. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This to my son is absolutely the most challenging and doing all this amidst his normal schedule. Keep us posted!!!

17. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

My son has NO where to put a site except for his butt. We don't pinch anything, just set inserted up against the skin and go!

18. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

For me, the insertion is scary. I have to have my mom push the button on the inserter because I was freeking out to much.:eek: But I could never even imagine doing a manual insertion for it. With the inserter, I have an idea of what angle I am doing, and it is in so quickly.

I have lost quite a bit of info because I am not stable enough to callibrate when it's due for a calibration. For me, I don't even really plan how many times or when I calibrate each day. It sounds like you are worried about when he will be stable and able to calibrate, this was my main concern to. I just calibrate whenever my bg is stable enough to calibrate. If that was 2 hours after the previous one, then so be it. That just means I have 2 more hours to get my bg stable enough to calibrate again.

The calibrations, and the whole thing is a lot of work(at least for me, 1 month in it is). If he is really into it and excited about it, then it should be ok. If he doesn't really want it already, then it might be to much for him.

Good luck, and it really is worth all of the hard work!:cwds:

19. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We manually inserted the Sils, but use the inserter on the sensor. I'd really recommend trying the sensor inserter - it does it really fast. We use EMLA, and my needle-phobic 5 year old doesn't flinch.

One thing to keep in mind with respect to calibrations is that you don't have to wait until it asks for a cal to do one. We calibrate upon waking, once during the day, and once at my bedtime. So if you calibrate upon waking, and you see that BG is really steady at 11:00 a.m. - go ahead a calibrate. You've then "reset" the 12 hour window that you have, and you can go another 12 hours without a calibration. For us, it works very well to stay "ahead" of the calibrations, because you're right - if you wait until it calls for one, it's likely to be a bad time.

20. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We do pretty much the same thing on school days (he does not normally cal at school). I'll usually get a stable BG either when he gets off the bus or before dinner. But I don't buy into the instructions to calibrate no more that 3 or four time a day. MM always says this but I've never heard an adequate explanation as to why. My feeling is, if he's stable and well within range (say 80-120), Then I see no reason not to push my next cal window out to 12 hours. On weekend days, I may calibrate 6 times or more (not usually).