- advertisement -

MM CGM sensor needle

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Jul 13, 2011.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Anyone hear any news on this yet? When we had our JDRF walk in Feb 2011 they told us that it would probably be about 6 months when the new shorter needle came out. I haven't heard anything else since then about it.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

They're so full of crap.

Here's what I've heard. Apparently the FDA will not let MM release the Enlite sensor (submitted for 6 day wear) with the current pumps that require a restart at day 3. I have a couple thoughts on this: (1) That's asinine. I don't understand why MM wouldn't be allowed to just include an insert with the sensors instructing people to restart on day 3. LIKE EVERYONE DOES ALREADY. :rolleyes: (2) If MM knew this, why didn't they just submit the Enlite for 3 day wear in the US, and then resubmit for 6 day wear once the new pump came out?

So, apparently MM is deciding whether or not to upgrade the software in the Revel pumps to accommodate 6 day wear or to wait to release the Enlite until the next generation pump is released.

So, you ask, when is the next generation pump coming out? Well, it was supposed to be out in 2009. And 2010. And 2011. And now 2012. So basically who knows? Animas is not helping matters any, as they can't get their act together on the Vibe, so MM has no incentive to get anything new out either. They can just keep pedaling the same old pump and crowing about how they're the only integrated pump on the market. :rolleyes:

Can you tell I'm annoyed? :p

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Darn. I thought we would be able to see the shorter needle by this Fall. They were so matter of fact when telling me in February too. :(

4. hawkeyegirl

I remember our rep telling us when we started the sensor (in June, '08) that the new sensors with the shorter needles would be available in six months or less. So I've grown cynical to say the least. :rolleyes:

5. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Didn't the Revel come in in 2010?

6. Nobby1

Nobby1 Approved members

The new sensor is already available in South Africa (they are probably using us third world country people as guinea pigs :rolleyes:) (really just a joke!!! :D), we had the opportunity to view it recently at a pump workshop held by our endo and Medtronic. It is not really shorter but indeed very very thin, you have to hold it up to the light to be able to see it. My friends daughter is already using it and they love it. Hope you guys get it soon!

7. Lize

Lize Approved members

I am the friend who's daughter is using it...:D:D It is indeed very thin and a little shorter. And you can't actually see the needle which is one of the things that used to terrify my DD! Another + for me is that we insert it without Emla. It really doesn't hurt. As far as accuracy goes - for us it is about 95% on her thigh. :cwds:

8. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

:):):):):):):)

9. hawkeyegirl

Oh yes. It was predicted to come out in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Do you see a pattern here? ;)

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's available in the UK as well, and other European countries. I've used 3 Enlite sensors, and overall I'm pleased with them.

They hurt far less, track very well at extreme BG values (Sof-Sensors are most accurate for me between about 90-180) and do better with calibrations out of range and when BG is moving quickly. The first one I tried (arm) was completely useless. The second (abdomen) was pretty good and lasted I think 12 days, which is unusually long for me. The third (upper butt) has been the best, and has tracked really nicely through some extreme highs and lows.

11. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Do they work with the current transmitters?

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes.

(Message too short.)

13. hawkeyegirl

I just wanted to add that my understanding is that the next generation pumps will have a new algorithm that will make the Enlite even more accurate than it is with the Paradigm series. If you look at Medtronic's clinical trials, you can see that they are doing some studies where the CGM data is analyzed by that algorithm retrospectively.