- advertisement -

MM CGM Sensors s/o

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nikichickee, Oct 29, 2010.

1. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

The Dex sensor thread got me wondering how many days you guys get out of a MM sensor. I know to override and go for the 6 days but was wondering if anyone ever goes for another 3 after. I don't think I would do much more then the 6 since CJ's poor skin is already scarring quite a bit by then but just wondering if this was another D rule made to be broken ... Says the lady who really did change lancets at each poke for a good month or two after dx.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If your child has skin issues you could not go that long. If like my older son that has no skin issues with the Dexcom goes 14 days (and could go more). My younger son who has had skin issues with the Dex, I only have went 7 days on the MM CGM. knowing his past problems I don't want to push it. He had worn the Dexcom for almost two months no problems in the beginning. 14 days each sensor. I think it caused the reaction to maybe happen faster.

3. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

I usually change the sensor after it is totally dead, because of paying oop. Usually we get 8-10 days, one extraordinary sensor lasted 16 days.

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I think your child's skin should come first. Have you tried putting a piece of Opsite tape on the skin before inserting the sensor (with a small hole cut out of the Opsite where you insert the sensor)? Or have you tried putting a barrier wipe on the skin to help protect it before inserting the sensor?

Abby's skin gets a little irritated but nothing terrible. I find when I place a piece of gauze between the transmitter and skin it does wonders. We also cover the transmitter with a knee sized band aid. We used to cover the transmitter and sensor with Opsite tape, but in my opinion it was over kill.

As long as the sensor site is looking good we keep recharging the sensor and putting it back on.

5. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

well we had skin issues at first but once we started tucking a gauze pad under the transmitter it hasn't been a problem thankfully. By scarring I mean the little hole where the straw is inserted, I'm just not sure if the length of time it stays in would have an effect on the severity of it.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We routinely get 7 days out of a sensor, and then are often able to recharge the transmitter and put it back on, getting another 1-3 days out of the site. Even with that long duration, dd's sites heal up pretty well (as opposed to her infusion set sites, which do not).