- advertisement -

Mm cgm

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by arogers, Mar 12, 2010.

1. arogers

arogers Approved members

My 12 year old son has been using the MM CGM for just a few weeks now and he HATES wearing the sensor. We fought with the insurance company for 6 months for this wonderful technology and he is refusing to wear it. He says it hurts all the time. He's been wearing the Omnipod for 2 1/2 years with no problems, he loves it in fact. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Where is he wearing it? If he doesn't have a lot of fat, the sensor could be rubbing against muscle. Are you using EMLA to insert? ETA: I've worn a sensor, and my 6 year old has worn one for almost two years. He shouldn't be able to feel it once it's inserted, so I really think you probably need to experiment with different sites.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  3. Toni

Toni Banned

I would use EMLA, would leave on for a full 1 to 1.5 hours which is peak anes., so he is good and numb. Would use the upper tush area because lots of fat, nerves to hit. If he cannot get used to the MM cgms I would switch to the Dexcom which has the smallest introducer needle on the market; sensor is the width of two hairs. Insurance will pay for sensors after a switch but may not pay for a new transmitter/receiver kit so soon after shelling out for the Minimed one. Can you still return MM cgms? If so, I would do it, go back through the insurance process and try Dex. Navigator, we never used so can't comment on it. I would first try to make the MM cgms work for him; however if MM won't take it back and reimburse. In nine months time insurance should pay for the Dexcom system. Ours did. The difference in comfort has been like night and day for my niece. However she still does not like wearing Dex all the time as she now considers carrying the receiver a pain and she does NOT like the alarms beeping in public. At all. We disabled the alarms when she is out which kind of negates the whole point of wearing it. Dex will still beep for a low if in the 50s. Dex is really for our management at home; she does not want to think about D more and does not like the extra level of management.

4. arogers

arogers Approved members

We are putting the sensor in his upper tush and he has plenty of meat there :), not hitting muscle. Is the EMLA cream something I can purchase without a prescription? We haven't needed it at all with his pump insertions, but sounds like it might be worth a shot.

Dexcom was our first choice but insurance was denying the claim since it wasn't FDA approved for children so we went with MM since it was the only thing they would consider.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

try and change the angle of the insertion of the sensor.. I don't know how deap your going, but if you angle it up a bit more, it may help.. where are you putting the sensor? Do you use numbing cream for insertion?

I see you answered my questions above.. guess, I should read through ALL responses before I responded ;)

Try the side of his arm.. the tush, there is a lot of movement, sitting, standing, pants going up and down.. We love having it on the arm (Kaylee is very lean, no fat, and it works very well there.. ) we use the outside of the arm between the elbow and shoulder, about midway.. we get awesome accuracy and Kaylee forgets its there.. EMLA you need a perscription for, but I believe you can get LMX over the counter.

After insertion, he shouldn't be able to feel it.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Toni gave some great advice. Just want to add that make sure it's taped down so it isn't moving. Make sure it's in a place that isn't rubbing and that has some fat to it. what is it that hurts exactly? Is it the actuall place where it's inserted or is it the whole area from the seashell pressing against him and digging into his skin. You can put something between the skin and receiver, like a small piece of tape.

Also, did you have the mm rep come and show you how to insert it? Is it possible it's too deep or too shallow rather than at 45 degrees?

Find out exactly what hurts and then you can address it or put it in a place that won't get bumped. If not then ask to return it. If not then wait 8 months go with the dex. Btw, the mm sensor is suppoed to have a thinner needle soon--not sure when though--so you might get new sensors that are more comfy.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You need a prescription for EMLA, but LMX4 is similar, and available over the counter. (But usually is kept behind the counter.) The big advantage to EMLA is that insurance generally covers it, since it is prescription-only.

Are you putting it fairly high up on his bum so he's not sitting on it?

ETA: Oh, yes. Some kids get skin irritation from the transmitter sitting on the skin. We put a small piece of tape between his skin and transmitter, and that has cleared that problem up totally.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yes you need a script for the emla. Totally worth it.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

Oh, there's your problem. You really need to use EMLA for MM insertion, I think. There are some brave souls who don't. Yes, you need a doctor's prescription for EMLA; endo should give you one. I would leave the EMLA on longer than the 45 minutes. It does take effect after 45 minutes but reaches its peak at 1.5 hours. One hour should do it.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I find that, once it's inserted, the least painful place is my arm (least movement, bending, clothes rubbing etc). It hurts a bit to insert (I don't do numbing cream - I'm allergic to most things so I tend to avoid anything touching my skin that can be avoided :p) but it certainly isn't unbearable and I don't have much fat.

11. mph

mph Approved members

My ds prefers to wear the CGMS on his arm rather than bottom. He says it is harder to sled, sit, potty, play, etc. with it on his bottom.:cwds: Plus as another poster mentioned you will need to place a barrier between the transmitter and the skin to prevent a "burn" (amplified by sitting on it or sleeping on it!). We use a small piece of gauze.

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Ditto on the arm sites...my dd says that's the best place. I had her put one in my arm with no EMLA, and that sucker hurt for about two hours. I definitely think numbing cream is the way to go!

13. arogers

arogers Approved members

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I will definitely try the arm as a site and call the endo on Monday for the EMLA. Thanks again!!